User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Glycerine

What about one of the service academies? They are definitely on par with the Ivies and if you get in, it's free (besides a five year commitment in the military) and you get monthly stipends.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...rsities/page+5

I won't bother to post other rankings. I look at the rankings every year and they're all pretty similar to each other. Princeton Review has the best rankings - you can see rankings by "professor quality", "classroom experience", "party college", "best library", etc, etc, ad finitum.

But, using this particular list as an example, we have the following state schools in the top 50 of the rankings:

Penn (Ivy)
    UC (several: Berkeley, LA, San Diego, Davis, Santa Barbara, and Irvine)
    Virginia
    Michigan
    North Carolina
    Washington
    Texas
    Wisconsin
    Illinois

All very, very solid state institutions, always considered to be in the top 50 institutions in the nation.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Great program at a school you like for nearly free vs. marginally better program at Ivy League costs, with probably marginal subsidies? Why are you even thinking about it?

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    There are some fields where UT would be just fine (for example, anything in the petroleum industry, or within the state of Texas). In other, if not most, fields, the Ivy League degree will absolutely provide a substantial advantage compared to alternatives. It's terribly unfair, but there are doors available to you as a Columbia grad that simply aren't there for a graduate of a state U, particularly in this day and age.

There's something important to note here - you don't go to college to get an education. An education might be a nice byproduct, but the reason you (assuming you're middle class) go to a university in the United States is to secure a signifier of elevated social class, or, when we're euphemizing it, that a person "has what it takes" to make it in a certain field.

Just something to keep in mind.
    Guess what - there are also doors that are open to someone who is not in debt, which are firmly shut to someone with tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt. For example, buying a house, or (responsibly) having children at a somewhat early age, or having the freedom to switch careers/jobs, or not having the stress over your head of always having to pay a large chunk of your salary (whether or not you have a salary) towards student loans every month, which are not discharged even in bankruptcy. Just something to keep in mind.

Also your last paragraph is complete lunacy.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    What about one of the service academies? They are definitely on par with the Ivies and if you get in, it's free (besides a five year commitment in the military) and you get monthly stipends.
    No. Absolute not. I'm going to come off as close-minded and possibly stupid, but I absolutely refuse. My father was in the military, my uncle and grandfather were in the military, I lived on military bases for a fair part of my life, and I have had more than enough of a taste of that environment. I know enough to say that the military, regardless of what sector of it, is not where I want to be.

My areas of interest is not the hard sciences either, so I'm taking the Ivy Leagues seriously for that reason. If I was interested in the hard sciences, I would go to UT and laugh all the way to the bank. However, I have an interest in law and the humanities....so, I thought an Ivy might provide that edge.

Does anyone have any info on the UCs? Particularly Berkeley and LA? I'm also interested in those.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the UCs? Particularly Berkeley and LA? I'm also interested in those.
    They are both top notch institutions. I think once you've lived there for a year, you would then be considered a resident and would pay considerably less tuition. I have a very conservative ISTJ friend who went to Berkeley on a scholarship - and after 1 year he absolutely hated it because, as he said, "They protest EVERYTHING. If you pick your nose, there will be protestors. If you stare at a tree wrong, there will be protestors. Screw you guys. I just want to go to school in peace!" Haha. So, he moved down to UCLA (happily forfeiting his scholarship) and said he was WAY happier at UCLA. Triple majored at UCLA and (I think?) got a 4.0 through all of it. Communications, History, and Poli Sci. Now he's a CPA.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    But, using this particular list as an example, we have the following state schools in the top 50 of the rankings:

Penn (Ivy)
    Contrary to what it may seem at first, the University of Pennsylvania is a private institution.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Great program at a school you like for nearly free vs. marginally better program at Ivy League costs, with probably marginal subsidies? Why are you even thinking about it?
    Possibly because it's a big decision, and one that will affect the trajectory of the rest of one's life?

Guess what - there are also doors that are open to someone who is not in debt, which are firmly shut to someone with tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt. For example, buying a house, or (responsibly) having children at a somewhat early age, or having the freedom to switch careers/jobs, or not having the stress over your head of always having to pay a large chunk of your salary (whether or not you have a salary) towards student loans every month, which are not discharged even in bankruptcy. Just something to keep in mind.
    No one's saying that this isn't the case. However, I will say this - I took that route, going with an essentially paid-for state school over a higher prestige, more expensive school. I can't say that I regret the decision, but at 18 years old, I had no clue what the trade-offs involved, nor did I understand how the college prestige game worked. All I had was people telling me that going to college was the important part, and that it was essentially the same anywhere. Flash forward a few years later, and I begin to realized that in many respects, that's a complete load of horse manure.

Also your last paragraph is complete lunacy.
    Sure. You tell yourself that.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    No. Absolute not. I'm going to come off as close-minded and possibly stupid, but I absolutely refuse. My father was in the military, my uncle and grandfather were in the military, I lived on military bases for a fair part of my life, and I have had more than enough of a taste of that environment. I know enough to say that the military, regardless of what sector of it, is not where I want to be.

My areas of interest is not the hard sciences either, so I'm taking the Ivy Leagues seriously for that reason. If I was interested in the hard sciences, I would go to UT and laugh all the way to the bank. However, I have an interest in law and the humanities....so, I thought an Ivy might provide that edge.

Understood. That's not close minded at all. . I would say if you can find a reasonable way to pay for the Ivy, go for it but if not, a highly ranked state school is probably the way to go. Good luck.

Contrary to what it may seem at first, the University of Pennsylvania is a private institution.

Possibly because it's a big decision, and one that will affect the trajectory of the rest of one's life?

No one's saying that this isn't the case. However, I will say this - I took that route, going with an essentially paid-for state school over a higher prestige, more expensive school. I can't say that I regret the decision, but at 18 years old, I had no clue what the trade-offs involved, nor did I understand how the college prestige game worked. All I had was people telling me that going to college was the important part, and that it was essentially the same anywhere. Flash forward a few years later, and I begin to realized that in many respects, that's a complete load of horse manure.

Sure. You tell yourself that.
    Depends. Computer Science and Engineering at San Jose State? You are sure as hell going to have Silicon Valley right beside you even with other more "prestigious" institutions like Stanford being close by and Cal Poly being nearby Los Angeles.

Generally speaking, the employer may look at what college you have gone to for the first few years, after that, it depends more on what you have done over in your line of work over what college you have been through. You can still be in a prestigious college and still be unemployed. You CAN also make networks with your professors. I've seen professors who have been to prestigious colleges and ones that weren't so well known. I've also known professors who have work in places like Intel and Apple and have seen their previous students actually working for their respective companies. Heck, I don't even have to go to the bay area for college because there are a couple of software companies here as well as some government ones.

Network
    Internships
    Make it happen.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Is it? Wow. Interesting. Learn something new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    Make it happen.
    This. Harvard Shmarvard. Wherever you go to school, just kick butt once you graduate and your career will go well. And that goes for any industry, and entrepreneurial as well.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Therefore, if you're going into the hard sciences, the decision is a simple one - you go to the university where they have the most intensive program that focuses on the sorts of questions that makes you the most excited. So, if you're into meteorology, you go to a school like Penn State, or the University of Oklahoma (my alma mater). If you're into experimental physics, do what you can to get to Berkeley. If you're into computing or theoretical physics, both Caltech and MIT are impressive options.
    On the other hand, if you are interested in science, you will probably go to grad school, where science is about all you will study. Any breadth of education - exposure to humanities, arts, even other fields of science - will have to be done as an undergrad. This is what I did, and those seemingly unrelated courses, and activities done just for the enjoyment/experience of it have served me in good stead.

As far as I understand it, it's the complete opposite: the prestige bonus is almost entirely conferred upon undergraduates, and much attenuated for grad students. Even for those on a professorial track, the Ivy League bonus comes less from the prestige of the institution itself, than from the types of projects and research you are exposed to, not to mention the available financial resources. After a certain level, though, you start running into prestige barriers, especially when it comes to things like funding one's own projects. That's not nearly as much of a problem for the undergrads, provided that they developed a robust social network.
    I agree for the most part. In grad school, it is your research advisor and your thesis/dissertation topic that is important. Run-of-the-mill state schools even can have some faculty who are real authorities in their field, and if you work with them and publish, your (grad) credentials are as good as anyone else's. Having an Ivy Leage undergrad background on top of this (not instead) is icing on the cake. It is about the experiences available to you, the things you were exposed to, and rightly or wrongly suggests that you are a higher caliber of student to begin with.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...