User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Question Help me figure out how to switch careers!

I want to find a new job... I want to do something more helpful to society and which allows me a bit more free time (I work about 11 hours a day currently )... however, I have no job experience in anything of the sort and I don't know how to spin my resume that way or where to look

I'm taking a wild guess that some members of this site are a bit less clueless than I am and will be nice enough to give me a few pointers... please?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Why not peel back your current hours and use the time to volunteer to fund raise for charities? This way, you can network and potentially connect with individuals who might know of a reasonable paying job (enough to support you at least) within the charitable organisation sector.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I can't cut back on hours... it's required that I work those hours to keep my job
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It might be more helpful if you could tell us what specific jobs you're looking for. If you are not looking for a specific kind of job per se, are there specific characteristics that you feel are 'must haves' in your job? Conversely, what things in a job do you not definitely not want to have?

A lot of it boils down to personality. What could be the perfect job for one person can be a total nightmare for another. Someone with strong extraversion might love a job where they get to interact with people all day while someone with strong introversion might consider that torture.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Many employers support preferred charities. When this happens, they're sometimes willing to back off loading on work to employees who do provide volunteer services to their charities, particularly if you're in sales and they believe your ability to network might benefit the company in some way like potential new clients.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Do you like sales? If so...I'd say look into working for a company that works for charities. I used to work for a company like that as a Team Leader and a Coach.

What they do is send their employees out on street corners and even to the houses of people and try and raise sympathy for a cause, and sign people up to become members of a certain charity (it helps to do it for one that you very much believe in), as well as contribute a certain sum a month to that charity, providing said charity with the means as well as the political pressure through votes to further their cause. It's an American concept, so it should exist over there as well, and my company worked for the great charities such as WWF, Oxfam, Amnesty International and so on.

My ex-boss was an ISTP and I've first hand noticed that STPs, especially those going all out for the greater good, are a force to be reckoned with as well as made for that job. Often there's a very high turn over and you can easily make promotion to the point of running your own department eventually if you prove to be good as well as reliable and a good motivator for your team members.

It doesn't earn the big bucks, especially at ground level, and it's a lot of hard work, with often unreliable hours, but it can be very fulfilling
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I have a degree in sociology and speak spanish... I'd like to be able to do something with that. And I'd like a job where I can go home at the end of the night feeling that I've done something productive and GOOD for humanity over the course of the day I guess

I don't mind working with people, I just don't feel like I'm much of a productive member of society selling things for a living... I'm not too fond of the corporate world and would prefer to trade in my suit jackets for sweaters

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Take an interpreters course and get sworn in at your local courthouse to be an interpreter. Realize you'll witness a lot of human misery and get called at odd hours to translate. It can be immensely rewarding to help those people out though.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

This isn't too specific, but there are big sections [ok, not THAT big] in bookstores on "careers", with topics like "finding the right career for you", "best 100 medical jobs" "how to get a government job" etc. "What color is your parachute" is extremely well-known. There are also MBTI-based career books [ie ISFP's often enjoy working in the following positions..."] such as "whats my type of career" and "do what you are."

I was in that section of a local B&N on Fri night, and it was probably two-shelves wide.

I like the idea of doing what comes naturally to you.. following your strengths. What are you good at? To give a bit of background, I thought that my 'talents' were not really job conducive.. I got this book: http://www.strengthsfinder.com/home.aspx... Took the test and still felt that my 'talents' were absurd. But it turns out they weren't and I am an asset to my company, and I love my career path..

I also look at lots of resumes, I can help you out if you want me to. What is something you'd want to do even if it seems silly? I mean, nothing like riding on unicorns while spitting fire, that's just not real life.. but something you'd think was satisfying?
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau