User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Supply and demand. The more scarce a necessary commodity, the greater the demand, the higher the price.
    This. This is all that really matters

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Supply and demand. The more scarce a necessary commodity, the greater the demand, the higher the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    This. This is all that really matters
    Isn't that missing the power of image/reputation and so on in compensation? If it was strictly supply and demand then two people providing identical services would receive the same pay. That isn't always the case.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Isn't that missing the power of image/reputation and so on in compensation? If it was strictly supply and demand then two people providing identical services would receive the same pay. That isn't always the case.
    But they aren't identical. One might be older, more experienced, a safer investment, and therefore worth paying more. One could be unreliable. One could have extra skills, yet provide an identical service. All of these other factors are significant, and employers (or whoever writes the check) know this. The difficulty of the labor is irrelevant, because if the job is too hard, you simply won't do it and are disqualified from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    But they aren't identical. One might be older, more experienced, a safer investment, and therefore worth paying more. One could be unreliable. One could have extra skills, yet provide an identical service. All of these other factors are significant, and employers (or whoever writes the check) know this. The difficulty of the labor is irrelevant, because if the job is too hard, you simply won't do it and are disqualified from the start.
    Yeah, I get what you are saying. I was thinking about it some more and saw that soft skills and whatever differentiate and add to demand.

MBTI
    XXFP

What if it's a difficult job, but you are really good at it, so it's comparatively easy for you than for other people. Does that make it a hard job or an easy job? Does that make you deserving of higher pay or lower pay?

Does it matter?

The pay you can get for a job is what people are willing to pay for it. Supply and demand is a driver here, but I wouldn't assume that all pricing decisions are rational (or precise) ones - that's just the theory.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Supply and demand, and who’s more desperate at any given time. I’v seen managers who have made less then the workers they manage due the trades being employed refusing to take lower wager and other workers willing to work below min. wages by putting in extra hours off the books because they were desperate for a pay check.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Sorry but supply and demand doesn't really work that well in the job market. First of all, there are thousands of ceilings (min wage, cap salary, etc.). Secondly, search costs are terribly high thus both employees and employers have a tendency towards a suboptimal equilibrium. What Bamboo said is correct, IMHO: it's just about how much someone is willing to pay you at any given time, the drivers of this pricing process are hard to know, especially if we want to construct a universal frame of reference.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    STP

Pay has very little to do with the job. That's like saying I should pay $50,000 for a Hyundai someone put together from scratch because "it took so much work to put all the pieces together". Someone with the exact same position at two different companies will be paid very differently because their production value is higher in one, their sales are higher, and the budget trickles down in a larger ratio to each employee.

Pay is determined by how the budget trickles down, not up. Budget is allocated based on production value. Now, this is not a hard and fast rule and it's unwise to think of the economy that way because people commonly do what feels best to them regardless of how wise it is.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Not a grain of truth to this.

I'm working toward a clerk typist 2 position. I don't have it yet, but I have a similar job and work with lots of people who are. If I get the job, I'd make more money than my father ever made. This job, however, is substantially easier to do than what he did for the prior 20 years to him being laid off (wood worker).

Me and my father are but one example, but other examples are all around. The reality has historically almost been the opposite of that claim. The poorer you are the, harder you work.

At any rate, an economy couldn't really operate on giving people money based on how hard they work because that would totally disregard supply and demand.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Not a grain of truth to this.

I'm working toward a clerk typist 2 position. I don't have it yet, but I have a similar job and work with lots of people who are. If I get the job, I'd make more money than my father ever made. This job, however, is substantially easier to do than what he did for the prior 20 years to him being laid off (wood worker).

Me and my father are but one example, but other examples are all around. The reality has historically almost been the opposite of that claim. The poorer you are the, harder you work.

At any rate, an economy couldn't really operate on giving people money based on how hard they work because that would totally disregard supply and demand.
    But which is harder?

Some would cry at the notion of having to sit and type in one spot for most of the day. Probably the biggest difference between the two is that you can work as a typist until you are a very old age while a construction worker may be done around his 40/50's because of medical problems.

Woodworkers are rare, but there probably isn't much need of them as opposed to a typist (after all... we are living in this day and age where most Americans have computers of some sort.)

In this part of Northern California, it is very possible to be a millionaire and a farmer. One of the riches peach grower in the world even lives here. But when we think of farmers, we don't think of them as particularly rich (unless people think of Napa Valley.)