User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 43

  1. #11
    ¡MI TORTA! Amethyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Pretty much. Those personality tests many minimum wage retail jobs give now basically seek answers which show you have such qualities. I read an article that says they are NOT seeking above-average intelligence, creativity or qualities that would enable a person to advance in a career, or enable them to think much beyond their required tasks. They're looking for people who will be content in a menial job for a long time, to cut costs on training new employees. Having a well written resume & lots of work experience may NOT be in your favor when applying for these jobs. Over-qualification rules you out fast, as they see someone who will leave as soon as a better opportunity comes along because they see you are capable of more.

    Those personality tests are also borderline unethical, IMO. A question Target asks: "Do you have traditional values?". Whoooooooa there - why don't you just ask my religion? Of course, INFP personality traits are pretty much the antithesis of what they are seeking also. I might get flak for saying this, but the descriptions read like "ESXJ w/ average intelligence or slightly below".

    As an unemployed person, I've come closer to getting a decent paying professional job that involved creativity, autonomy, & opportunity for advancement in this economy than a part-time retail, minimum wage position. The application/interviewing process is actually easier also....
    I remember one time, which relates to the bolded part, where I was applying for a job at a local restaurant, because my dad knows the owner, and I thought with some charm and persistence I'd be a shoe-in. At the time, however, they were already in their 'busy' season and were really only looking for dishwashers. I was told in the interview, 'You seem over-qualified for the job...do you feel over-qualified?' I said 'Definitely not.' Mostly because I believed that to be a trick question, or that the owner actually believed I was over-qualified for the job (she went on about how that job is usually reserved for 13-15 year olds etc.).


    I'm going to apply to a few more places this week when I find the time....and bother a few more while I'm at it. That parrot thing is a great idea though.

    Also, I've never heard of any place accepting written resumes for such kinds of jobs...I've never written one before...

  2. #12
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Hint: the right answer is "yes! I love being a mindless slave! I live to serve my superiors and deserve nothing for myself!"
    huh? what do you mean? they ask you this?!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  3. #13
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Pretty much. Those personality tests many minimum wage retail jobs give now basically seek answers which show you have such qualities. I read an article that says they are NOT seeking above-average intelligence, creativity or qualities that would enable a person to advance in a career, or enable them to think much beyond their required tasks. They're looking for people who will be content in a menial job for a long time, to cut costs on training new employees. Having a well written resume & lots of work experience may NOT be in your favor when applying for these jobs. Over-qualification rules you out fast, as they see someone who will leave as soon as a better opportunity comes along because they see you are capable of more.

    Those personality tests are also borderline unethical, IMO. A question Target asks: "Do you have traditional values?". Whoooooooa there - why don't you just ask my religion? Of course, INFP personality traits are pretty much the antithesis of what they are seeking also. I might get flak for saying this, but the descriptions read like "ESXJ w/ average intelligence or slightly below".

    As an unemployed person, I've come closer to getting a decent paying professional job that involved creativity, autonomy, & opportunity for advancement in this economy than a part-time retail, minimum wage position. The application/interviewing process is actually easier also....
    i think this is what i've been dealing with as well and it makes me mad. they have no idea what your situation is....maybe you don't really have to work and you just want to work somewhere you think would be fun...who cares if your over qualified...you obviously want to work there or you wouldn't bother applying...it's fucking stupid.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  4. #14
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    For whatever reason, I find this to be particularly hard to do.

    I feel like I'm not doing anything wrong, but I'm not getting any positive results from what I have been doing. If I apply somewhere, I'll pester them infrequently, as I'm not really sure how much pestering is too much, and if they haven't been hiring for a while, then I'll move on. If somewhere is hiring, however, I'll apply, pester them until I get an interview (rarely does this happen) and then call and say 'Thanks for the interview, just checking to see where you are on hiring etc.'

    Yet, nothing.

    Are there any techniques you have used just to get a basic job? Do you know what works, and what doesn't?
    Dress really nice, fashionably. Nothing too tight or uncomfortable, though. Be fresh and clean. Be wide awake. (But not so much coffee that you'll be nervous.) Be friendly. Act interested. (Be interested, actually. If only for the interview.) Firm handshake. Eye contact. Know your strengths and weaknesses. and be able to make your weaknesses sound mild. (Or as if they are fixable, or turn your weaknesses into strengths.) Most importantly, get references who think you are God's gift. I've always been gotten the job once I got an interview, no one has turned me down, and this has been my technique.

    Regarding the before interview process- resumes and applications.. I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  5. #15
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    I remember one time, which relates to the bolded part, where I was applying for a job at a local restaurant, because my dad knows the owner, and I thought with some charm and persistence I'd be a shoe-in. At the time, however, they were already in their 'busy' season and were really only looking for dishwashers. I was told in the interview, 'You seem over-qualified for the job...do you feel over-qualified?' I said 'Definitely not.' Mostly because I believed that to be a trick question, or that the owner actually believed I was over-qualified for the job (she went on about how that job is usually reserved for 13-15 year olds etc.).


    I'm going to apply to a few more places this week when I find the time....and bother a few more while I'm at it. That parrot thing is a great idea though.

    Also, I've never heard of any place accepting written resumes for such kinds of jobs...I've never written one before...
    You should have worn your baggy jeans and gone in with a hangover and left your hair as is. Tsk tsk.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  6. #16
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Honestly, I went on craigslist.org and just kept throwing my applications everywhere. I tried monster.com and all that other bullshit.. but it seems like unless you go apply to a store-front in person, or use craigslist or something like that, it is hard to find work.

    I've been job hunting for 3 months now. I'm pretty close to landing two jobs. (I hope!!) It is NOT easy. Even with my resume being tailored for several different work fields, it just is hard to come across a job. Keep your options open and apply to EVERYTHING that meets your minimum criteria for a job. Keep your chin up.

    Oh. And lie. A lot. Be yourself in person, but lie for everything else. You're after what they've got.. and 90% of them won't remember the smaller, stupider lies anyways.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  7. #17
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Honestly, I went on craigslist.org and just kept throwing my applications everywhere. I tried monster.com and all that other bullshit.. but it seems like unless you go apply to a store-front in person, or use craigslist or something like that, it is hard to find work.

    I've been job hunting for 3 months now. I'm pretty close to landing two jobs. (I hope!!) It is NOT easy. Even with my resume being tailored for several different work fields, it just is hard to come across a job. Keep your options open and apply to EVERYTHING that meets your minimum criteria for a job. Keep your chin up.

    Oh. And lie. A lot. Be yourself in person, but lie for everything else. You're after what they've got.. and 90% of them won't remember the smaller, stupider lies anyways.
    No, they won't remember. Once you're in, you're in. And they'll put your application in a pile somewhere and go hunting for some other liar.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  8. #18
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    this thread is making me feel better...i am about to develop a complex. all my life...literally since i was 16 i have gotten every job i ever applied for. i just saw some cool place where i wanted to work walked in and got it...and now it's like my charm is gone...sometimes i even get intimidated and say the stupidest things....i don't know what the hell is going on...and i was so sure i had this one very cool seeming job...during the interview she was trying to sell me on it...we talked for twice as long as we had scheduled...laughing and connecting and i was just sure i had it...but i must have said something wrong to the next person i spoke with in the follow up because i didn't...grr...

    /end rant um...sorry haha
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  9. #19
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    this thread is making me feel better...i am about to develop a complex. all my life...literally since i was 16 i have gotten every job i ever applied for. i just saw some cool place where i wanted to work walked in and got it...and now it's like my charm is gone...sometimes i even get intimidated and say the stupidest things....i don't know what the hell is going on...and i was so sure i had this one very cool seeming job...during the interview she was trying to sell me on it...we talked for twice as long as we had scheduled...laughing and connecting and i was just sure i had it...but i must have said something wrong to the next person i spoke with in the follow up because i didn't...grr...

    /end rant um...sorry haha
    It probably has more to do with the lack of jobs right now than you.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  10. #20
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    You might offer to do the job for free for a day or two, as a "trial run" cum "training period." It's pretty extreme, but it worked for guys during the Depression.

Similar Threads

  1. [Fi] How do you get in tune with yourself?
    By gretch in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-24-2016, 07:13 AM
  2. How do you get motivation?
    By JivinJeffJones in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 12:39 PM
  3. [MBTItm] How do you get along with the SJs?
    By nolla in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 03:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO