• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Career help - I am a complete mess.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i personally think whatever route you go it should be something you have a sustained passion for and has many different directions for you to take.

Chloe

I dont have sustained passion for anything ( if sustained means lasting). i guess that is my main problem.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
If you want to be self-employed you either need an idea to market or some peculiar skill to sell, then some connections. With the right personality, it's not THAT hard, especially the second option (the first is subordinated to the whims of inspiration)...

Chloe

i know that, i dont think it is difficult at all.. but for now my main problem is what will i go to school for.. i need to have some degree.....

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had a nice long discussion with one of my lecturers last week, and he told me that once you have a degree in almost any field, you could end up anywhere because from that point on, the only thing that counts is your ambition from there on. Once you finish your degree, you start somewhere small and boring, and work your way to where you wish to be from there. Jobs in my country at least are very dynamic because of their contractual nature, I'm guessing yours are similar. So, even if you don't like the degree you've put yourself into, it might be best for you to finish it, and perhaps dip your toe into the workplace, then maneuver to where you fancy from there :).

Think about how much you're wasting by not completing your degree? How much of what you've already done could be salvaged? It's no good if you have to start all over again from absolutely nothing.

Chloe

KoD, I have more studying until the end of medicine than if I restart most things, because 1 year od medicine is more than what many people I know have been studying in 3 years in most other fields... so its completely unrealistic in my case since i dont have interest in it and i am not disciplined person at all and never will be disciplined that much. I tried already 2x, last time was my biggest life failure that I went back. and i went exactly for reasons you mentioned "b i already invested this much in it"
also it is very unlikely that i would be able to have career in example psychology - science work with degree in medicine.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
KoD, I have more studying until the end of medicine than if I restart most things, because 1 year od medicine is more than what many people I know have been studying in 3 years in most other fields... so its completely unrealistic in my case since i dont have interest in it and i am not disciplined person at all and never will be disciplined that much. I tried already 2x, last time was my biggest life failure that I went back. and i went exactly for reasons you mentioned "b i already invested this much in it"
also it is very unlikely that i would be able to have career in example psychology - science work with degree in medicine.

Oh right, I assumed you'd picked a shorter medicine degree :doh:, well, maybe you would be best off cutting your losses, a degree that takes so much longer than a normal degree doesn't seem worth it at all, unless you're hell bent on the profession. I think psychology might be a little too whimsical though, is there anything that you could do that still retains some of what you've learned from doing medicine? I know you mentioned that you've done chemistry and not liked it much, but it might be quite worth salvaging that chemistry, right? You don't want to idealize too much when you're considering a career, I know I've made that mistake before.

Chloe

no there is nothing that "transfers"; whatever i start it is 3yrs BSc + 1,5-2yrs MS degree. Medicine is integrated study where i come from - 6 yrs o MS and M.D., if you drop out after 4,5 etc you have nothing.

i absolutely hate chemistry and have ZERO interest in it so i think i will pass anything that has to do with it... or physiology, anatomy, biology , immunology etc :D i am a bit glad i know these things but i wish i never did

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
no there is nothing that "transfers"; whatever i start it is 3yrs BSc + 1,5-2yrs MS degree. Medicine is integrated study where i come from - 6 yrs o MS and M.D., if you drop out after 4,5 etc you have nothing.

i absolutely hate chemistry and have ZERO interest in it so i think i will pass anything that has to do with it... or physiology, anatomy, biology , immunology etc :D i am a bit glad i know these things but i wish i never did

:\

well then there really isn't much you can do but start up nice and fresh. Will you be able to come back and finish off the Medicine if you change your mind halfway though? I hate the idea of getting nothing out of 4 years, I'm thinking you'll at least be able to use that on your resume, it could be quite a good selling point.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So what would be your dream job if you could do anything you wanted? What are you good at?

Chloe

yes but i am trying to decide what that "something else" will be :D

:\

well then there really isn't much you can do but start up nice and fresh. Will you be able to come back and finish off the Medicine if you change your mind halfway though? I hate the idea of getting nothing out of 4 years, I'm thinking you'll at least be able to use that on your resume, it could be quite a good selling point.

Chloe

So what would be your dream job if you could do anything you wanted? What are you good at?

lol, i just clicked reply to say "there are no minors in Europe and i cant get BS bc medicine is integrated Bs+Ms so you can only get Ms after 6yrs" but i see you deleted that part.

Dream job? Ummmmmm. I have no clue lol. Thats disturbing.
I am good at stuff like math and everything related to it :/ but i am good at many things tbh, most things i tried i was good at ... problem is to pick one thing

rav3n

There's limited demand for psyche majors since so many people take it. And while you dislike chem, have you considered a BSc in Pharm, since the baby boomers are all coming of age, as it relates to medicine and medical care.

Chloe

something else >>>>>>> medicine >>>>> pharmacology = chemistry = stomatology .. etc.
enough said :D

i am not worried about "succeeding" with psychology if i pick it, maybe the situation is a bit different here because we are small country and there is not much concurention. I am worried that i will lose interest.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
something else >>>>>>> medicine >>>>> pharmacology = chemistry = stomatology .. etc.
enough said :D

i am not worried about "succeeding" with psychology if i pick it, maybe the situation is a bit different here because we are small country and there is not much concurention. I am worried that i will lose interest.

I guess it's whatever you're interested in right now that matters. You could lose interest in anything.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
from august 2010 until may 2011 my top interest was psychology. now my top interes are computers.

It's too bad you can't double major. Any chance of changing careers later on if you have to?

Chloe

well i dont know... i really prefer this to be my last choice at least when it comes to academic education. after that i can work whatever i know to work..

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well i dont know... i really prefer this to be my last choice at least when it comes to academic education. after that i can work whatever i know to work..

Of course, it will be difficult to know what will keep your interest in the long run, though, until you start studying.