User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Job Interviews

MBTI
    ENTP

Don't waste your time working in any profession that gives credence to trivial interview questions over actual talent and ability.

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Don't waste your time working in any profession that gives credence to trivial interview questions over actual talent and ability.
    whats a profession that doesn't? are you thinking firefighters?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Working isn't the real problem. Human Resources departments are.

Anyway, most interviews are weird, and interviewers generally assume you're much dumber than they are and are trying to screw them. So good luck, it's not an easy world out there. Actually learning the job is generally much easier than going through the tedium usually posited by 99% of interviews.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    A good interviewer will pin you down in a corner and you won't be able to do that unless you are amazingly adept at making up things that are consistent and fit together on the fly.
    See, this is where our understanding of a good interviewer meets with some disagreement. Either a good interviewer is a very rare find, or a good interviewer is not what you claim it to be. To me, a good interviewer is one that approves of me and helps me get the job.

MBTI
    ----

enjoy those soup kitchen dinners!

I have an interview in 30 minutes! I went above and beyond in my prep by printing all my letters of recommendation, cover letter, and resume on super nice paper, and enclosed them in a report protector (the thing with the clear cover and 3 hole prongs). In the cover letter I made sure to put emphasis on the traits they were looking for. If you don't have letters of recommendations from previous jobs since your new to the work force maybe try and get a teacher to write one for you !
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    hahaha. and the all time classic when asked "what are your weaknesses?"
    and they answer with a “strength disguised as a weakness” answer.

hahahah don't do it!
    See it is all a big game. There is no one size fits all answer. You go to a recruiter or placement agency and they will give you this very advice, yet some interviewers may have a personal bias against any given answer "type". The whole process is over thought on both sides IMO.

I've had interviews where I hardly got to say a thing and still got the job without even needing to sell myself and had great interviews where I didn't get a call back. I hate going to an interview and the first question is "So tell me about yourself". Especially when the job description is vague and fuzzy to begin with.

HR people are the worst and usually have no clue what the hiring managers really want.

Surely there are many personal biases that play a role in hiring one candidate over another. Its a necessary evil.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Do interviewers really ask "what's your weakness?"?

"My weakness? What, suddenly I'm in therapy?! GIVE ME THE DAMN JOB, ASSHOLE!"
    "So, well, yeah, anger issues, I guess."
    Lmao, yes I have been asked that before.

I think my answer was that sometimes I may be overly perfectionist and get so engrossed in what I am attempting to achieve that I do not stop to allow others assist me in what I am doing. Followed by an example of when I realized team work was important during my last job, and the strides I had made to become increasingly aware of the group.

Its a bullshit question. Most of them are. Then again if I were an interviewer I would ask questions like.

How fast do you learn?

What would you consider to be a work place code of honor?

If asked to cover for someone else's position for a day, how would you handle that?

General resume questions.

Hypothetical conflict, ask person how they would solve it.

I would use the interview to mostly vibe on them and most of my decision would come from references and histories (which I would check). Then again I have the ability to see through propaganda and drama, and note the possible dynamics that happened in other positions.

MBTI
    INFP

Job interviews are like a date you go on so that they can see if you are what they are looking for or if you are compatible with their needs. Be yourself and SHOW them your good qualities with your demeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioINTP View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm
    hahaha. and the all time classic when asked "what are your weaknesses?"
    and they answer with a “strength disguised as a weakness” answer.

hahahah don't do it!
    See it is all a big game. There is no one size fits all answer. You go to a recruiter or placement agency and they will give you this very advice, yet some interviewers may have a personal bias against any given answer "type". The whole process is over thought on both sides IMO.
    it depends what sort of job you're interviewing for.

in constructed behavioral interviews, question
    like these seek to find out what were your key
    takeaways from your experience regarding a specific
    incident.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken