User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 60

  1. #41
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    I remember many people who originally started their major in mechanical engineering because they thought its about being creative. Then when it came to topics like fluid mechanics, advanced material mechanics or control engineering they switched their major because class was hard. I personally think nowadays that engineering involves a different sort of creativity. See, I'ld suck at making a creative movie or writing a creative text, but I am fundamentally good at problem solving, which requires a talent in analysis and problem understanding first. I think especially if you want to go into the field of EE or ME which involves some abilities in math and physics, I think you need to be someone like a creative nerd, who likes logic puzzles and who is just fascinated by natural science the moment he hears the word.

    To me it involves a lot of passion, I am sure you can become a good engineer by being a good learner but if you want to be one of the best, you definitly need passion and have to go to bed at nights with a T-profile alloy, poisson ratio .3 of stainless steel V2A 18/8
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    They talk way too much about sex. The show has technical errors. And I never understood how a PhD physicist like Sheldon can't afford to pay the rent on his own in an apartment building affordable to a waitress. Still, Sheldon is correct about engineering in some respects.
    Simple... he was a scientist, not an engineer.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I remember many people who originally started their major in mechanical engineering because they thought its about being creative. Then when it came to topics like fluid mechanics, advanced material mechanics or control engineering they switched their major because class was hard. I personally think nowadays that engineering involves a different sort of creativity. See, I'ld suck at making a creative movie or writing a creative text, but I am fundamentally good at problem solving, which requires a talent in analysis and problem understanding first. I think especially if you want to go into the field of EE or ME which involves some abilities in math and physics, I think you need to be someone like a creative nerd, who likes logic puzzles and who is just fascinated by natural science the moment he hears the word.

    To me it involves a lot of passion, I am sure you can become a good engineer by being a good learner but if you want to be one of the best, you definitly need passion and have to go to bed at nights with a T-profile alloy, poisson ratio .3 of stainless steel V2A 18/8
    Yeah...I can see that. I'm computer eng. Half my class started wanting to do hardware in first year. Then we learnt about signals and amplifiers and gates. Now most of my class if focused on software with just get it done attitude. For some reason, my trajectory has been completely different. I got into engineering because it took less time then medicine. Then I discovered programming and WOAH - my world changed...i came to lover engineering. Problem solving became my thing.

    Now I'm just starting to get into hardware design - its hard (i find calculus challenging - freakin circuits and signals are all laplace and fourier) but i think it should be worth it. plus whats the point if you don't sweat a little!

  4. #44
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    The list of not-in-my-immediate-workgroup friends/colleagues who have said things "that [person] is such a bitch/jerk/asshole, I don't know how you manage to put up with them!" is unfortunately not as small of a list as one might expect.
    Oh yeah, and also I hate working with bitches, jerks, and assholes. Many of them are much more expendable than they think they are, and I've seen more than a few who have been shown that in no uncertain terms by their supervisors, managers, and teammates.

    I also did not like working with people who were holed up in their dark offices and didn't provide me with the direction or feedback that was their responsibility to provide--especially when I was still in college and needed the guidance. I mean, it's cool if you work better alone, but not when you're responsible for interns or other underlings.

    Thankfully, integrated team-oriented approaches to engineering and science problems do exist out there, and some people have learned to work effectively on teams.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    Now I'm just starting to get into hardware design - its hard (i find calculus challenging - freakin circuits and signals are all laplace and fourier) but i think it should be worth it. plus whats the point if you don't sweat a little!
    It's good to learn it just for fun, but 99.99999% of hardware engineering tasks won't require any math beyond what you learned in grade school.

  6. #46

    Default

    Happy people are still contributing to this thread. It's been helpful. Still on the fence over mechanical or electrical, though. Not that it REALLY matters. I suppose I can figure that out later.

    Maybe I should flip a coin.

  7. #47
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Think its time for the myers briggs enginering indicator
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #48
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Happy people are still contributing to this thread. It's been helpful. Still on the fence over mechanical or electrical, though. Not that it REALLY matters. I suppose I can figure that out later.

    Maybe I should flip a coin.
    It is my understanding that electrical is MUCH more mathematical in terms of "exotic" math [Fourier and Laplace transforms for example], and often relates to circuits or circuit design. I'm less familiar here, but mechanical often seems much more about S-tasks, and/or using CAD to design something. As I understand, the math is usually more "straightforward" and "plug in a number to the computer program and see what it spits out." EE is usually used as the prototypical example of an N engineering discipline, whereas civil/mechanical seems the prototypical example. The EE's I knew in school had very regimented class schedules ["you get 4 electives over your entire 4 yr college track"], with as I recall almost all of their courses being circuit-related [graduate level expands more, and perhaps curricula have changed since 10 years ago?] whereas it seemed like mechE's had more flexibility in terms of electives AND in specializing [aerospace for example].

    If you wanna deal with more math or spend a career building/designing/analyzing circuits [grad school will facilitate additional options] then EE is the obvious choice, I keep wanting to say that MechE is more broadly transferable with more options in terms of different directions to go in a career.

  9. #49
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    I still dont get who created the myth about ME is more for S's and has less to do with math. Those people obviously have never worked with gearbox engineering as in second-third-and forth degree harmonics or power plant engineering as in thermodynamics

    If that's so easy that it hasnt to be mentioned compared to what EEs are doing my already strong feelings of inadequancy resulting from not being like the other kids make me feel dumb
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  10. #50
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Are fourier transforms considered fancy math? Just wondering, because they're finding their way in economics and finance too, as of late.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Similar Threads

  1. Software Engineers (Web Developers, etc), what tech company?
    By mysavior in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 07:46 PM
  2. Sexy Engineers
    By 01011010 in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 06:28 PM
  3. Summer Engineering Internship
    By JonJT in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 09:34 PM
  4. Art and Engineering
    By kuranes in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO