• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mentor Minute…If You Had Just 5 Minutes What Would You Tell Me?

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Someone recently asked me, “What would you tell me if you had just five minutes to mentor me?”

• Mentors don’t just have to be people. Sometimes you can learn that from an inspiring book
• Surround yourself with good influences…friends, colleagues, leaders outside HOK. Soon you’ll take on their traits and become a better professional.
• Even if you're feeling defeated, never show it to others and take it as a big deal. Sure no one likes losing but just try to keep the coolness in you.
• Never judge your colleages unless they're asking it genuinely from you.
• Don’t giggle as a nervous reaction when having a challenging conversation.
• Dress for the position you want, not the one you have.
• If you are being provoked in an unfavorable atmosphere. Walk out immediately. Cool it off and return back as nothing has bodered you.
• Never gossip about your fellow colleage. If you really had to vent, look for your own circle of friends, and a trusted one.
• Work/life balance is overrated. Just make sure you love what you do and it will skew the whole work vs. play thing.
• Be nice to people on your way up or you may see them on your way down.

Now, what say you if you had five minutes to mentor another?

Jaguar

JustDoIt.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
don't hire anyone who you don't want to work with on a one on one basis... if you just don't like them you won't give them the training and attention that they need :nono:

smile and make eye contact when greeting someone :cheese:

ask people about themselves... people love talking about themselves and it puts them at ease :yes:

a little less conversation, a little more action :rock:

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'd hope not to bore them with common knowledge that most people hear every day like, "Try your hardest!" or "Get good grades!". Sometimes I find it's best to relate to the person if you can with a story. I feel one mentor doesn't fit every person, but if I had my perfect pupil so to speak, I'd tell them to find your passion in life and once you find it make damn sure you're better than everyone else who calls it their passion as well. Also learn to laugh.

T

ThatGirl

Things I have told the youth.

Always tell the truth and make sure the truth is something you don't mind telling.

Make it happen. (I am currently teaching my son this, I don't care how you get there, no excuses, think of a way, and make it happen).

Things I would tell people in the future:

Either know yourself, or accept that you will find it along the way. Otherwise all you are is the person finding itself. Is that what you really intended to be?

Everyone lives the same 24 hours. The people you admire, fear, look up to, or want to be. We started the same, we end the same. The only difference is, what you do with your hours.

I am sure I have more TG-isms, but those are the main ones. My movie is back on.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't be afraid to live. Do what other people say is crazy or impossible. Of course, take reasonable precautions, but fucking go for it.

You only live once. You must chase your dreams. Don't give up. You don't have to settle for the status quo.

Love with all of your heart and soul, but don't cast your pearls before swine.

Choose your battles wisely.

Read The Tropic of Cancer, A Confederacy of Dunces and The Tao of Meow

Be honest, tell the truth, and don't be afraid to be yourself. Do what you do and be what you need to be AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HURT ANYONE.

Think very carefully before you have children, if you really want them or not. You don't have to have them. Children deserve parents who want to be parents, and the world is overpopulated anyway.

Interdependence is the most sensible way to live.

Be self-educated. Learn everything you can.

Look out for number one, don't let people take advantage of you, but also be as kind as you can.

AntiZang

MBTI Type
INFP
Even when no ones looking, its still illegal, but there is much less of a chance of getting caught.

dukkha

MBTI Type
INFP
5 minutes mentoring...well..being an INFP, I've thought, redrafted, thought again...redrafted in my quest for getting it right...which leads to the first thing...don't wait till conditions are perfect..jump in, have a go, and learn from your mistakes, then move to the next step (mistakes are only mistakes if you fail to learn from them). Nothing is ever wasted in your life...the learnings are rich as. The bad, hard and traumatic is needed...remember the old proverb, "good sailors aren't made on calm seas".

Listen to the voice inside. Sounds all spiritual and stuff, but lets face it we all have those moments when we know what is important for us (a momentary lapse of other peoples' reason), then the scripts and dialog of friends, family and society flood in and make the decision for us. So listen to this voice or calling...give it some space, cause if it's the real you it will keep resurfacing throughout your life till it is given the legitimate attention it deserves. Think of your life as a book...do you want to self author or be a list of short stories written by others in your life?

And of course don't wear full robot body armor like my avatar...it will only weigh you down on the path :D

P.S. gotta throw in a matrix quote...."everything that has a beginning must have an end"...remember though this includes all the good and bad.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Face your fears, other wise they will trap you.
2. If you want to be Artist/Actor/singer, Just do it. Especially if you know you are talented. Don't listen to anyone saying you wasting your potential, or how about doing some thing more secure. You will end up regreting it for the rest of your life.
3.No one is as dependable as your own self.
4. If you fall down, get back up, brush your self off, and get back on.
5. Read a book ever once a while.
6. Never stop asking questions

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If you're not happy with your career, perhaps you should start looking for an entirely different one.

And try not to think that you're wasting all the precious working experience from your previous career, but in stead, try to bridge them convincingly and flawlessly. (This is what I've been working on now)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Listen to your parents because they have your best interest at heart. But also realize that for them, your best interest is to be safe, not to make history.

Save your money. Early, and lots. Compounding is one of the most beautiful words in the language.

Strive for whatever you want, but remember that most people don't have the career they want, or even a career. But lots of them are happy anyway.

Remember that your character is the only thing you have that you set the value on. Keep it if you want to be happy.

Don't consider money too heavily when you take your first one or two "adult" jobs. If you're smart and you work hard, then being in the right place will pay off in the long run more than making the right money.

Spending time with people different from yourself and traveling will teach you more than school will. Consider them investments.

apotheosis29

MBTI Type
IxTJ
Enneagram
1w9

• Do well in school
    Get a college degree
    Spend wisely...Do not overextend yourself and do not live paycheck to paycheck
    Save you money...as someone said early "compound" is a beautiful word
    Do not marry too young or too fast
    Do not have kids until you're ready
If you follow these rules you will have the freedom to do almost anything else you want

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
1.) Do the hard thing. Take the hard course, accept the tough assignment. In the long run it pays.

2.) Choose your friends and associates wisely. Hang out with dirt bags and you'll be a dirt bag. Hang out with people that are motivated, smart and work hard - and odds are you'll emulate their behavior and values.

3.) Too much debt is a form of slavery. It reduces your options - you can't quit the law firm and go bake bread if you have a pile of consumer debt sitting on you.

4.) Laugh. Alot. It helps.