12 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Angry Sexism in the Academy: F*%k Graduate School

As if you didn't already have enough reasons not to go to grad school, here's a charming blog that's especially pertinent to women considering philosophy or philosophy cognate disciplines.

Being a Woman in Philosophy

I can say from experience that a lot of this shit is common. Who would've known, from the outside-looking-in, that advanced academic programs are nothing other than (very resilient) bastions of the Cro-Magnon mentality?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

If you think this is bad.. they aren't this subtle in the military. And at least philosophers pride themselves on logic, whether they use it or not. The armed forces has no trouble thinking logic isn't important.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    If you think this is bad.. they aren't this subtle in the military. And at least philosophers pride themselves on logic, whether they use it or not. The armed forces has no trouble thinking logic isn't important.
    Its insidiousness is the most dangerous part, though.

I'm sure the military is a bitch about it, but at least you know what you're up against. Not that it makes it any better.

MBTI
    INTP

This definitely happens in the academy, but especially in philosophy. I'm not sure why philosophy attracts so many males of the arrogant douchebag variety, but I have witnessed it myself. And the attitude spreads to the undergrads, as well.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    This definitely happens in the academy, but especially in philosophy. I'm not sure why philosophy attracts so many males of the arrogant douchebag variety, but I have witnessed it myself. And the attitude spreads to the undergrads, as well.
    Yes, and especially if the program has an analytical focus (though the continental folks have their own brand of douchebags.) It's like a haven for philosophy bros.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I'd like to think region had more to do with this woman's experience than the fact it was a philosophy department. The Philosophy Departments of Utah ought not to count against the rest.
    Did you read the blog? It's a compilation of women's and men's experiences from all over the place. Of course, not all philosophy departments are that way, but a lot of them (and especially the higher ranked analytical programs) are notorious for being shitty like that.

I don't know why, but that subject seems to attract a certain undesirable element, and it becomes a bit like a boys club.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

yeah I did, it has the same poster on each one, and says nothing to variance in source. I figured Jender was the one female grad posting her experiences.

The fact it's a compilation of several people makes me question the authenticity, actually. Cherry picking isn't impressive.
    So you think it's either Jender making it sound like the stories are coming from a bunch of different people (when they are, in fact, her own stories), or the stories really are coming from a bunch of different people but Jender is cherry picking the bad ones and ignoring the good? What is your motivation for offering such foolish critiques?

And of course there are no sources attached. That's the whole goddamn point. If you had to attach your name and university, no one would submit shit.

This blog is devoted to short observations (generally fewer than 300 words) sent in by readers, about life as a woman in philosophy. Some of these will undoubtedly be tales of the sexism, conscious and unconscious, that remains. But we hope that others will be tales of ways that improvements have been (or are being) made. Many will be written by women in philosophy. But we hope that not all will be– for others in philosophy also know some important things relevant to what it’s like to be a woman in philosophy. They know, for example, what men in philosophy say to each other when the women aren’t there.
    Sigh. So what's your agenda? You'd might as well come out with it now.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm a member of my campus' Philosophy Club and while there are a considerate number of women who attend, few speak up very often, which I find saddening. I actually find it saddening when people keep to themselves in an open forum, because I like to hear from as many perspectives as possible, but there is a trend for women to not speak up in a group setting. I've read some articles about things like this, particularly how young girls and boys are socialized and how it affects their academic roles, and I'd like the trend to change.

Scarcely do I find something more attractive than an intelligent woman, and to think they're being pushed away and told to shut up! D;
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I don't have an agenda, but now that I see you have one, I have made it my motto to treat women of sophistry the likes as you are and deserve, opt for the fort mandate straight. (PS: sentences don't need logical objects. did you know that?!). No wonder your ilk gets shot down in Philosophy. Good Riddance to the beavers.

Did YOU read the blog?!??!?! oooOOOOOoohhh. Jackass. Way to Missquote me and misrepresent me. I used to think you were one of the good ones here, too. But then again I also thought Trolls were unwelcome here in Pangea? Why Troll your own landmass, for that matter? Oh well. Chronicity never bothered the Greeks, why should it us?!?!?!!>$?#$@

Wow, hey look, Kiddies, I can play with the edit button and manipulate via strawman, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey
    I am in this for the greasy wheeled, snot-nosed, ass-picklings of the remainder of Appollo's light. Furor Planedefiler laid cum on my toenails and I've never seen them so bright. I endure all hair on my body for the glory of Balthusda. Them and the Ruskies.

Phillies will win the series. Apple short sells at 200. News at 25:30
    I hope this post serves both of our agendas well. All Hail Caesar, Prince of Romanette. You have earned your kingdom with the grace and audacity that a man would. May it live long and prosper. peace! <prince dance>

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't have an agenda, but now that I see you have one, I have made it my motto to treat women of sophistry the likes as you are and deserve, opt for the fort mandate straight. (PS: sentences don't need logical objects. did you know that?!). No wonder your ilk gets shot down in Philosophy. Good Riddance to the beavers.

Did YOU read the blog?!??!?! oooOOOOOoohhh. Jackass. Way to Missquote me and misrepresent me. I used to think you were one of the good ones here, too. But then again I also thought Trolls were unwelcome here in Pangea? Why Troll your own landmass, for that matter? Oh well. Chronicity never bothered the Greeks, why should it us?!?!?!!>$?#$@

Wow, hey look, Kiddies, I can play with the edit button and manipulate via strawman, too!

I hope this post serves both of our agendas well. All Hail Caesar, Prince of Romanette. You have earned your kingdom with the grace and audacity that a man would. May it live long and prosper. peace! <prince dance>
    Are you drunk? Either way this is the most humorous post I've read all week. Congratulations, whether you were being serious or not.