User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 33

  1. #21
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Ya, we probably have different things we can do. I envy people who know exactly what they will become later and are working for it concretly. I can imagine doing so many things and my motivations changes so often that it is near impossible for me to decide
    Strangely enough, I've come to an open-ended conclusion. What you want in life at one time, may differ later once it's attained. But is that so bad if you plot an original trajectory that ends up providing a solid and safe platform for you to vault off and possibly fall back on if your new goal(s) doesn't work out? That's kind of what a degree provides you with, as long as you're willing to explore the potential that comes from it since it helps to level the playing field.

  2. #22
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    "dropping out" looks very bad on a resume not to mention a probation report and thats enough reason alone to stick it out. High school graduation is one of those things that you really don't get any koodos for if you have it but rather carry a scarlet letter for not completing.

    Then again high school sucks and I don't blame you for wanting to get out. Perhaps a continuation or alternative high school that will allow you to attend junior college for class credit. Think creative, see if you can do "independent study" like getting physical education credits for "walking" or bike riding to various destinations you were going to walk/bike to anyways.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  3. #23
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,028

    Default

    spamtar, GZA repetitively mentions university. Where did high school come from? Is GZA in high school?

  4. #24
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    spamtar, GZA repetitively mentions university. Where did high school come from? Is GZA in high school?
    Oops he he yeah you got me. I enjoyed college but that might be because I had the memory of hard labor, low pay and no sight of real advancement as a backdrop. High school on the other hand...makes me see segues to bitch and avoid where there are none.

    Regardless the paradeigma still fits. Find a college that allows a flexible curriculum that will allow a student to take in large part internships and independent study (i.e. paid work) for credit toward a degree.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  5. #25
    Senior Member man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    IntP
    Enneagram
    =)
    Socionics
    =)
    Posts
    331

    Default

    u should drop out

    more jobs 4 me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #26
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    spamtar, GZA repetitively mentions university. Where did high school come from? Is GZA in high school?
    I'm in my second year of university. I also said that I wasn't actually considering dropping out particularly seriously because I do believe it is good long term. I was just interested in hearing people other than my parents discuss why it is a bad idea.

    I'm actually in the progress of changing programs to begin studying something I think I will be more engaged and successful in. I don't like what I'm doing right now but I know dropping out is not the answer. I may take a year off to work or something just to clear my head, but I definitely have no actual intention of dropping out. I just need to get it over with!

    I think there is no point in not getting a degree because four years really isn't that long in the long run, and it is so obviously a good investment. Unless you take a lot of time off before or during school, you will still be very young when you graduate, and there is lots of time to do all the other things you want to do. I suppose some people would rather take some time off to do what they want before they begin university for the simple reason they just want to get out school for a bit and enjoy life without worrying about grades and assignments.

  7. #27
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post

    I'm actually in the progress of changing programs to begin studying something I think I will be more engaged and successful in.
    This is a great idea. Hopefully a lot of your credits can transfer over.
    -end of thread-

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Just for arguments sake, why shouldn't I drop out of school?

    And, how has a university education benefitted you?
    I've never finished school. I always wanted to created my company, and I kinda understood early that the "school system" were preparing people to be "employees-consumers" and not "bosses".

    Ive tried everything "intpish" or everything that was supposed to get me big money : accounting, computer science, law and a lot of others... all boring at a point. And I always had a problem with authority and being dependent, like most intps I guess.


    If you drop of school, you better be prepared to go into "deep shit" zones.
    I've been to those. But my case is special, I was in "entrepreneur mode" and since then I'm with people with the same mindset.

    I did everything to make it work. Now it's done. 3/4 of my "graduated" pals (who thought I was gonna be a homeless rat) are unemployed and are sending hundreds of CVs everyday to get nothing.
    Me, I live where I want, have a decent amount of money to live, and my biz is going well. Dropping of school was honestly the best thing I did in my life (but I always knew that I wasnt gonna do it til the end anyway)

    But all the people I know who did dropped out school, are not doing well, they are now hippies, making babies to have welfare checks, dealing drugs or have "immigrant"-like jobs.

    So I wouldnt recommend it to you. Get a good and secure degree (like medicine, even if its hard), its not a time for doing a degree "because you like the major". Dont let greedy teachers fool you, they want your money for their department, they dont give a damn about you getting a job.

    If you like a subject or have a passion, you'll have all the time later to do it, on your weekends or whenever.


    The competition is gonna be hardcore in the Western world the next 10-20years. If you do a degree that aint secure, be prepared to compete against hundreds/thousands people for one job. And being a white male may help you too.

    Good luck.



    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    all I know is in life I want to make enough money to travel and to live comfortably. It be awesome if I get a job where I get to travel all over the world. But my first step is to graduate college, get an internship which will hopefully lead to an entry level position in the cultural studies field, than work my way up from their
    I was like you, I always loved to travel, and now I can do it freely.
    If I'm honest, I don't think there'll be a lot of internships in "cultural studies". I did some anthropology/ethnology classes because I wanted to travel the world too. But my teachers/former graduates brought me to reality : your "travels will be mostly in libraries".

    If you love to travel, you can do it on holidays, you don't have to have a "travel-the-world job" to do it. And people having these jobs are very rare, mostly journalists, flight attendants, rare travel industry people, model/entertainment people, writers, and some special business people.

    If you're your own boss like me, you can do it. But its a long way to go...



    (that was a long post, daMn! )

  9. #29
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Strangely enough, I've come to an open-ended conclusion. What you want in life at one time, may differ later once it's attained. But is that so bad if you plot an original trajectory that ends up providing a solid and safe platform for you to vault off and possibly fall back on if your new goal(s) doesn't work out? That's kind of what a degree provides you with, as long as you're willing to explore the potential that comes from it since it helps to level the playing field.
    True, I do that exactly. Always working with a safety net aswell while reaching for the stars .

    I think I am only disappointed by the ability of some people to have no relation to reality. Most often those are these people who can do the work for the best grades. They lately started a new Master degree for technical sales at my University. Minium entry grade per average is 2,0. Noone came rofl, as if sales people would have good grades Idiots...
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  10. #30
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redScorpion View Post
    I've never finished school. I always wanted to created my company, and I kinda understood early that the "school system" were preparing people to be "employees-consumers" and not "bosses".
    That's not true. A large amount of people that have started extremely successful companies hold degrees (it's a trite example, but may I say Google?). If you don't buy everything the teachers / professors say, you can remain intellectually unadulterated and gain expertise / insight.

    If I'm honest, I don't think there'll be a lot of internships in "cultural studies". I did some anthropology/ethnology classes because I wanted to travel the world too. But my teachers/former graduates brought me to reality : your "travels will be mostly in libraries".
    Yeah, that's the problem with most jobs that require / are based on travelling: you're going to spend almost all your traveling time sitting through boring meetings and/or working as hard and as quickly as you can (since sending someone abroad is always very costly).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Similar Threads

  1. Thinking about dropping out of college
    By decrescendo in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 10:59 PM
  2. I've been out of school for a while...
    By swordpath in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
  3. applying to grad school after being out of college
    By FaithBW in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 02:30 AM
  4. Out of Africa
    By wildcat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 01:43 PM
  5. So Paris is out of jail...
    By The Ü™ in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO