User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default getting a job as a dishwasher

I want to go to culinary school, to become either a caterer or a personal chef. but I have to pay for it myself I figure get a job in a resteraunt the problem is I don't know Spanish which is useful in California do you think it's still possible to get a job as a dishwasher and work my way up? I do not want to get my BA it makes me suicidal thinking about going back to school, which if i did finish my BA my mom would pay for culinary school. My mom being so controlling I want to do this route so I can finally cut the ties from her and live my life how I choose.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INtP

I suspect that it's possible to start out as a dishwasher and work your way up... but there's a limit. It's been quite a few years since I've worked in restaurants, but in my experience, you're likely to hit a ceiling on the "work your way up" path. Especially if you're looking to do something that ordinarily comes from a culinary-school track. It's far more likely that you'd work your way up (assuming that would work out) to restaurant management rather than a more creative (which is I'm guessing what you're interested in?) role.

Also -- this may not be a big deal, but you'd struggle financially on the way up. Dishwashers, particularly, are at the bottom of a low-paying industry, in general. Frankly, if you see any way you could put up with it, (I know you don't want to hear it, and hence I hate saying it, but...) finish that BA and accept your Mom's help, if she's really prepared to help you with what *you* want. You've already put in a lot of time for the BA, and once it's done, it's done -- and yours forever.

But, if you're really not into that option, I think you'd be better off avoiding a national chain-type restaurant. You don't want to enter the system as a cog.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    yupp

I don't want to work in a resteraunt for the rest of my life, I just was thinking if I'm going to have to support myself through school all I can get is minimum wage so it means loans and hard work. and i figure resteraunt work makes the most since, I don't plan becoming head chef or anything. But I still don't think it hurt to work in a resteraunt even if I ultimately fold and get my BA which is my mom's choice not mine.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I actually would like to work in a restaurant for the rest of my life if I A) had to work and B) couldn't write for a living. Except I wouldn't want to wash dishes or wait tables or be a manager. I'd love to be certified as a pastry chef, and making fancy wedding cakes (well, and cakes for other occasions) would be ideal.

MBTI
    yupp

yesterday I applied for a volunteer position at berkeley food and housing project. the posistion includes prepping the food, serving it, and cleaning up after. I'm waiting to hear back from them I'll be able to do it probably tues-thurs. But it be nice to get a paying job on top of this.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

You might not have to settle for minimum wage while working your way through school. For part of my school time, I was able to earn almost twice that doing office work through temp agencies.

On the other hand, a BA in a field like management or marketing might actually help if you eventually want to do catering.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

I think if you work your way up in restaurants and THEN go to culinary school, you might be ahead of the game by actually knowing how restaurants work. I'm sure a lot of that knowledge would be applicable to catering operations as well. Instead of applying to be a dishwasher though, why don't you call every catering company in your city and see what they have to offer? Be perfectly blunt with them. Say that you have interest in a culinary career with a specific interest in catering. They're more apt to hire someone with a long term interest in the field than someone just looking for a $10/hr job. Good luck!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think if you work your way up in restaurants and THEN go to culinary school, you might be ahead of the game by actually knowing how restaurants work. I'm sure a lot of that knowledge would be applicable to catering operations as well. Instead of applying to be a dishwasher though, why don't you call every catering company in your city and see what they have to offer? Be perfectly blunt with them. Say that you have interest in a culinary career with a specific interest in catering. They're more apt to hire someone with a long term interest in the field than someone just looking for a $10/hr job. Good luck!
    I'm actually planning on talking to my sister-in-law's friend who has worked catering, in resteraunts, and bakeries and see if she can give me pointers on the best route to take.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    STP

I've heard of plenty of people who start at a position like dishwasher and work into various high paying roles. It's just a matter of how hard you're willing to work. Hard-working dishwasher who can learn is more suitable for a cook position than someone with a culinary education that won't do a good job no matter what they know.

MBTI
    yupp

I can already cook most things I started learning when I was 3 so I can defiently learn. I'm pretty natural at figuring out how much spice something needs and what spice to make a dish amazing
    In no likes experiment.

that is all