User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Science

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    scientist = 4-5 years undergrad, then 4-7 years phd, depending how slow you are (and whether you need a masters first). If you do that, very very early in the undergrad part of it, try to work for at least a summer in a lab and see what it's like. The daily job is nothing like the undergrad (like any job, I guess). And it's a lot of school if you're not certain that you actually want the career.

What kind of science do you spend your free time learning about? That'll give you a clue as to undergrad direction. What is your favourite science class in high school (you will need to take all three in many cases)

edit: while you will need varying amounts of math at the end job (anywhere from almost none to lots of addition/basic algebra to complex equations, depending on the field/specific job), you definitely need to pass several classes of it in undergrad, preferably with a decent mark. Math is just practicing for the most part, though.
    The highlighted is not universally true. There are many scientific and technical occupations that do not require a PhD, some not even a Master's. You may need graduate degree(s) to be a project leader, and certainly a professor, but if you just want to do the work, even a BS suffices in some settings, especially if you can get some research experience through internships or co-op programs. You can always go back to school later.

Randomnity's questions about identifying a direction are good. I would recommend also that you ask yourself why you want to be a scientist -- what aspects of scientific work interest or intrigue you. Is it hands-on experimentation, predicting outcomes through models, understanding fundamental properties of the universe, designing things and making them work? Another way of putting it: just what do you envision yourself doing all day as a scientist? Answers to these will also help you determine not only what kinds of courses to take, but what kinds of research experiences to look for.

Do not be put off by math. First, you probably are more capable here than you think. Second, there are many fields and subfields of science, and they vary in how math-intensive they are. Third, contrary to (some) stereotypes, few scientists operate as the Lone Ranger. Most work in teams where something that is not your strong suit will be a strength of someone else, while you have some strength that they lack.

If you are interested in science, do not let anything, especially not your MBTI type, deter you. Yes, depending on your field you may run into more INTJs than you otherwise would. Just keep being yourself, doing a good job, and the variety will actually be quite welcome.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

yeah, I guess my definition of scientist is a little different, but yeah there are jobs in scientific fields that don't need grad school - research technicians and so on. They're just more detail-oriented as opposed to research-oriented. You'll still need a BSc for those, though.
    -end of thread-

Senior Member Array Sanctus Iacobus's Avatar

Scientist isn't really a profession, it's an occupation. That is, it's a means to an end and that end will be the mark of your professional nature far more than the profession of science. Often times, people in your position are considering what attracts them to a profession, so you need to consider whether you will actually enjoy the occupation of scientist. This is especially important if you're the type of person who enjoys certain details about their job like the people you're currently working with. This will be difficult, though, because as others have stated the occupational nature of scientists vary widely. I'd say your success in this endeavor will depend on your interest in the field rather than your interest in the profession. What fields are you interested in? (ex. fuel technologies, medicine, materials?)

Quote Originally Posted by Meek View Post
    After many years of trying to figure out what I would absolutely adore doing, I decided I would enjoy being a scientist and enjoy is an understatement.

I like being the brain behind things, or at least one of the brains.
    Painting to sell art won't work for me. I will never be good enough, I know it.

I am not settling for science, though but something about it has always excited me.

Math is an awful subject for me and boring so I assume science requires a lot of math? The details are fuzzy with this.

See, my 'dream' job is an astronomer but that shit requires way too much math and I am very forgetful with maths.

Fear holds me back, though but right now, I am a house keeper and I enjoy it due to the lovely staff I work with who are always so very kind to me and appreciate me. Otherwise, the job would start looking very bleak and useless.

Has anyone ever heard of an Infp scientist? :P
    I do not think you are making this decision based on the right premise... "science" is an incredibly wide subject area... saying you want to study "science" is almost laughable to me...

find things that interest you and see how you can study and learn more about them rather than say "hey i want to be the brain behind things... that must mean i want to study science"! it sounds absolutely ridiculous, unless you are in primary school.

also... i knew an astro-physics grad student very well and he was often rusty on math. Math is a tool and if astronomy is something you want to pursue than you might be able to grit through the coursework and keep your textbooks in order to look up information when you need it. also in any field of applied science in which you need to use math you are likely to not need a huge arsenal of equations memorized. if you are interested in hydrology, for instance, you would have most of the Darcy's Law equations memorized because you use them so often --- not because you have a great memory.