• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Professional Persona vs. Real Persona

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Do any of you have a "work personality"? A behavior that you use exclusively at work/the corporate world?

I do. Instead of being perverted and spastic - I'm quite, solemn, and boring. Shy, not open to new experiences, and OVERLY POLITE AND FORMAL. ((I hate my workself...:steam:))

What is yours like?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No, not at all...I hate changing personality.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My work personality is at its core paranoid defensiveness cloaked in genial aloofness and mercurial effectiveness and productivity with a tinge of contrarianism. Mostly the higher ups try hard to not interact with me, I may as well show up everyday in a pink suit with polka dot cutouts.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do any of you have a "work personality"? A behavior that you use exclusively at work/the corporate world?

I do. Instead of being perverted and spastic - I'm quite, solemn, and boring. Shy, not open to new experiences, and OVERLY POLITE AND FORMAL. ((I hate my workself...:steam:))

What is yours like?

I am so glad you posted this. Heres why. I am pretty convinced I'm an ENFP. But certain stereotypes have made me doubt it time and time again. One of these being that E's will usually present the same face at work as they do in their private life, where as I's are more likely to have two different faces. Supposedly this is because it is difficult for a E to hinder or hide their true selves for long. When I have worked in a very cool environment and developed close friendships with my co workers, my goofball self totally comes out. I really enjoy these jobs. But I have also worked for big corp whore financial companies, with lots of fake people looking to ladder climb and throw you under the bus. In these situations I tended to lay low, off the radar, remain overly professional, and only seek and connect with other people that are sincere and good intentioned, sometimes being viewed as an "elitist." hahah. assholes.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I aim to be myself at work but I try calm down a bit at work, emotionally and the thought process. So, I'm a bit more lame at work than otherwise.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Both my professional and real personas are reserved but in a friendly sort of way. Both personas are flexible and curious. At work, I'm more poised and less likely to allow my vulnerabilities to show. I can't indulge in introspection much at work as I have to be receptive to the customers. I'm more self-disciplined at work than at home but I think that's true for a lot of people.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Feeling like I couldn't act the same at work as I did outside of it was one of the big indicators that I wasn't doing what I needed to be doing career-wise, in the past.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm pretty different at work than I am at home, actually. At home / with friends I'm quiet, calm, introspective, and shy-friendly. At work, I can't be. I'm always under quite a bit of stress at work, and am forced to be decisive, procedural (I still fight that tooth and nail, as much as I can without risking losing my job) and take charge in most conversations that I'm involved in. I won't say that it's not good for me to do a bit of that... but I think that the forced behavior thing has a pretty large effect on my job stress.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hmmmm I'm mostly the same regardless of where I am at so long as I'm in "work" (I need to be productive) mode. There are times I come off as being overly intense or analytical because that's who I am when I'm in the zone. Comes play time, I can be pretty silly. Within reason when I'm with my co-workers of course.

It's also helps that the places I've worked at are pretty casual... I don't need to force myself to be a certain way when I'm in the office. :)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I will speak more freely about personal matters outside of work, with close friends. Other than that, my professional and personal personas are very similar. I find it very hard to be something other than the real me.