User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but you don't have to work as a dishwasher first to become a caterer.
    You can just become a caterer now if you want.
    You have a kitchen in your home already to cook in (or your clients home if you are hired) and the internet and a mouth to advertise.

You can start by selling boxed lunches or boxed dinners to people, if you like.
    Think about the kinds of people who would need a caterer and try to market to them with your boxed meals.

anyways, just an idea....

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

If you are happy working minimum wage then why not. Work is work and if it's in a field you want to progress in then it's a good start esp if it's just to pay your way through college/uni. I'd say you could probably go straight into a role as commis chef though in a small place rather than start as a dishwasher.
    I also agree with Giggly about starting your own business but i imagine that would be really quite time consuming if you are also going to college/uni, but who knows could be a real benefit.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I actually would like to work in a restaurant for the rest of my life if I A) had to work and B) couldn't write for a living. Except I wouldn't want to wash dishes or wait tables or be a manager. I'd love to be certified as a pastry chef, and making fancy wedding cakes (well, and cakes for other occasions) would be ideal.
    START YOUR OWN THREAD

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

If my food was of pro-quality, I would start catering then, or open my own restaurant. Do some reading on the ins-and-outs.
    If you feel like you need restaurant experience to understand more and get your feet wet, go that route.
    I don't see why you need a culinary degree to meet your objective, unless you want one for some other reason.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    GONE

Culinary school is not necessary and if you do go to culinary school you might as well go for the most prestigious one you can get into. FMW is right, if you have any restaurant experience before you go to culinary school you will have a huge leg up. The fact that you are young also helps, the restaurant/kitchen business is still openly ageist in a lot of kitchens. I think Anthony Bourdain...or some other famous was quoted as not hiring anyone over the age of 23 or something to work in the kitchen - because he wanted people who would learn quickly and had nothing to unlearn. Try it out and see if you like it before you go to culinary school. Because you make love cooking but you might hate working in a kitchen. I've been in at least one large kitchen at a restaurant and I thought I was in the bowels of hell.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

I think I'll try it. but now I want to work for a non-profit trying to get fairer food laws both to make healthy food more widely available and to get rid of factory farming. why do i change my mind every 2 minutes about the future? also I'm 24 but look 17 people in the hospital kept telling me to quit lying about my age. Really, if I was going to lie I'd say 21, the workers even doubled checked my chart to make sure I was in the right place, looking young has both its advantages and disadvantages.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I would finish the BA first. My girlfriend started the education to become a nurse. She hated it after half a year. The thing lasted 3 years and she had to do 4 because she was ill so often one year that she got one extra. She's proud of herself that she went thru with it, tho she otherwise never wents thru with thinmgs and throws em away halfway.

I'ld finish the BA and then go to culinary school.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    START YOUR OWN THREAD
    don't you know? ENFPs offer their thread-derailing services for $20 baseline cost + $5/post.

alas, i am not being paid to type this one, so to the OP, i would say i suspect there are better ways of going about getting into the field than dishwashing - though that's a fine min wage job, if that's what you need right now.

I'ld finish the BA and then go to culinary school.
    and just avoid your mom as much as possible.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I worked as a dishwasher at a hotel during college and my advice is to be sure to ask whether the position includes prep work, if that really interests you. At this hotel, dishwashers reported to the Chief Steward and never did anything but wash dishes. Pot washers, however, reported to the Chef and would help with prep work whenever there were no pots to wash. They also worked more closely with the cooks and pastry chefs and could better observe operation of the kitchen. This is how it worked at a large kitchen that served many restaurants.