User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Money

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The best answer I can give for those of you who hate your jobs is this:

I'm glad I decided to pursue what I wanted to do.

MBTI
    ISTx

I've never had, nor will ever have the focus of my career to be for the sole purpose of money. I want to enjoy what I do. As long as I can get by comfortably, financially speaking, then I'm good.

MBTI
    XXFP

This is fun listening, if nothing else:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...ntion-of-money

(click play episode on the page)

The story about Brazil is wonderful.

Money allows me to exchange labor for things I want. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, really, but everyone else believes in it, so it's easier than barter.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

There's always welfare....or being homeless.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    There's always welfare....or being homeless.
    I've turbo-charged my shopping cart and use durable vinyl garbage bags. 'Tis the life!

Quote Originally Posted by chachamaru View Post
    are we meant to work?
    How else do we get food and shelter like humans have done so for the past thousands and thousands of years... if a bit differently.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm not sure. Right now, I'm self-employed, and I don't feel dreadful when I think about work, mostly because I can set my own schedule and I don't have to play political games in order to get things done. All that matters is my performance / quality of work. On the other hand, it's obviously not as financially stable, so I need to save a relatively big cushion of money; moreoever, sometimes clients might pay you after 50, 60 days...
    Anyway, I did feel somewhat dreadful when I had to work in a more scheduled fashion, especially because I'm very much a morning-day person, thus working from 9 to 5 didn't leave me much time to go out during the day, especially in wintertime. Now I actually work more hours per week (since I also work during the weekends, if I'm not travelling and-or doing something special), yet I can start at say 6:30 AM, go on until 1 PM, go out and exercise / read / whatever, then get back to working at 4 PM.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ that sounds pretty excellent. i'm a day person too, hate being trapped inside during all that sunshine.

i'm unemployed and a student atm. and i have to say, being employed sucks, but i think being unemployed sucks worse. i've built up enough savings that i don't have to work right now, but i do feel pretty useless. at least work is moderately entertaining most of the time (though i did have one soul-sucking job that was much worse than being unemployed).

MBTI
    INTP

You can live without money, but you still have to work. Nothing in life is free, and the trade off for modern living is that you must work for it. You could live off the land, but that requires work. You could generate your own energy but that also requires work. By working for society in exchange for money, you have these things provided for you, at a cost. Only you can decide if the trade off is worth it.

Look at humans societal evolution: we went from being hunter gatherers, to people who stayed in one spot and farmed, to people who introduced precious metals (the first money) to the barter system. Once that took hold, we weren't all required to work for our own food anymore - we could exchange goods and services for those we needed. That is still the basic system in place today. Humans have always worked in some sense for their requirements, as do all creatures. Nothing in life is free.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Work sucks, if it invades on my basic living needs such as sleep, and eating, or if I develop irreversible health problems from it.

Other than that, I can't say it's all too bad. I just know I wouldn't be a very good coal-miner, or be able to go back to my old job. Also consider that it's not very good for other people who do it either, but the job still needs to be done, so someone's gotta do it. And a lot of people do jobs like that.