User Tag List

First 123 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I was always frustrated by the sheer volume of non-Major related courses I had to take. All those dumb Fine Arts credits, International credits. Sociology and Psych courses. Even all the English courses I had to take... English Comp 1 and 2, Public Speaking class, an extra Writing course, another "Writing Enhanced" course.

Sorry, but Im a Biology major... I want to take science courses. I would rather take 8 semesters of nothing but science than waste my time with an Art History course. And half of those low level humanities/social science courses are designed to be an easy A because the professors know it's just a bunch of people who don't give a shit about that subject. They were all laughably easy and a waste of my time.

I love Grad school because of that.... None of those fluff courses.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Sorry, but I'm a Biology major... I want to take science courses.
    No fluff is how we do it in Australia. Our 4th year involves advanced courses and a research thesis. A decent mark in 4th year and you can be admitted to do a 3 year PhD (typically no coursework required).

Glycerine

Well, I will be taking 6 nonmajor and two major courses for my senior year next semester. I do not have time to switch my major. Oh well

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

forced public speaking class... I've always liked how they had to get around explaining that shit.

some classes just wouldn't get any love if it weren't for them being forced fillers.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    No fluff is how we do it in Australia. Our 4th year involves advanced courses and a research thesis. A decent mark in 4th year and you can be admitted to do a 3 year PhD (typically no coursework required).
    Nice. Here it's no fluff too (there is no such a thing as electives and-or courses unrelated to your major), yet you can never be admitted to a PhD with just a bachelor's, you always need a master's (and you still have to go through coursework, which is pretty stupid imho) I know some australians around my age that are almost finished with their PhD, damn.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Nice. Here it's no fluff too (there is no such a thing as electives and-or courses unrelated to your major), yet you can never be admitted to a PhD with just a bachelor's, you always need a master's (and you still have to go through coursework, which is pretty stupid imho) I know some australians around my age that are almost finished with their PhD, damn.
    I'm very jealous of this. Why the fuck is America the only country that has to take so many bullshit classes? Given that I went on to do a Master's degree anyway.... I want to rewind and move to Australia. I graduated with a perfect 4.0 (Which is all A's here, 92-100%). Would that have made me eligible to go on to a 3 year PHD? Fuck this country! Why am I not Australian?!
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Would that have made me eligible to go on to a 3 year PHD? Fuck this country! Why am I not Australian?!
    You would still needed to have done a research thesis. If you only do a 3 year degree, then you need a masters degree to qualify for a PhD programme. 3 years is actually too little for many students though, and they have to get a 1/2 year scholarship extension or support themselves with TA appointments if they take 4-5 years.

MBTI
    infp

I get the sense that right now, the majority of undergrad students feel the same way, and for very good reasons. Perhaps that was true of previous generations, too

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I'm very jealous of this. Why the fuck is America the only country that has to take so many bullshit classes? Given that I went on to do a Master's degree anyway.... I want to rewind and move to Australia. I graduated with a perfect 4.0 (Which is all A's here, 92-100%). Would that have made me eligible to go on to a 3 year PHD? Fuck this country! Why am I not Australian?!
    ... that (and the fact that I really couldn't be bothered to study for graduate admissions tests) is the exact reason why I decided to do my PhD in Australia instead of the US. By the way, I did all science classes through my undergraduate years, none of that stupid "elective" crap.

*ahem* Then after I graduated my university (led by our eminent vice-chancellor who will not be named) decided to shift towards a US-system of general undergrad degree, complete with electives, everything else (medicine, dentistry, etc.) postgrad study - and shut many of the small arts departments. I'm not mentioning my university, but it would be obvious enough because it's the only one in Australia which did this. Now we have unbelievably huge pre-med classes and not enough students going on to higher study (and honours) in the more difficult upper-level science classes. It's ridiculous.

Note of warning for those who want to do the same thing and come to Aus though - govt is cutting the budget for medical research by 20% so we're expecting lots of labs and institutes to close. We're protesting it but insider sources have told us more or less that it's a "done deal".

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

If my goal in attending University is to simply increase my knowledge, then independent study seems to be the better option, imho.

If my goal is to get a career working for somebody else after University, then I have no choice but to play the game.

University does provide a unique social environment that I think those who enjoy that sort of thing should take advantage of, as it's totally different after college.