• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Money

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
is over rated.

So much of our time is spent with people we don't like for money (aka a job).

And our loved ones get the left overs (aka when you get home/the weekend/holidays).

I hate this cycle.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I like work. It keeps me busy and focused on a goal. Balances my life. Pays my bills and gives me money to play with.

Becoming a nasty person because of a hatred for your job and colleagues should be avoided, however.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
I like work. It keeps me busy and focused on a goal. Balances my life. Pays my bills and gives me money to play with.

Becoming a nasty person because of a hatred for your job and colleagues should be avoided, however.

Good point.

I don't hate my job... I hate having to work to live.

I want to be free.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
40 hours a week is less than 1/4th of your life. Look on the bright side!

There are so many people that work double that just to eat.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
40 hours a week is less than 1/4th of your life. Look on the bright side!

There are so many people that work double that just to eat.

The first fact: When you factor in sleep (50%+) with work (25%+)... you get only 25% of your life to live... truly live...

Second fact: Breaks my heart. And sometimes, they don't even eat enough.

Big picture: is depressing.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
So you work an hour for every hour you play. Have you ever known people that don't work? They're not very well-rounded.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
You might be able to do something about it. Like you could get a job where you work at home or start a family business. Then you would be able to spend time more time with your family. Or you might find more work satisfaction if you found a job that contributed to society in some way that you really believe in. There are ways to improve the situation. :)

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Sometimes work sucks. But being homeless or starving to death sucks more. I prefer work.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
Some people are lucky enough to find a labour of love and the rest of us have to work. You can work less if you are willing to do things like
-Get off the grid (generate your own electricity/heat etc)
-Say no to modern conveniences and entertainment (TV, phone, car, cable, insurance, eating out, consumer goods, fashion etc)
-Find a cheap living situation or be homeless
-Welfare/food stamps?
-Marry Rich
-Win the lottery
-Stowaway to an abandoned tropical island...but you still have to hunt/gather etc. but it has meaning and purpose. Most jobs disconnect all that.

The system is designed to make you work and debt is slavery. Those who "create" the money profit the most, while adding the least production and value.

I agree on your 25% of life disappointment and always want more ME time and wish I had work/career/my own business that I enjoy. Someday I will figure it out.

Just imagine what it was like when people worked as children for 12 hrs a day 6 days a week in sweat factories and coal mines, before labor laws or the suffering during the great depression. We are still pretty lucky to have what we have if you compare. I do wish we had Europe's liberal vacation policies though. Some people even like menial jobs. I admire and respect that in some ways. Most of us are conditioned to want more more more and end up unhappy.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's always home invasions and pawnshops. :coffee:

Unless pawnbrokers quit working.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
It's all opinions. Take a shot.
What we are "meant" to do is irrelevant. What is relevant is that you require food and shelter to survive. The most efficient way of obtaining food and shelter is to get a job that pays you money so you can buy them. There are other ways to obtain food and shelter, but they are more difficult for most people. You are free to take another path if it suits you. If you should feel anything, you should feel fortunate that you live in a time and in a society where survival is not a daily struggle.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Working is fine if done as to provide the means to some type of end, whatever it may be, but some people get so caught up in the concept of simply working and earning money, that they eventually lose sight of what the purpose for doing this actually is. I'm personally of the belief that I should work only as hard as necessary as to sustain myself in whatever fashion I deem appropriate, with anything else clouding me of the my end, which is maximizing the amount of time left over for using as I see fit. Money aids in establishing a false sense of security, and is generally used to distract us with nothing more than temporal pleasures.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Work is essential. No one ever has food on their table that wasn't brought it by means other than work. Someone has to work to get it.