User Tag List

First 123 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

it's not even debatable outside of really bizarre circumstances. quitting >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>being fired. (not the same as laid off)
    -end of thread-

If you dislike a job that much, become a shining example until you've found another job. Then leave quietly and on friendly terms. Never burn a work-related reference.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I've been fired, but the company had such a bad rep that it actually looks good I got fired, especially since the company I left before that, welcomed me back with open arms. I wouldn't count on that. It was a hair raising couple of weeks. I was very lucky, I had sent out C.V's and got in contact with peeps weeks before hand. I was planning on leaving anyway. I didn't expect to be fired though. I'm lucky that upon explaining the situation, most potential employers have seen how unreasonable the company was, especially as I was in contact with lawyers getting ready to take them to court over bullying. They fired me the day they found out. (That also could potentially look bad, but as I said the company had a horrendous reputation.)
    On the whole though, quitting looks better, as you can dress it up and phrase it so it's about personal growth.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I believe that when a future employer does a verification, they can not ask for the details of your exit. They can ask
    What your title was
    What your responsibilites involved
    What your pay was
    How long you worked there
    Who your boss was
    What deparment you were under
    IF YOU ARE REHIREABE <--------- This will tell them if you left on good terms or not.

It's always, ALWAYS better to not burn a bridge. Put in your two weeks, quit appropriately, and you should be fine as long as you don't have a pattern of multiple short length jobs.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    Fired is being forced to leave for failure to do your job properly
    That's not true. You might be fired because your company decided to cut costs in your line of work, even if your contribution is wholesome.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Like which one is one that you do not want other employeers to know about? Like getting fired is something you have to write on job applications and it can carry a negative stigma because most people are fired for a failure on their part. But quitting can be done for a number of reasons that can easily be understandable. But quitting a job can also seem lazy and has it's own negative stigma in some respects.

So if I dislike a job, should I be rude as I want till I'm fired, or should I just quit?
    Get another job. I just fired someone with this type of attitude. Would have stayed forever, never doing anything and being a pain the rear because he hated the line of work but wanted the paycheck.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    INTP

Getting fired is terrible. Go for the exit interview. Make sure everyone loves you. Humans are resources.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Look for another job, then quit. Don't get fired...that's bad.

MBTI
    nerd

laid off is the best. months, years of collecting unemployment and smoking pot. not bad enough to get fired, but bad enough that you'll be among the first to get downsized when it has to be done. not that that's an option all the time, but surf the line when you can.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Well I'm in the process of aquiring another job and I'm looking in other places too, so there no need to worry, I'm not going to premptively quit my job before getting another one.

Although apparently I'm not scheduled to work at all next week, and I'm not sure why. Crap.