• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Skilled trade vs. University education

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
It is no secret among my friends that I would KILL to be an engineer (I'm thinking electrical, but mechanical is also calling my name).

But recently (amidst a hike in my living expenses as well as my medication expenses) university is looking more and more like a dream right about now. I'm also 21, which is practically ancient in university years (I know, I'm exaggerating, but I'm seriously not getting any younger).

I was wondering if it wouldn't perhaps be better if I went in for, say, an electrician apprenticeship to become an electrician. It would be MUCH less expensive than uni and I know that skilled labourers tend to do pretty well for themselves financially. I can maybe do more inventive, tinkery things as a personal hobby.

I just feel that I really don't want to go through all that time and get into all that debt if I could have an equally fulfilling life doing something else. However, I also feel like engineering would be a great fit for me and I certainly have a passion and knack for it.

Anyway, advice/discussion/reprimand...it would all be appreciated here. :)

dala

MBTI Type
intp
Get your engineering degree. Life is too short to take your second choice.

-graduated at age 27

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I'm 22. I went to college for two years and I totally wasted it. I haven't gone back yet - I don't know what I really want to do there, and I don't want to waste the time and effort on something I'm not sure about.

I was in engineering the first year, actually.

Right now, I'm working various jobs, but primarily I'm a handyman. I work for myself. I'm not a full scale contractor, but I do good enough work and people like me, so I get most my jobs via referrals. I'm looking more and more into specific trades. I've considered various internship programs, but I'm still figuring out the rest of my life so I'm taking my time with it.

Some internship programs in skilled trade you can try out via their networks, but you might be able to network and meet someone in a perspective field and try working for them for a bit.

This all said, if you really are that into engineering, you could probably figure something out.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First of all, it's never too late to get your degree if that's what you want, but if financing that is a problem right now, then you may need to put that off until you can afford it and there is nothing wrong with being an electrician. That is a great job. About a year ago I met a brand new electrician here in california where I live and he was making $35/hour and was busy every day.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
At this point in time, considering how the economy is in America, all the people with their business degrees are flocking to the 9 to 5 desk jobs at large corporations (and being laid off from them), pushing paper and clicking little boxes on their computer screens. Learning a skilled trade is invaluable, because there will always be a demand for your skill and not a whole lot of people doing it. You'll have job security solely based on your unique skill, and that's comforting.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Oh, and not to mention all the jobs that have been/are being outsourced to other countries.

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
Oh, and not to mention all the jobs that have been/are being outsourced to other countries.

This is a very good point. In a world where more and more is becoming virtual, occupations which meet unavoidable natural needs will always have some degree of security that others wont. Even car mechanics are finding much of their work done via electronic diagnostics... occupations like farmer and construction worker and such will always be needed, though. Consequently, these are also the jobs that are physically arduous, which will surely reduce their appeal (which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your willingness to do them).

Phthalate

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
As a college graduate with an engineering degree - I have to ask you a couple of questions.

What sort of labor do you see yourself doing with an engineering degree? How is getting an engineering degree gonna help you with your goals?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's always good to know how to do something with your hands because what you go to university for is generally either highly specialized, therefore limiting you to a particular field, or so vague that you have to get multiple degrees in order to make it useful.

On the other hand, if you really want to be an engineer, be an engineer. If you have a real passion and a knack for it, then don't give up.

I left school because I was like, "what the hell am I doing here, I don't want to be a teacher anymore, I think I might want to arrange flowers or decorate cakes."

However, I still have put my years at university to good use. The work I do at the moment is related to what I majored in.

So you never know, I guess.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Do you know any engineers? Find out what their work is really like. If it's really what you enjoy, then definitely go for your degree. The amount of debt you will incur is miniscule compared to the income that you will have over the long term. I learned to live well on almost nothing when I was in university. I was debt free after 2 years and never had money worries again.

The problem with trades isn't the pay. It's that they are physically demanding, repetitive and can involve working in uncomfortable environments. That's not necessarily bad if you have the personality for it. But I spent over a year doing that sort of stuff. I can tell you that it was like going to heaven when I got my first tech job in a comfortable office.

You're still a zygote at 21.:) There were men and women in their 30's when I was in uni.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you know any engineers? Find out what their work is really like. If it's really what you enjoy, then definitely go for your degree. The amount of debt you will incur is miniscule compared to the income that you will have over the long term. I learned to live well on almost nothing when I was in university. I was debt free after 2 years and never had money worries again.

The problem with trades isn't the pay. It's that they are physically demanding, repetitive and can involve working in uncomfortable environments. That's not necessarily bad if you have the personality for it. But I spent over a year doing that sort of stuff. I can tell you that it was like going to heaven when I got my first tech job in a comfortable office.

You're still a zygote at 21.:) There were men and women in their 30's when I was in uni.

Technically, engineers design much like how architects design buildings (If a bit something more feasible I suppose.) Engineers often work in a group with other engineers (in this case other electrical engineers, civil engineers, construction engineers... etc depending on what is worked on.)

Electronic/Electrical engineers design (in a very broad field) electrical inputs/outputs for something big like power grids to something small like computer systems (often overlapping with computer engineering.)

But it is sort of like Not_Me said, it depends on what you wanted to do. Engineers design the systems a lot more than they actually create and maintain those systems. They may create the first couple of systems, but after that, it is in the hands of the other people to maintain them.

It is sort of like a bridge. The civil engineers and architects design (often in groups) and create the blueprint of the bridge, the associates and the construction workers build from that blueprint. And when it is done, the bridge workers do maintenance on the bridge (like fixing lightning) so it is fine throughout its lifespan.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not_Me said:

that was my thought as well. i'm working a physically intensive job currently, though i have a uni degree. i cannot WAIT to get my ass in an office, instead of coming home insanely tired, sore, and bored.

but i suspect most electricians do cooler stuff than what i'm doing now.

i figure the question mainly lies in how hands-on you like to be. if very, then go for electrician. if you prefer the theoretical, go to university.

me personally, i loved college. i learned so, so much about the world and myself and how to interact with others. it really forced me to grow up in a lot of ways, more than just earning a degree. i don't think i could have gotten those experiences elsewhere, and i don't regret it for a second. *plus i built up a good resume while i was there, so i don't feel like i wasted my time.

Last edited:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i figure the question mainly lies in how hands-on you like to be. if very, then go for electrician. if you prefer the theoretical, go to university.

This is a good point.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In general, electricians will be walking around all day working with tools and stuff, probably talking to a bunch of clients, while an engineer will be mostly sitting at a computer in between meetings with people. So the actual jobs will be totally different, despite the common interest in electrical things. Which one appeals to you more? Do you think you'll be bored of it in 5 or 10 years? Hard to say, but you probably have an idea.

Anecdote: my dad is an electrical engineer with a college degree. He frequently says he wishes he got a university degree since so many doors were closed to him, even though his peers at work were usually university grads. YMMV, obviously, other people would regret the opposite, I'm sure.

edit: probably if you ask around, you can find an electrician to shadow for a day or two. Engineer might be harder, but if you could do both that'd be perfect.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why not just try your hand at the apprenticeship? If it doesn't work out, you can always do uni whenever. There's no age limit, so if the more expensive/involved option can be delayed and potentially rendered unnecessary, by all means.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is no secret among my friends that I would KILL to be an engineer (I'm thinking electrical, but mechanical is also calling my name).

But recently (amidst a hike in my living expenses as well as my medication expenses) university is looking more and more like a dream right about now. I'm also 21, which is practically ancient in university years (I know, I'm exaggerating, but I'm seriously not getting any younger).

I was wondering if it wouldn't perhaps be better if I went in for, say, an electrician apprenticeship to become an electrician. It would be MUCH less expensive than uni and I know that skilled labourers tend to do pretty well for themselves financially. I can maybe do more inventive, tinkery things as a personal hobby.
I just feel that I really don't want to go through all that time and get into all that debt if I could have an equally fulfilling life doing something else. However, I also feel like engineering would be a great fit for me and I certainly have a passion and knack for it.

Anyway, advice/discussion/reprimand...it would all be appreciated here. :)

bold: in most cases I would say "it's not worth it, college is becoming less and less relevant" but in the case of an engineer, you can easily pay that back in a few years. go for it, even if you have to take out some seemingly obscene loans. also, I think 21 is a better age to start college. frankly, most of the 18 and 19 year old college students I know are complete imbeciles and don't have the discipline and/or attention span that a 21 year old would.

underlined: the question is if it's really equally fullfilling. if yes, that option is good too.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Lol .. I'm 32 and went to a univeristy open day last weekend to enquire about getting a degree and i was speaking to a woman who was 40 and also looking into it. You are never too old.

An apprenticeship is a good idea to get a feel for it and its good for practical hands-on experience. However if you are academically inclined then i'd say go for the degree.

You are still young enough so have plenty of options available. Ultimately only you can make the decision though.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lol .. I'm 32 and went to a univeristy open day last weekend to enquire about getting a degree and i was speaking to a woman who was 40 and also looking into it. You are never too old.

The oldest person I've met so far in college was in her 70's :D

But she did it more for the fun than anything else.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The oldest person I've met so far in college was in her 70's :D

But she did it more for the fun than anything else.

I have the upmost respect for anyone at any age who is willing to go into an educational setting to seek/develop new skills.

Kudo's to her :D