User Tag List

View Poll Results: should whatever go to grad school?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, whatever, you SHOULD go to grad school

11 68.75%
  • no, whatever, you should just submit to society

2 12.50%
  • other- please specify

3 18.75%
First 1234 Last

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I feel trapped, and I'm not even done with my bachelors degree.

MBTI
    N
    Enneagram

I think it depends what you want to get out of a higher degree. A lot of people go for a Masters or PHD just because they enjoy school, this is a mistake. A PHD is years of commitment that you may or may not be prepared for. You may exit as an expert in your field, but you'll still need to find a job in the end. And just because you have a PHD does not mean you're guaranteed a job. For instance, a PHD in philosophy only qualifies you to be a professor. A PHD in literature is no different.

IMO, a higher degree in certain fields can only add to your value. If you're not getting a job with a bachelors, a second bachelors or masters in order to fine tune your expertise can only improve your chances. But, as I mentioned before, any degrees does not guarantee work. You will still need to hunt for a job when you come out.

I have a friend working on a second bachelors in computer engineering. He is working full time and going to school part time. That is exactly the way to go. You need to improve your resume while you're in school. Unless your pursuit is purely academic you can never develop all the skills you need for a job until you're in the job.

With all that in mind, don't get me wrong, school is important. But school is only what you put into it. At the end of the day, if you're not willing to put in the time to learn why go to college? Even an MBA student needs to properly understand how to run a business. Just the title isn't enough.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't approve part-time schooling while working. It's too much work. If you're doing it, you're overextending yourself as a human being.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't approve part-time schooling while working. It's too much work. If you're doing it, you're overextending yourself as a human being.
    Nonsense, plenty of teachers have to do it. I think some people have the drive to do it.
    "Others should not judge what you truly are, instead you should find yourself. You may find yourself in a bowl of cereal or dreaming of the unknown, but make sure it is you who finds you." - Myself

ENTP
    Extroverted (E) 56.76% Introverted (I) 43.24%
    Intuitive (N) 64.29% Sensing (S) 35.71%
    Thinking (T) 62.5% Feeling (F) 37.5%
    Perceiving (P) 75% Judging (J) 25%

9w8 SP/SX
    Neutral

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Right now, I'm working full-time and going to school full-time, but it is at a German university (which is way different) and I'm learning exactly what I'm doing.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

The big question to me would be... What is it going to change AFTER getting your Masters/PHD?

You say you're sick of the kind of 9-5 grind, and you enjoy school, but school is only going to last 2/4/6 years depending what you pursue. After those couple years, are you just going to have to go back to the 9-5 grind again? In that situation... You have done NOTHING to better yourself except taken a break. The way your posts are worded, it makes me thing that you want to do this because it will make you happy during the school years. Have you addressed how you will feel after the school is done?

A lot of Master's degrees won't get you out of that working/grind. It's just the same deal.

Is pursuing this going to put you in a situation where you will be happier with your life 10 years from now? If yes... I say go for it.

If you're only doing this to take a 4 year break, and then go right back to the grind... I say 'why bother?'.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Go to graduate school, my ESTP sister!!!!
    You'll learn bizarre new things! :horor:
    You'll meet and get to terrify lots of brand new people!
    The student loans let you buy all kinds of cool stuff!
    The grants are yours to keep for FREE!
    And then after that, you can emigrate to a land far, far away, and open a margarita stand on the beach, and live the good life!

THE END!

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Right now, I'm working full-time and going to school full-time, but it is at a German university (which is way different) and I'm learning exactly what I'm doing.
    Okay, I'm just saying that it's very likely that someone doing that won't have time for anything else except school and work.

Nonsense, plenty of teachers have to do it. I think some people have the drive to do it.
    Plenty of people "have" to do things, it doesn't mean it's good for them.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Yeah, why not ... what's grad school?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

If you need to take out bank loans to do so, no you should not ever go to any grad school or university.
    I WEAR A SOMBRERO TO WORK AND EAT TACOS FOR LUNCH AND FIRE MY PISTOLS IN THE AIR WHEN I'M HAPPY