• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wisdom please! Taking a job and life...

eternal recurrence

MBTI Type
iNfj
Should I take a job I worry that is not suited for me for security/stability/money reasons?

That is it involves significant travel, is for an outgoing person, and is demanding time-wise. Lets say an ENFJ or ENTJ sort-of-job.

Whereas I feel like I am more the 'community garden organizer hippie manager -type' you could say.

I could do the job - i know that - but its not how i imagine my life to be Should I commit to a long-term position knowing i think/feel/suspect it is not ideal for me. My philosophy has usually been to go for what I ideally wish for rather than settle out of fear.

I need some wisdom on this one...

P

Phantonym

I think you might have already answered your question for yourself -

I could do the job - i know that - but its not how i imagine my life to be Should I commit to a long-term position knowing i think/feel/suspect it is not ideal for me. My philosophy has usually been to go for what I ideally wish for rather than settle out of fear.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Should I take a job I worry that is not suited for me for security/stability/money reasons?

That is it involves significant travel, is for an outgoing person, and is demanding time-wise. Lets say an ENFJ or ENTJ sort-of-job.

Whereas I feel like I am more the 'community garden organizer hippie manager -type' you could say.

I need some wisdom on this one...

Only if you feel that you don't have any other choice.

If you can find a short-term position from which you can pursue your ideal long-term position, take that one instead. But if you have no other opportunities, and don't believe that you will any time soon, then of course you should take it... it's better than nothing.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
do you have to sign a contract or can you quit at any time? Are your employment opportunities limited at the moment and it's your best choice overall?

you certainly don't seem ready to commit "long-term", whatever that is. A year? more?

I think there's a lot of benefit (early in your career especially) to trying a wide range of jobs in the short-term, though, even if you don't think you'll enjoy them.

eternal recurrence

MBTI Type
iNfj
right now i have my opinion but not my decision. the job would need a 3 year commitment.

it was good to vent here and thanks for the thoughts.

we'll see :shock:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
can you "job shadow" a bit or talk to the person who currently owns the job for advice?