User Tag List

123 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Does where you sit in class correlate with your grade?

(I think this is aimed more at college since high schools often have assigned seats and much smaller classrooms)

Ran across this old blog article, some of you may have seen it before: http://wonderingpondering.wordpress....ality-profile/

Basically a prof got his/her students to sign into their seats all year, and correlated their GPA with their seating location. Kinda cool, although it's only one class of course.

So where did you usually sit in class? What was your GPA? did where you sit in class correlate with classes you did better or worse in?

-----------------------------------------------

For me: my preferred spot in undergrad classes I liked/wanted to pay attention in was between 1/3 and 2/3 of the way back, in the middle next to an aisle seat or if I was "not early" which was often, on the sides of the room. In classes that didn't require me to pay attention (I guess I was going in the hopes that something would sink through my brain anyway ) I'd be either in the very back row so nobody could see my computer screen, or in a very large class, about 2/3 of the way back so I can still see the board, but on the side of the room.

Grad classes are a lot smaller. Here I usually sit in the back row, if I can.

The classes I did worst in were biochem and microbiology, and I don't think I sat differently in those classes, except for skipping at least 1/2 the classes for each. The most relevant factor was how interesting the class was.

edit: oh and I graduated with the GPA equivalent of A- overall, with classes ranging from C to A+, mostly just a few low classes destroying my GPA (An A+ gets you 10/10 towards your GPA...a C gets you a 4/10, so it ruins the average).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

yes, it's hard to concentrate when your frind plays a godlike joke on someone in class and godlike jobs are best played from the back.

I did better in classes I sat in 1st row, but I never sat down in 1st row by my own choosing
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Obviously..
    If it's obvious, what is the correlation that you see?

How is the correlation changed by social groups, if at all?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

H meant "obviously" judging by my writing style. He's a mean man
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i usually sit in the middle/back and i'm not a good or very attentive student

one of my high school teachers actually made assigned seating based on your grade in the class, and put the good grades in the front and bad in the back. i'd think doing the opposite would be more productive but i guess she wanted her favorites up near her.

MBTI
    yupp

first day of class I walk into the room and I know which is my seat, and of course if someone takes it the next time i hope the chair collapses under their weight and sit somewhere else.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

It depended on:

-Subject: interest level + difficulty
    -Teaching method
    -Time of day
    -Classroom "feel": social dynamics, class size, and seating arrangement.

I would say that I average nearer to the right off-center of the class (facing the instructor) and ~3 rows back.

Considerations:
    -I'm distractable.
    -I don't do well in the early morning.
    -I can't take notes, and retain more when I just sit and listen (applies to lecture only classes).
    -I'm atrocious at math.

*Generally, the more comfortable I was with the subject and the method, the farther back in the class you would find me.

In the case of an especially difficult, boring, math, early morning, purely lecture-based, or very large class, I needed to sit nearer to the front and slightly off center. It made me feel more accountable, reduced distractions/promoted attentiveness, and lastly, I felt "included." Whether I actively contributed or not, just being in proximity to the teacher as s/he spoke, and making occasional eye contact, helped.

I was doing very well before I dropped out.

*This is barring discussion-based classes in subjects I found interesting. You'd find me nearer to the front so I could contribute to the discussion without having to yell across the room.

I would say that it WOULD HAVE correlated to grade for me, but because I knew where to sit/what I needed and what I wanted (a good grade!) from the start, I was able to get the most out of each class by adapting my placement accordingly. The grade was the controlled variable - not the seating position. This would've been different had I not known.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I generally sat around the 3rd row (out of 8-10). During the last year of my masters, the classes I took were composed by just 3 students, so obviously I was forced to sit on the 1st row. My GPA in US terms is around 3.8.
    Even if I'm an N type, I'm not very distractable in class. In fact, I actually love learning through lectures, much more than reading a book (my E score is generally between 90 and 100). Even more weirdly, I'm an early bird, thus I strongly prefer early morning classes (around 8:30 AM).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned

Maybe.

Where I sit in class depends on a lot of things. So I guess the question is "do these things that affect where I sit in class also affect my gpa?" and I would say so...everything affects everything.

I haven't gone to my Econ 101 class in over two weeks now. I just don't see a point in going to class and wasting 3 hours + all the study time I'd need to actually grasp the material when I can just skip the class..read the material and understand it.

Classes that have professors that will actually help me understand the material..I'll usually sit in the front 1/4 of the class...somewhere in the middle. Discussion classes..at the very back..again in the middle. (These are by far my favorite.) Classes that I think are a waste of time and I'm only doing it just because it needs to get done...somewhere off to the sides..preferably near the door...if I even show up.

I probably tend to average in the middle with respect to "width". "Length" is more polarized..I'm usually in the first 1/4 or the last 1/4.

And my GPA is above average (average being something like 3.0 here) but far from where I want it to be. I really should get on that actually...(which is funny seeing as I missed two classes today..have a homework assignment due in 3 hours that I haven't even touched and I'm currently "wasting" time online.)

Yes, my academic life right now is a mess.