User Tag List

View Poll Results: should whatever go to grad school?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, whatever, you SHOULD go to grad school

11 68.75%
  • no, whatever, you should just submit to society

2 12.50%
  • other- please specify

3 18.75%
123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default should I go to grad school?

I really don't like life outside of school all that much... I'm bored with doing the same damned thing every day and I can't see myself enjoying my future of working really... having to act all professional makes me want to poke my eyes out with a wooden spoon

I totally intended to go to grad school while I was in college, but my parents encouraged me to just graduate after my bachelors degrees and get a job. I've done that and I really feel kind of incredibly trapped... cornered by life in a way.

Should I go to grad school or give in to the whole grind of life?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I think the question you should ask yourself is this: what have you got to lose by going?

Especially if you can get a TAship. The people who talk about "wasting your time" are doing it within the career framework. As in, "you could be investing your time climbing a corporate ladder," or something to that effect.

I'm fully funded right now, having the greatest year of my life, feeling challenged and inspired, and am surrounded by people who are encouraging my development. My department is, on the whole, drama-free. I'm experiencing a new chapter in my life.

I'm loving grad school. You'd love it too.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Do you want to? Do it! I'm going back to school too. Grad school students FTW!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Do you have a subject area of great interest that you are willing to intensively focus on the next few years?

Are you willing to take out more student loans, adding to your debt?

It depends on what you ultimately want to do with your life. If you feel that only having a Bachelors degree is seriously limiting your job options, then graduate school would be a good option.

I wouldn't recommend going to graduate school just to escape the grind of life. If that's the case, you'd probably be better off just finding a different job.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I actually MISS school... I miss getting to research things, I miss writing papers... I even really miss playing with numbers and being surrounded by people who think that learning stuff is a lot of fun. I'd always planned on studying more Sociology because it's always seemed so easy to understand and INTERESTING- it involves people!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I'm wrestling with this same issue, but from a different angle. I'm a social work major. I figured I'd have a bit of an advantage, as with my physical disability and learning disability (not to mention my mom has worked as both a nurse and with special needs students and I've been exposed to said populations). Problem is, I don't WANT to go to grad school- and sure as hell not to be society's underpaid, overworked, and underappreciated bitch. Dont get me wrong, I love helping people who want someone to reach out to. I just hate dealing with people who don't WANT help, which happens a lot, depending on what field you end up in. I've also always wanted to relocate to a nice urban area, and social work is increasingly focused on rural populations.

*sigh*

Don't give in to life. Grab it by the balls, and bend it to your will.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Are you willing to take out more student loans, adding to your debt?
    A huge # of grad students in America are fully funded because the nation is very ESTJ hierarchical, and the higher-ups don't want to deal with freshmen. Hence, loans are relatively easy to avoid.
    It depends on what you ultimately want to do with your life. If you feel that only having a Bachelors degree is seriously limiting your job options, then graduate school would be a good option.
    Why on earth does grad school have to relate to a job option? Being educated to further one's job prospects is called trade school, in my home country. I see your point, but it's predicated on a false assumption that others need not share. You're assuming a lot of things.

I wouldn't recommend going to graduate school just to escape the grind of life. If that's the case, you'd probably be better off just finding a different job.
    This is good advice that I agree with.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think the question you should ask yourself is this: what have you got to lose by going?
    I think that the question I would ask is "What have you got to win by going?"

It seems from your post that you feel kind of lost and disillusioned with the working world, and you enjoy school. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I think a lot of people attend grad school for similar reasons, but much of the time it's just a delay tactic. In two years or so, you will be back in the same place with a very expensive degree. If on the other hand you aspire to a career in academia or you want a professional degree, then grad school is not only a wise choice but a necessary one.

I recently participated in a career panel for college juniors and seniors in my discipline (communications/media/PR/journalism, etc.) and was frequently asked the grad school question. I counseled most of the students against graduate school. I enjoyed my grad school experience and I learned a great deal. I also wound up with a $22,000 M.S. that was utterly worthless as a career credential. In many cases, a master's degree is not only value neutral, but a hindrance when trying to get a job. Employers see that on a resume and may expect that you want more money than another candidate or that you may bolt the job for another one more quickly. In my case, I would have done things very differently if I knew what I know now. I would have taken that money and used it as a nest egg to enter the working world.

I know that my personal experiences and those of other people in my particular academic discipline are not applicable to everyone. But the point to take from it is that when you decide to go to grad school, think about what your discipline is and whether that degree will be an asset to you. If money is not a concern for you, then by all means education is a worthy pursuit. But that's not the case for the vast majority of people considering grad school, and you may wind up in a couple of years saddled with debt and no better outlook than you do now.

Good luck
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

^ Any advice to a junior social work major?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I know that my personal experiences and those of other people in my particular academic discipline are not applicable to everyone. But the point to take from it is that when you decide to go to grad school, think about what your discipline is and whether that degree will be an asset to you. If money is not a concern for you, then by all means education is a worthy pursuit. But that's not the case for the vast majority of people considering grad school, and you may wind up in a couple of years saddled with debt and no better outlook than you do now.

Good luck
    I agree with this. Nothing wrong with education for the sake of education, as long as you're willing and able afford it (and as long as your future self is, as well!). Just be aware of all the potential consequences and likely outcomes, good and bad.

But you sound like you want a career change, not just education. In which case you'll want to make sure that your grad school is leading you to a career you want, and a career that's attainable for you. Sociology doesn't have a particularly high rate of grads who end up with a career working in that field, but look into your options.
    -end of thread-