• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Skilled trade vs. University education

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The oldest person I've met so far in college was in her 70's :D

But she did it more for the fun than anything else.

I have the upmost respect for anyone at any age who is willing to go into an educational setting to seek/develop new skills.

Kudo's to her :D

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
But it is sort of like Not_Me said, it depends on what you wanted to do. Engineers design the systems a lot more than they actually create and maintain those systems. They may create the first couple of systems, but after that, it is in the hands of the other people to maintain them.

Very true. I think I would rather design the systems rather than maintain them, but I certainly see the merit in being able to do both. Which I guess leads me to this piece of advice:

Why not just try your hand at the apprenticeship? If it doesn't work out, you can always do uni whenever. There's no age limit, so if the more expensive/involved option can be delayed and potentially rendered unnecessary, by all means.

I kind of like this idea simply because whatever skills I'd learn in a trade setting certainly wouldn't hurt my understanding in university if I were to go for an engineering degree. And it would be much easier to duck out of it to go to university than vise versa. And I'd be able to secure some funds to pay for that university degree.

Which one appeals to you more? Do you think you'll be bored of it in 5 or 10 years? Hard to say, but you probably have an idea.

It is hard to say, but it's definitely an important question to ask myself.

frankly, most of the 18 and 19 year old college students I know are complete imbeciles and don't have the discipline and/or attention span that a 21 year old would.

This is very true. I had no idea what the hell I was doing with anything at 18...let alone planning for my future. :laugh:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Why couldn't you do both?

One of my son's friends (who is 21) is doing his plumber's apprenticeship over the summers and taking physics in university during the school year. By the time he graduates, he will have his plumber's certification and his degree from uni! It's a brilliant plan I think.

Get creative to solve this!

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Why couldn't you do both?

One of my son's friends (who is 21) is doing his plumber's apprenticeship over the summers and taking physics in university during the school year. By the time he graduates, he will have his plumber's certification and his degree from uni! It's a brilliant plan I think.

Get creative to solve this!

Yeah, I've pretty much made the decision to do this. It's REALLY exciting, actually. But I'd be lying if at first I thought it wasn't something I could do. Pretty silly. Of course I can do both. :laugh:

And good for your son's friend!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ten years ago, I would have said, hands down, get your engineering degree because that was the general tenor of things, never nind the fact that it was shoved down everyone's throats that you needed to be ridiculously over-qualified right out of college just to get an entry-level job if you couldn't rely on nepotism or fat loads of cash to buy your way in.

Since the mass exodus of jobs overseas, I would say get qualified to the present limits of your field without going into huge debt, and then find the practical application.

I was a mechanic, started my training in 1993 at the age of 17. I have an above average IQ and the skills to acquire an upper-level education, but I had no money. None. My parents couldn't go into debt for me, and with my credits screwed up from an overseas stay at school in Antrim, I just decided to go for what I knew would hold my attention and be a necessity in the lives of others. Cars. My foremen immediately began to lean me into computer controls and hydraulics. By 1998, when I'd moved into the realm of heavy equipment/diesels, computer controls were rife on the machines and there was a strong need for highly motivated and smart people to specialize, so again, my foreman pressed me into that service. Plus, I was small enough to get into tight places (my size should have been a hobble, but it was used to my advantage). :)

Question: Do you *NEED* the degree to procede with your life goals?
Question: Is this something you would regret every day of your life if you didn't do it?

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I think tradeschool is a awesome. I don't know why there is such a giant push on college. College isn't for everyone. When my daughter is school age I may go to school for cosmetology or esthetics and work parttime.