User Tag List

MBTI
    LoLz

Default Getting resume building advice?

I've realized that at the end of this semester, I will have a payroll accounting certificate from my college that will allow me to try for some job hunting. This quickly made me see I needed a resume and got to work on one. I sent my first draft to the job placement office and they sent me some documents I tried going by but I still feel like I'm lacking something.

Granted, this is my first one. I posted a link to it. Any advice on things to change or service to go inquire with for lessons, I'd appreciate.

https://sites.google.com/site/razresume/

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Your local Workforce Center may also be another resource for resume advice.

I looked over your resume. It is formatted well and easy to read. I noticed that under work experience you only have one job listed. If you've only had job, that's okay but do you have any volunteer experience with skills that would be related to the job you are applying for? If so, I'd encourage you to add that on.

Under skills you mention about experience with Excel, Powerpoint, etc. You might want to expand a little bit here. For how long? What specific parts? Regarding the critical thinking skills, in what ways have you demonstrated this in your work? Anyone can say they have this skill. What job seekers are looking for are concrete examples where you have used that skill.

Hope that helps.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    LoLz

Okay, thanks. I'll try to work on that then. The only place I've worked with was the job placement office at my college that sent me back 3 documents to reference which made me change a lot of things.

As for volunteer work, I don't really have any. I'm in Phi Theta Kappa but I don't do any activities with them. I joined at first because I think a teacher recommended it for my GPA.

MBTI
    LoLz

This is the one I sent to Job Placement at the college and it was approved:

https://sites.google.com/site/razresume/

Now it's onto the job search this summer since I finished the semester. I got a few business cards at a job fair a few weeks ago and some emails from my sister for temp companies. Job placement has a full and part time job listing they get from companies. There's Craigslist and Monster along with the newspaper classifieds. Where would you really find someone needing an entry level payroll clerk? haha.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Nice resume.

Are you having any luck with the temp agencies?

After i came out of retail and was looking at the banking sector, i went to an agency and after a little running around i finally got into a bank on an entry level, to which i was quickly taken on permanently by the company then promoted.

On a side note - I write resumes/cv's for my clients and i find them a pain in the backside. Having looked and complied a resume suitable for Canadian employment, i find your way of compiling a resume so much harder than in the UK.

Having multiple experience in different sectors and a lot of education/training history, i find it very difficult to compress the information as what i'm trying to show on my resume is transferrable skills.

Anyway, good luck in your quest for suitable employment
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe