• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Buddist theory of Work

eternal recurrence

MBTI Type
iNfj
I know that there are principles like compassion, honesty, mindfulness etc. that should guide one in work like life, but I wonder if there are more expanded thoughts coming from Buddism on Work (e.g. regarding types of jobs).

Heres a sort of question that I have: If honesty and compassion are core principles - wouldn't buddists find it hard to be salesperson in a field which sell things people dont actually need?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Heres a sort of question that I have: If honesty and compassion are core principles - wouldn't buddists find it hard to be salesperson in a field which sell things people dont actually need?

Yeah, that could be. Not all selling is cold-calling or deceptive. If you're in a position where customers seek you out and you are doing your best to help them select a product that they want, I think that would be in line with Buddhist beliefs. But if you're selling poor quality product that you know people don't need, you'd either have to modify your beliefs or modify your sales tactics.

So I'd guess that it's possible to do "dishonest" work honestly if you are willing to make some sacrifices (in terms of, for instance, not making as much money because you refuse to twist the truth to make a sale). I think one of the Buddhist teachings is "Right Intention", so as long as you don't deceive yourself you should be able to make ethical decisions while working.

Of course there are ethical implications to doing all kinds of work, so one can either do one's best to work within the system, or move to the woods :p

wolfy

awsm
Right intentions, I think that is right too. I've gone through a lot of thinking making sure what I do at work fits in holistically with everything else. I think the business author Marshall Goldsmith is Buddhist. I think he has some articles floating around about that.