User Tag List

12 Last

Default What language learning software do you recommend?

Hi!

Has anyone here used a software package to learn a foreign language? And if you have, do you have a recommendation? I have seen excellent reviews for both Rosetta Stone and Tell Me More software, but I haven't had the chance to speak to anyone personally who has used them.

If anyone has advice about those two brands or any other software you have used, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ----

my mum and dad taught me to speak english australian. they might teach you if you pay them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Socionics
    xNTj

I'm using Pimsleur. It's basically a language tape. It has 3 levels, each with 30 tracks that each last for 30 minutes. Once you finished the tapes, then get VocabuLearn. It's similar to the Pimsleur but instead expands your vocabulary. I only have little experience with Rosetta, but I recommend Pimsleur over it.

I should remind you that you'll need motivation. A lot of people found Pimsleur too boring to stay focused to, but I personally never had that problem. Note that Pimsleur alone will not be enough. So I advise searching and reading for grammar lessons/explanations online while your at it. I'm learning a HELL lot by doing so without compromising too much of my work/play time.

MBTI
    INTJ

My personal favorite is Michel Thomas. It's all audio, works well, and builds a strong grammatical base while teaching methods to expand vocabulary dramatically. If you really want to learn a language, go with something like this or pimsleur. If you just want some vocabulary to impress friends and mess around with, go with Rosetta stone. It teaches a lot of vocabulary without giving a strong understanding of the language. ...imo, of course.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ultimawepun View Post
    I'm using Pimsleur. It's basically a language tape. It has 3 levels, each with 30 tracks that each last for 30 minutes. Once you finished the tapes, then get VocabuLearn. It's similar to the Pimsleur but instead expands your vocabulary. I only have little experience with Rosetta, but I recommend Pimsleur over it.

I should remind you that you'll need motivation. A lot of people found Pimsleur too boring to stay focused to, but I personally never had that problem. Note that Pimsleur alone will not be enough. So I advise searching and reading for grammar lessons/explanations online while your at it. I'm learning a HELL lot by doing so without compromising too much of my work/play time.
    Yeah, I like combining Pimsleur with a grammar overview book (a strictly technical one) and a vocabulary workbook (plus online vocab resources and programs like Anki.) It's also good to find a newspaper or other basic reading material in the language to practice translating.

Pimsleur is good because the repetition is just enough (and spaced out just right) that you easily remember vocabulary and it makes it easier to transfer knowledge of the syntax into speaking practice.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Must be Rosetta Stone, because I've seen that commercial so many times I could recite it verbatim.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

MBTI
    INTP

I have researched this quite a bit and even though people find Rosetta Stone fun, it does not work as effectively as Pimsleur.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I came upon Pimsleur in my research, but it received poor reviews and I had sort of eliminated it. You guys have made me reconsider.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

from everyone ive known, they find rosetta stone waaaaaaaaay better than Pimsleur for learning as fast as possible, and with the greatest ease, then they use other systems/classes, which are more difficult/boring to expand their knowledge of the language... basically, they state Rosetta stone helps them build the best foundation of useful language skill, and the other stuff adds to it... All I have ever used is Rosetta stone, so Its the only one I personally know of...
    You are not powerless, you just need to accept your power for what it is, a part of the whole, no one man can save the world, but you can be a light to those who envelope themselves in darkness, The candle that sparks the inferno.

I've never used any language learning software. Actually, that's a lie, I did use some in the nineties. I used books for the most part. Anything where you build a grammar and vocabulary base and are put in situations to use it would work I think.

I still like books. Rosetta Stone looks like fun on TV.