• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need to pick your brains..

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm..to write an article on a subject that I'm knowledgeable about. And I'm spacing. I'm kinda a jack of all trades mostly and don't really feel up to the challenge I guess. Worse even..if this goes well, I could be stuck with that topic for a very long time, so I can't really fake the knowledgeable part or go on a whim.

Aside from that, I have no clue what people really find interesting to read and what they consider boring and 'it's been done'...so I was kinda hoping to pick your brains as a potential audience.

If you knew I was the author..what topic would you want to read about and why?

Help a girl out and be my muse? :blush:

G

Glycerine

What are you truly passionate about while at the same time very knowledgeable about? What about something that can be very applicable to most people (those seem to be the topics that many find interesting)? Ex. family, relationships, mental illness, death, the rise of technology, cooking, music, art, the economy, pets, maybe even style, health/environment, etc.I think to get a large audience, one has to somehow ENGAGE them on a personal level but even then there's a fine line. A balance between interesting writing w/ a personal touch and writing that is too inspirational and sob storyish. If a particular topic seems trite, then you could use an insider's perspective or spin it in a different angle. Sorry for being so vague.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Chili Pepper: How Global Trade Can Be Culinarily Tracked :yes:

sorry... it's a topic that fascinates ME! :blush:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
You can pick your brain, you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friends' brains.

:p

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Satine: who is your audience for this article? Is it part of an interview/application process (you mention it leading to being "stuck" with the topic for awhile)? How long is the article supposed to be, and what type of article is it (instructional, entertaining, review, etc.).

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@ coriolis It's an experiment, so I'm rather free in all those parameters. The audience needs to be pretty broad, but to be able to compete, I'd have to go for a niche subject.

@OMT :alttongue: work with me here *pouts*

@Whatever: so start writing!!! :D :D :D

@Pitseleh: thanks, I did think of that, but it's good to see that reminder

@Arclight: Yeah...the stories you could write about this place..it has a certain appeal :devil:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Why not write about how our society tends to undervalue emotions, talk about how people could be more attentive and responsive to their own and other's feelings, and suggest ways that social structures could be changed to accommodate this?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Goddess archetypes, relationships, sexuality and personality. :yes:

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
This is a rags-to-riches story with an emphasis on fallibility and how people are never totally honest. The story is about a pretender who is married to an athletic leader. It takes place in a small nation in a commonwealth. The issue of abortion plays a major role in the story.

rav3n

Satine, have you considered some sociological topic? You're quite good at pegging people.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here's what I'd read about: Anything about explaining why we are who we are (or were the way we were). That could be psychology, neurology, history, sociology, political science, even music and culture. But since I'm kind of a jack-of-all trades too (hooray for geeky Ne! :laugh: ), that's really the only common theme in my interests. Unless you include random cool things. I love those!!! :wub:

So speaking of that type of thing (e.g. Qre:us and whatever's ideas), I was just reading an article about pepperoni. It's really, really interesting! And totally not Italian. Maybe you could write about food that people in America think is foreign, but was actually created by foreigners FOR Americans. (this would also include nachos.)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would look first for uniqueness -- what is something that you could write convincingly about but most people couldn't? Then, if necessary broaden it into a topic you could work with for awhile, if that is the possibility. It often makes a good article with general appeal if you can take something that seems esoteric, off the wall, out in left field, and ultimately relate it to something most people understand or are familiar with. This broadens their horizons, but in an entertaining and non-threatening way. (Sorry this is so vague, but without more to work with, I can only offer possible yardsticks you can use to evaluate options.)