User Tag List

123 Last

Default Career help - I am a complete mess.

I really need help in choosing career, since it is last call for it. I have 1 month to decide what will I go/continue school for, and I am lost quite a lot.

So first of all, here is a bit about my academic past; I went to specialized HS for mathematics, informatics etc.. mathematical-informatical gymnasium.
    I was very good at it but find it repetitive and boring, so after HS I went to med school (in Europe we choose "major" right away). It was (probably?) a mistake from beginning since I refused to study 5 hours a day. Also, I had no intellectual interest in it (which continues to be my problem with many things). But I didnt figure all this out on time, so I continued with it.
    To make story short: I have 3,5 more years. I dropped out 2 times already, last time with no intention to go back.
    As my close friends say; there is no way you are for it because you dont ever ever talk about medicine.
    Plus side: "only" 3,5 more years to go (and in my case i am turning 24 so it's time to finish school soon)

Other options: Psychology. (4,5 years till masters degree), way way easier than medicine. That's important because there's no way I could study 5 hours a day. (except things like math that you practice more than study).
    Thing is, I figured it is for me last autumn, when I figured that things I've been interested in for long time are actually Psychology field...)
    but now again, I am a bit bored with it... it always comes like this, I enroll in something and after a year or half a year I want something else.
    Psychology has not enough math/natural science in it, and when I choose math/science they dont have enough social science.
    Psychology was attractive to me because there are many fields in it, so many options. Lately I like idea of science part of it, but that's only for couple of months, before it was repulsive. I used to be attracted to helpin people, but currently that idea is just boring to me, I dont feel a drive to help people as on top of my priority list.

So, lately, I've come to idea, since I need to find a way to earn money in more decent or better paid way than flipping burgers - to learn web design.
    Now, my preknowledge about computers sucks, completely. But I am very motivated to learn it, suddenly (after never ever having an interest in computers!) I started to be interested in them. So, I have a friend who is in web design and he started to teach me... which opens question, since I'm naturally good at math .. maybe I should go to study that ?!
    Maybe that's just way for me to avoid commitment to psychology, because there is only 1 month left for me to enroll.

just to stress: we cant have "double" major, we take courses only from one major, nothing else. even 2 years of medicine (mostly pre-med courses) i took are useless and i need to go from start.
    so i dont have more time to decide..

anyway.. i dont know what i really enjoy out of all that. currenlty i enjoy studying about computers, but knowing myself, i could get bored in few months and never ever want to learn about them.
    i like when things are new and exciting, and would probably prefer to be my own boss.

there's no direct question in this post, i would prefer if someone asks me questions...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Computational biology? (but that's not offered by many universities)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

I dont know what's that, but I have NO interest whatsoever in biology or chemistry.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I know you don't want to study a lot, but what about combining medicine,science, and psychology? Neuroscience or psychiatry? (If you have an interest, it may be easier to study for long hours.) Less likely to get boring, like psychology.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I know you don't want to study a lot, but what about combining medicine,science, and psychology? Neuroscience or psychiatry? (If you have an interest, it may be easier to study for long hours.)
    I must admit I am so repulsed by whole medicine and working in hospitals etc., that I cant even consider it objectively without having a gag reflexs. And maybe you're right... but something in me+medicine is very wrong.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Chloé View Post
    I must admit I am so repulsed by whole medicine and working in hospitals etc., that I cant even consider it objectively without having a gag reflexs. And maybe you're right... but something in me+medicine is very wrong.
    Well, what environment are you thinking about? An office setting? An educational setting? A lab setting? An outdoor setting?

(I suppose you could choose a psych/science field and work in an educational setting or research)

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I would think that going the computer route may be good too. Technology is constantly changing so I doubt boredom would set in. Plus I'm sure that mathematics/analytics plays a big role in some of the development. Just a thought (as in....I knid of wish I studied computer technology instead of business/accounting! lol). Good luck whatever you decide!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    I would think that going the computer route may be good too. Technology is constantly changing so I doubt boredom would set in. Plus I'm sure that mathematics/analytics plays a big role in some of the development. Just a thought (as in....I knid of wish I studied computer technology instead of business/accounting! lol). Good luck whatever you decide!
    Hahahahaaha. I guess we're all going to be pushing for her to do what we like.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    Hahahahaaha. I guess we're all going to be pushing for her to do what we like.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Well, what environment are you thinking about? An office setting? An educational setting? A lab setting? An outdoor setting?

(I suppose you could choose a psych/science field and work in an educational setting or research)
    whole medical field (university, hospitals etc.) is repulsive for me. too many rules, not enough space for your own way... it's not for me. i guess.
    oh, no, i am sure it's not for me.. i dropped out 2x, that's a lot, and i dont know why i am still considering it. probably because if i dont go back in 1 month i lose rights to study it ever again (in my country), so this is *definite* YES/NO...