• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Changing Careers... How Does One Accomplish This Most Magical of Tasks?

A

Anew Leaf

My current ideas: Writer or PsyD.

Pro on Writing: It's awesome!
Con on Writing: I would actually have to write.

Pro on PsyD: It's meaninful!
Con on PsyD: I will be marrying myself to Debt, and Debt isn't that great in bed.

I did a web search on "careers for INFPs" and I pretty much wanted to barf at my type.

I guess my question to the external world is:

• What are other career options that I could explore?
  • How do I go about creating an actual game plan to get these ideas done?
  • What is the meaning of my life?
  • Why are tacos soo delicious?

And here is a picture of a cute puppy to sucker you into answering me:
cute-puppy5.jpg

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
*suckered in by the cute puppy*

Pro on Writing: It's awesome!
Con on Writing: I would actually have to write.
:rofl1:

Pro on PsyD: It's meaninful!
Con on PsyD: I will be marrying myself to Debt, and Debt isn't that great in bed.
Yeah, but see, PsyD's are! :newwink:

Throw typology out the window. It's only useful to the point that it gives you attractive career suggestions and in showing possible pros and cons about your extrapolated happiness in each field. I prefer real happiness myself.

Do what you would be happiest doing regardless of money, but also consider if it makes enough money so as not to detract from that happiness.

If that's doesn't work for you, find a career which is tolerable and capable of producing enough money to become financially independent quickly.

And if that doesn't seem to work, find a career which is just tolerable.

If that doesn't work, marry someone who has had more success at the above, and is open to letting you pursue whatever.

And finally, if that doesn't work, marry someone who wants kids and likes the idea of you being a stay at home parent. Edit: or just a stay at home spouse? :laugh:

I kind of like the PsyD option though. I seriously considered it myself, and might still do it some day.

[*]What is the meaning of my life?
The meaning is in the quest to make it more meaningful. :)

[*]Why are tacos soo delicious?
It's the seasoning in the meat, and the contrast between the hard and soft food textures and flavors.

A

Anew Leaf

*suckered in by the cute puppy*

173700.jpg

Yeah, but see, PsyD's are!

*jots note down on notepad* Sleep with a Doctor.

Throw typology out the window. It's only useful to the point that it gives you attractive career suggestions and in showing possible pros and cons about your extrapolated happiness in each field. I prefer real happiness myself.

Good point. I look at the list of "magical" careers for INFPs and the summation I come up with is that INFPs don't do anything particularly useful... It's a giant list of "oh, be free little butterfly and fly!" That's awesome, but doesn't pay my mortgage or pool boy.

Do what you would be happiest doing regardless of money, but also consider if it makes enough money so as not to detract from that happiness.

That would be marine biology. I might as well be an English Major... oh wait, that's right, that's what I am! :D

If that's doesn't work for you, find a career which is tolerable and capable of producing enough money to become financially independent quickly.

I dub this the "inherit millions" from my relatives plan. Unfortunately, I am not in their wills. Also, they probably aren't millionaires.

And if that doesn't seem to work, find a career which is just tolerable.

I am currently running my own business. It definitely has it's rewards - independence, etc. But this business wasn't my dream (enter whiny INFP syndrome.... NOW) and therefore my soul is desperately seeking something more worthwhile and magical and (considering past desires) doesn't exist yet.

If that doesn't work, marry someone who has had more success at the above, and is open to letting you pursue whatever.

I like this plan!

INFP SEEKS ENTJ FOR GOOD TIME IN VEGAS WEDDING CHAPEL

What do you think about that ad? I think it's pretty straight-forward... ENTJs like that kind of stuff right? Right?!

And finally, if that doesn't work, marry someone who wants kids and likes the idea of you being a stay at home parent. Edit: or just a stay at home spouse?

INFP SEEKS ESTJ FOR MARRIAGE.

I have a secret fear (And I am not really joking) that if I ever have children, I will misplace them. :c Like, this morning I couldn't find my keys for 30 minutes. Finally found them under a pile of cushions from my couch.

The meaning is in the quest to make it more meaningful.

Gah! And now we have come back to the center of this shrubbery maze.

It's the seasoning in the meat, and the contrast between the hard and soft food textures and flavors.

Now I want tacos for dinner. :c

ygolo

My termites win
Take stock of your interests, your desired skills, "your people", your desired lifestyle, and your desired role in the world. What occupations would combine all these things? Only you can answer this. But you may need to interview a lot of people who have careers that look "correct" for you on "first pass".

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Having done a major career shift I'd make a few observations:

1) Get REALLY tired of what you are doing now. It helped me motivate myself to make a change. When people asked me "how could you walk away from a good career and go back to school" my reply was: "Easy, I was so sick of what I was doing there wasn't enough money possible to keep me there".

2) If you have debt, get rid of it. You can't go and get retrained with an $600 car payment hanging over your head and bunch of consumer debt.

3) If the career switch is radical and there are a few fundamentals you need to pick (more math or what ever) check out your local CC and see if you can do them part time before you jump into a full time "back to school" life style. You'll get done more quickly, you'll feel like you are making progress while you are rearranging your life, and you'll know if the new path is really all that attractive.

4) Either don't become a parent or wait until the kids are at least partially self sufficient.

5) Tacos are delicous because you can stuff them with just about anything and you almost HAVE to eat them out of your hands.

A

Anew Leaf

Veterinarian. :)

I have thought about this. ^_^ I likez ze animals!

Take stock of your interests, your desired skills, "your people", your desired lifestyle, and your desired role in the world. What occupations would combine all these things? Only you can answer this. But you may need to interview a lot of people who have careers that look "correct" for you on "first pass".

Interests: Animals, science, learning, creating, people, writing, reading, analyzing.

Desired Skills: Being creative, inventive, independence, analyzing, problem solving, idea generating

People: ???

Lifestyle: Being independent/self-sufficient, low-key, hopefully someday by a giant pool of water

Role in World: Bringing meaning to life, showing something new, creating something new, helping somehow making something vaguely better

Occupations: Writing.... And now I am re-stuck. :)

Bingo. One life. Make it happen. Ask questions later.

Haha, yes. Except for the fact that me being a scientist would be all about me being alone on a boat somewhere doing things alone and not talking to another human being for a few years. Which sounds perfectly lovely to me, but doesn't really bring a soul kind of meaning to anyone's life. Plus it would encourage my hermitage self to come forth and take over. Wait... maybe that isn't a bad idea... ;) Ok, goodbye forever! I am off to my island in the south Pacific!

South-Pacific-Islands.jpg

Having done a major career shift I'd make a few observations:

1) Get REALLY tired of what you are doing now. It helped me motivate myself to make a change. When people asked me "how could you walk away from a good career and go back to school" my reply was: "Easy, I was so sick of what I was doing there wasn't enough money possible to keep me there".

2) If you have debt, get rid of it. You can't go and get retrained with an $600 car payment hanging over your head and bunch of consumer debt.

3) If the career switch is radical and there are a few fundamentals you need to pick (more math or what ever) check out your local CC and see if you can do them part time before you jump into a full time "back to school" life style. You'll get done more quickly, you'll feel like you are making progress while you are rearranging your life, and you'll know if the new path is really all that attractive.

4) Either don't become a parent or wait until the kids are at least partially self sufficient.

5) Tacos are delicous because you can stuff them with just about anything and you almost HAVE to eat them out of your hands.

2- Easier said than done. My debt is school loan from my BA, and my house mortgage. No car or CC debt. Which is why I am having a hard time considering doing the PsyD because from what I have currently researched, I would be adding another 150k to my debt load. Yikes!

3- It's looking like it will have to be radical. I thought about getting my MFA, but then decided against it. (MFA would be the easiest route for me since I have my undergrad covered.) Getting a masters in creative writing seems like a waste of time to me. Either I have the talent or I don't. And considering what drivel does get published, the only thing really standing in my way is my own self.

So let's brainstorm what soul selling series I could create. The Necrophilia/Beastiality market is already cornered thanks to Stephanie Meyers. So maybe I could write a children's series about a lonely star who shoots down to earth. Or a heart warming tale of a girl who falls down a well and ends up in the land of elves. Or something else.

4- Currently not an issue.

5- Tacos ARE delicious. I think I will make some tacos tonight and stuff them with.... more tacos. *world explodes*

But seriously - a big bunny thanks to everyone who has replied so far! I appreciate the idea generating. I know myself well enough that I am fond of jumping off cliffs into fantasy land, and I am trying to keep some practicality about myself as well.

Other careers I have given thought to:
Law school - did my research and discovered there are far too many law student graduates and not enough law jobs.
Nursing - This one still kind of intrigues me. I like medical stuff.

I do have to laugh at ICUP's similar thread since they are complaining about being too old at 29 and I am thinking I am too old at 33. ;)

Here is a bunny picture as thanks to you all! :D

very-disapproving-bunny.jpg

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
[*]What are other career options that I could explore?

Think of a job that you'd look forward to waking up in the morning

[*]How do I go about creating an actual game plan to get these ideas done?

Try to expose yourself to that job in some ways. Either by meeting people who work there, volunteering, etc.
Just don't rush to sign up for a school offering a degree in your desired field, because 1. Studying a certain field in college isn't the same as working in that field, in fact, it could be a completely different experience. 2. You might not even need a degree to work there, (experience almost always beats education) 3. Chances are, you will incur an ASSLOAD of debt

[*]What is the meaning of my life?
It will end before you know it, so make the most of it.

[*]Why are tacos soo delicious?

The secret ingredient is crack.

A

Anew Leaf

Wait, I thought you were like 47. No? :D

Yeah, 1977 is a pretty old year. :whistling:

Think of a job that you'd look forward to waking up in the morning

Try to expose yourself to that job in some ways. Either by meeting people who work there, volunteering, etc.
Just don't rush to sign up for a school offering a degree in your desired field, because 1. Studying a certain field in college isn't the same as working in that field, in fact, it could be a completely different experience. 2. You might not even need a degree to work there, (experience almost always beats education) 3. Chances are, you will incur an ASSLOAD of debt

It will end before you know it, so make the most of it.

The secret ingredient is crack.

Thanks, Edgar! Very succinct advice. I appreciate it. I am going to do some brainstorming of ideas and I will keep that in mind (looking forward to waking up) when I do it. :offtobed:

wolfy

awsm
I changed at thirty. Find a passion and work towards it. There is always the point you have to take the leap. This old book Pathfinder was pretty good at helping decide on careers. I like Jim Collin's hedgehog concept too. One word of warning, no matter how much passion you have there will always be times and aspects that you dislike your work. That's why you get paid, otherwise they'd be charging you. But if you have passion, you can put up with pain, that's the magic of passion.

Georges St-Pierre - "Lose Yourself" Montage

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saturned,
I'm going to start a Psych degree by correspondence next year, because I like the idea of being paid to chat to people for a living. I'm also 33 as well. Also it is my intention to write a self help book which is an international best seller, and earns me pots of money. I'm thinking of calling it something oober cheesy, like the road less travelled, or some thing like that. As a co-worker said to me " if you actually did half, even a quarter of the ideas you come with, I think you would be a millionaire. Or at least extremely well off."
I'm serious about the the Psych degree though.

ygolo

My termites win
By "your people", I mean the type of people you like to spend time with. It's OK to be picky here. You may be able to spend a lot of time with a lot of different types of people. Most people are so able. The question is who will bring you the most energy, enthusiasm, and interest to interact with, especially in a work capacity?

I have thought about this. ^_^ I likez ze animals!

Interests: Animals, science, learning, creating, people, writing, reading, analyzing.

Desired Skills: Being creative, inventive, independence, analyzing, problem solving, idea generating

People: ???

Lifestyle: Being independent/self-sufficient, low-key, hopefully someday by a giant pool of water

Role in World: Bringing meaning to life, showing something new, creating something new, helping somehow making something vaguely better

Occupations: Writing.... And now I am re-stuck. :)

Haha, yes. Except for the fact that me being a scientist would be all about me being alone on a boat somewhere doing things alone and not talking to another human being for a few years. Which sounds perfectly lovely to me, but doesn't really bring a soul kind of meaning to anyone's life. Plus it would encourage my hermitage self to come forth and take over. Wait... maybe that isn't a bad idea... ;) Ok, goodbye forever! I am off to my island in the south Pacific!

South-Pacific-Islands.jpg

Based on all this, what is your real objection to Marine Biologist?

The criticisms you brought up are necessarily true. You could be a marine biologist for an aquarium and spend a lot of time with people. Even on your field trips you would usually go with a team of biologists, is my understanding. The days of the solo scientist are long behind us, if they ever existed.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The days of the solo scientist are long behind us, if they ever existed.

Except for in universities. University scientists are, for the most part, able to run their own show. They may have a small lab with just one or a few researchers working under them (very small group), and there are even others who do not have a research team - who do some independent research or maybe research in an area like "science education" where no real labwork is necessary. Collaboration between scientists does happen, but many of them do stay to themselves in large part. It is never totally 100% solitary but, relative to other careers, there is a lot of independence.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
As a co-worker said to me " if you actually did half, even a quarter of the ideas you come with, I think you would be a millionaire. Or at least extremely well off."

Of this, I know well. I have a book of "ideas" where, when I get an idea, I write it down to research later and determine feasibility. Everything from a new system for ankle strap shoes to an air-powered car. I think having 3 in my tritype must be useful, because I do actually have enough motivation to get stuff done. But I get side-tracked so very badly sometimes. Only now am I coming close to the fruition of one idea, over 2 years after the idea first came to me. I planned it on such a massive scale I nearly paralyzed my activity on it.

But still, so many ideas, so little time. Now if I could clone myself ... :D

The key question Saturned, is to answer, "What Do You Want?" And that is the hardest question of all. I decided that step 1 of that answer for me was to have no debt. Thus enabling me to freely pursue more NF passions, without the fear of ignoring important financial obligations.

ygolo

My termites win
Except for in universities. University scientists are, for the most part, able to run their own show. They may have a small lab with just one or a few researchers working under them (very small group), and there are even others who do not have a research team - who do some independent research or maybe research in an area like "science education" where no real labwork is necessary. Collaboration between scientists does happen, but many of them do stay to themselves in large part. It is never totally 100% solitary but, relative to other careers, there is a lot of independence.

I believe the more productive scientists are more collaborative. There is more chance of cross-pollination of ideas that way. My impression was that to even be successful, you have to be in correspondence with a great number of other scientists and engineers. Publish or perish...and publications generally require a great deal of understanding of prior research.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
Well most research groups in my field have multi-disciplinary collaborators which may be across campus, in govt labs, other universities or even industry (or some combination of the above). It is true there is a fair amount of independence particularly with schedule but it really isn't a solitary existence. There is a pretty constant stream of visitors, emails, phone calls, etc..

And lab groups can get reasonably good sized: a couple of masters, a PhD candidate and a post doc plus the primary is a pretty leaned down lab group. I've seen labs with ten or twelve people in them. And if two investigators on the same campus or (especially) same department collaborate closely the effective size of the lab group gets big fast as everybody overlaps.