First 12345 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You might offer to do the job for free for a day or two, as a "trial run" cum "training period." It's pretty extreme, but it worked for guys during the Depression.
    Is that legal anymore?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Oberon

Typically, a guy would show up at a place of business and just start working... doing whatever needed done, sweeping, cleaning, carrying, whatever. After a couple of days of this somebody would either shoo him out or put him on the payroll.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Typically, a guy would show up at a place of business and just start working... doing whatever needed done, sweeping, cleaning, carrying, whatever. After a couple of days of this somebody would either shoo him out or put him on the payroll.
    Yea, I know it. Nowadays you'd probably just get shooed out, though, I imagine.

(Edit: Starbucks is supposed to be like a second home for people though. At least around here. You can linger as long as you want and they won't shoo you out. That's an actual rule. They may as well just give you a paycheck if you're sweeping and washing tables.)

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

What kinds of things are you guys lying about on your resumes? Gimmie examples. I've never heard of anyone doing it, but I'm wondering if that's because I had an easy life with easy opportunities. (So when I put "built houses in Africa" on my resume, it's truthful, because I was enabled by family.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    What kinds of things are you guys lying about on your resumes? Gimmie examples. I've never heard of anyone doing it, but I'm wondering if that's because I had an easy life with easy opportunities. (So when I put "built houses in Africa" on my resume, it's truthful, because I was enabled by family.)
    I wouldn't necessarily "lie" so much. Like say I did something that I didn't actually do. All my strengths and skills on the resume happen to fall into the category of whatever the ad said that they were looking for, though. Normally skills are very general in nature anyway. In my field... "Detail oriented." "Ability to work with a wide variety of age groups"- (insert far fetched reason here.)

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

If you're not having any luck finding a part-time job, have you considered interning during the summer? It might get you a shoe in, reliant on what kind of career you're looking for. When companies like you, they make room for you.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

If you're not having any luck finding a part-time job, have you considered interning during the summer? It might get you a shoe in, reliant on what kind of career you're looking for. When companies like you, they make room for you.
    The bolded part is spot on. Interning is a great way to both beef up your resume and gain work experience. And like Jenaphor pointed out, if the company likes you, they will make room. I've seen this happen time and again, most recently in the job I got laid off at. Unfortunately, I was the one laid off to make room for the new guy.
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    As an unemployed person, I've come closer to getting a decent paying professional job that involved creativity, autonomy, & opportunity for advancement in this economy than a part-time retail, minimum wage position. The application/interviewing process is actually easier also....
    Speak to me...Tell me your secrets.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    Speak to me...Tell me your secrets.
    For staying unemployed?
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Its not lying on the resume, it's lying in the interview. Obviously you can't be 100% honest.. They have specific things they are looking to hear some of which might not be true to you. But you say it anyway. If you can't think of something awesome you did at you last job when asked, make something up or think of something someone else did that was awesome and then say it was you.
    I felt like crap at first, but everybody else is doing it.
    The playing field is not even. The odds are against you. SO you do what you can just like everybody else does.

You can't lie about stuff they can check.. It's more like you exaggerate about stuff they can't.