User Tag List

View Poll Results: should whatever go to grad school?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, whatever, you SHOULD go to grad school

    11 68.75%
  • no, whatever, you should just submit to society

    2 12.50%
  • other- please specify

    3 18.75%
First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 33

  1. #11
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I really don't like life outside of school all that much... I'm bored with doing the same damned thing every day and I can't see myself enjoying my future of working really... having to act all professional makes me want to poke my eyes out with a wooden spoon

    I totally intended to go to grad school while I was in college, but my parents encouraged me to just graduate after my bachelors degrees and get a job. I've done that and I really feel kind of incredibly trapped... cornered by life in a way.

    Should I go to grad school or give in to the whole grind of life?

    I'm in the same boat. Lets do it together
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  2. #12
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    A huge # of grad students in America are fully funded because the nation is very ESTJ hierarchical, and the higher-ups don't want to deal with freshmen. Hence, loans are relatively easy to avoid.
    Yes, but not everyone. It depends on the program.

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Why on earth does grad school have to relate to a job option? Being educated to further one's job prospects is called trade school, in my home country. I see your point, but it's predicated on a false assumption that others need not share. You're assuming a lot of things.
    Are you outside the US? In the US there are certain jobs you can't get unless you have a Masters or a Ph.D. degree.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  3. #13
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I actually MISS school... I miss getting to research things, I miss writing papers... I even really miss playing with numbers and being surrounded by people who think that learning stuff is a lot of fun. I'd always planned on studying more Sociology because it's always seemed so easy to understand and INTERESTING- it involves people!
    I wish I was more like that. I don't actually miss any of the details about school. I do miss the generalized feeling of competition. And I'm also thinking... three more years.... and there could be an additional "1" added to the front of my salary number. My Te nags on and on. (Don't get me wrong, the subject matter interests me, but I like to have a good hold of my knowledge. I hate the idea of being at the bottom of another knowledge rung again. Plus I don't think anyone wants to hear anymore of my "I could only afford a butter finger for lunch because I'm in school, boohoo" stories.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  4. #14
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Should I go to grad school or give in to the whole grind of life?
    not to state the obvious, but the way you've phrased this suggests that you already have your answer

    or, at least, you know you don't want to give in to the grind.

    i'm in the process of looking at postbac programs myself right now. i'm very unsure of what i want to go into, but the way i'm looking at things, it's the most sensible option. here's my reasoning:

    - i want to earn a good amount of money
    - i am not interested in the business world
    - i need a job that is intellectually-oriented for me to care about getting up in the morning
    - the economy sucks now and getting a job is very difficult; should be less of a problem in ~5 yrs (i'm aiming PhD)
    - as usehername pointed out, there are a lot of programs you can get at least partial funding for
    - i really like school

    from where i'm looking, i stand a lot to gain and not much to lose. worst case scenario is i hate the program, drop it, and lose some money. or graduate and find no jobs and everyone hates me forever, but i think that's a little apocalyptic. it'd also not be much different from my current situation, i'd just be down a little money and friendless. either way the future would be wage-slave, might as well have tried.


    now i just need to figure out what i want to do

  5. #15
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Also, why isn't there a poll option for: "Whatever, Whatever! Do whatever you want, Whatever."
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  6. #16
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    I've thought about the same thing. My conclusion is that a masters degree isn't going to make or break you. I suppose it may depend on what industry you're working in and the job you're applying for. From what I've witnessed, a candidate with a masters doesn't necessarily have an edge. You might get slightly higher pay starting out, but not much.

  7. #17
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    I actually never intended NOT to go back to school after I graduated... there's way too much to learn out there for me to be comfortable stopping going to school... I'd always wanted to go into teaching or research on a higher level (or for the government!) instead of going corporate, which sucks I'd just taken a break, gotten a job and joined the real world to make my parents happy without ever intending to actually STAY there... I'd only stay if there was something that really piqued my passions, if not I'd go back to my other passions instead... doing something that I don't really enjoy is making me feel dead... I really MISS researching something, finding all of the layers of it and then explaining what I've found... I even miss stats

    the biggest problem is deciding WHAT to study, since I find a LOT of things interesting and studied enough things that I could feasably study quite a few different topics on the graduate level I've kind of been thinking that medical sociology would be interesting to study AND would have some practical implications outside of school as well...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #18
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think that the question I would ask is "What have you got to win by going?"

    It seems from your post that you feel kind of lost and disillusioned with the working world, and you enjoy school. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I think a lot of people attend grad school for similar reasons, but much of the time it's just a delay tactic. In two years or so, you will be back in the same place with a very expensive degree. If on the other hand you aspire to a career in academia or you want a professional degree, then grad school is not only a wise choice but a necessary one.
    Yeah, I think this post is pretty much key.

    Grad school is a big commitment of time and money. Personally - and this is just me personally - I don't think it's quite enough to decide to go back because you're disillusioned with the work world and you like studying. There should probably be more of a goal to it than that.

    I have a bachelors degree (English lit) and I was very seriously considering doing a masters. It's odd in a way because I am the only member of my family (that is, my parents and my older brother) who doesn't have a masters. And if you ask anyone, they would probably say that in many ways I am the most academically inclined of the family. My brother did a fantastic job of his grad degree and his thesis, but in a way I don't think he was that invested in it. I think he just did it for the accomplishment and because he could (he's very talented) and because it...amused him, in a way.

    I actually think part of the reason I DIDN'T do a grad degree is because deep down I am fairly practical-minded. I would definitely have done a masters in English, because literature is definitely my number one passion and nothing else interested me enough. But in many ways a masters in English is a stepping stone to a PhD, and not much else. My brother, for instance, is a very successful freelance journalist, but I think he could have become that with just the bachelors (he also studied English lit.) I was seriously thinking of doing a masters in English with a speciality in Arthurian literature as it was my main passion when I was about 20. But seriously, what use would that have been except to become a professor with a speciality in Arthurian/medieval lit? And I just never felt like I really wanted to do that.

    I have thought occasionally of doing a masters in journalism or publishing, which might open up some more doors to me. But the fact is, I now have a job with partly an admin focus and partly a literary/cultural focus, which is about as close to ideal for me as anything I can think of. Not that there aren't things I dislike about it, but there is more than enough I like about it. And I got that with a combination of experience and having a bachelors degree. I don't see many jobs that I'm interested in which require a masters degree.

    So yeah, sorry for the long ramble, but I would just think about it carefully and your reasons for it, and see if you can see a clear career path (or better yet, several possibilities) from it. I really wouldn't do it if it's mainly a sort of delay/avoiding thing, even if you would really enjoy it.

    I hope it all works out whatever you decide!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  9. #19
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,778

    Default

    my cousin recently went back to school, I don't know if he dropped out of college or never went, but my point is continuing your education will give you more options. It's certaintly isn't a bad idea. Lots of people are going back to school because of the recession.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  10. #20
    Senior Member Greta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    INTe
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think that the question I would ask is "What have you got to win by going?"

    It seems from your post that you feel kind of lost and disillusioned with the working world, and you enjoy school. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I think a lot of people attend grad school for similar reasons, but much of the time it's just a delay tactic. In two years or so, you will be back in the same place with a very expensive degree. If on the other hand you aspire to a career in academia or you want a professional degree, then grad school is not only a wise choice but a necessary one.


    I know that my personal experiences and those of other people in my particular academic discipline are not applicable to everyone. But the point to take from it is that when you decide to go to grad school, think about what your discipline is and whether that degree will be an asset to you. If money is not a concern for you, then by all means education is a worthy pursuit. But that's not the case for the vast majority of people considering grad school, and you may wind up in a couple of years saddled with debt and no better outlook than you do now.

    Good luck
    Excellent post.

    Be sure you're not just going to school to escape. There are other escapes. And, if you do go, make sure it's worth it. There are loads of unsatisfied grad students and post-grads who wish they'd thought it through before diving in.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I totally intended to go to grad school while I was in college, but my parents encouraged me to just graduate after my bachelors degrees and get a job. I've done that and I really feel kind of incredibly trapped... cornered by life in a way.
    I went to grad school.
    I now feel incredibly trapped, more so than if I'd foregone grad school.
    Peel off the napkin
    O my enemy.
    Do I terrify?

Similar Threads

  1. Should I Go Back to School?
    By Turtledove in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-26-2012, 12:07 PM
  2. should I go to church tonight or not?
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
  3. applying to grad school after being out of college
    By FaithBW in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 02:30 AM
  4. A hundred years should go to praise...
    By The Grand Chameleon in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 10:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO