• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Technical Writing

gromit

likes this
Anybody do that?

If so, what is your background? Do you do it full time or as a consultant on a job-by-job basis?

Do you like it or dislike it?

Say anything else you want to say too.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anybody do that?

Uh huh. :newwink:

If so, what is your background?

I always enjoyed my English/Literature/Creative Writing classes.
After leaving the formal pursuit of being a biologist, I got a job with a software company.
I was reasonably proficient with computers, and while I was building my skill set found that a good writer on a technical team is an asset to the techies and the client alike.
If anything, doing work as such makes kind of an "interpreter" which I enjoy because it involves communicating ideas between people with disparate skill sets and experiences, yet with a common goal.
Granted I "talk" as much with my voice/hands/whiteboard markers as I actually "speak," the end result is a room full of people who wind up on the same page.
Once they all agree on the notes and the pictures on the board, I write it up and get it approved.
Once approved such information winds up becoming a requirement of some sort for the project.

Technical writers are ingrained in the software development industry as either scribes, business analysts, or project managers on J.A.D. (Joint Application Development) teams.
Your career path can take you upward in many directions.
If you want to be a good business analyst, I always recommend doing some sort of application development.
It teaches you to think abstractly, and to see systems in terms of the presentation layer (screens), application layer (logic/source code/logic/etc.), and the database (tables, columns and rows, baby! Yeah!).
It also teaches you think efficently in useful, logical statements.

Later I went back to school an received a B.S. in Management Information Systems.
Then I pursued and achieved a certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP).
Now I am finishing a Master's in Public Administration.

Do you do it full time or as a consultant on a job-by-job basis?

I use technical writing skills everyday in my duties as the I.T. Operations Manager for a public health care agency.

Do you like it or dislike it?

I like it very much.

Say anything else you want to say too.

I'm going to Chili's to get a bacon, Swiss cheese, and mushroom burger. :popc1: :cheers: :rock:

-Halla

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As part of my job as a scientist, I write journal papers and technical reports regularly - not sure this is the kind of technical writing you mean. Is there something specific you are curious about?

AntiZang

MBTI Type
INFP
Most junior colleges will offer a course that is a combined business and technical English class. I would just see what majors include that as part of the curriculum.

gromit

likes this
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions everyone!

To clarify, I do this already quite a bit as part of my current career, but I guess I was wondering if there's such a thing as a full-time technical writer, and if so, what is it like... that sort of thing.

rav3n

Full time technical writer jobs do exist in very large corporations. Quite often, their role is to update living documents like policies and procedures manuals. Sorry, can't tell you what it's like to be one through experience but as a guess, it can be as interesting or boring as a person makes it. But if you're responsible for updating policies and procedures, I would guess that some learn a lot about the business they're involved with on an operational level.

I also write documents and assorted plans for a living. But it's based on conceptual visualisation of "how to" get to x goal.