User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Doesn't the title of this thread have a grammar mistake?

"College: And The Future of Spelling and Grammar"

Either the colon is unnecessary or the first "And" is superfluous.
    WhatHeSaid.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Hah. I'm in Grad school, and I had a Chem lab professor inform the students today that if he sees one more person spell "Separation Funnel" As "Seperation" in their lab notebook, he's docking points. Apparently nearly 50% of the students cannot spell separation. Spelling =/= intelligence.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Hah. I'm in Grad school, and I had a Chem lab professor inform the students today that if he sees one more person spell "Separation Funnel" As "Seperation" in their lab notebook, he's docking points. Apparently nearly 50% of the students cannot spell separation.
    I like your professor.

Me haz dun sum grammer & spelling in skool butt the Internetz & texting runed me.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Is it because the younger generations have been taught to value the message over the form? Is it due to excessive reliance on electronic aids?
    Is the change in college experiences due to the huge increase in the number accepted to enrol in college classes?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ok I'm not sure of your type OP, but I've seen a lot of this from INFJs, especially. I majored in English Literature and maintained a 3.9 GPA, belonged to several honor societies, and minored in French. However, I really am not a grammar maven. I value content over form.

I am disturbed when people are so ignorant that their writing is illegible or apparently illiterate (excepting cases of people who have a different mother tongue, particularly when that mother tongue utilizes a different alphabet) but I consider Southern dialect and Internet speak valid forms of language.

I'm not offended by the degredation of language in chat rooms or even what is spoken by lolcats because those are simply dialects, and all languages have various dialects. Languages also tend to change form, shape, and spelling over time.

Have you taken the history of the English language? Did you know we share a common ancestor with Slavic languages? It's absolutely mind boggling. If you go past middle English to old English it's shocking, let alone tracing our linguistic roots to parts of Iran and Russia.

Anyway, sure, it sucks when people are completely ignorant of how to properly use their own language in the written form. However, remember it's just your skill set, and the people who don't know how to properly use "your" and "you're" might excel at maths.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Is it because the younger generations have been taught to value the message over the form? Is it due to excessive reliance on electronic aids?
    Is the change in college experiences due to the huge increase in the number accepted to enrol in college classes?
    You left an l out of "enroll."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    WhatHeSaid.
    Yeah, the title is hilarious. Its combination of bad form and pretentiousness are of failblog proportions.

MBTI
    xxxx
    Enneagram
    -
    Socionics
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah, the title is hilarious. Its combination of bad form and pretentiousness are of failblog proportions.
    It was somewhat intentionally overdramatic.
    Living is never a waste of time.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Grammatical errors can be ignored, for the most part, when they don't interfere with the meaning of the sentence (e.g., misused commas, typos, some spelling errors if they're not too egregious.) Confusions of their/there/they're or your/you're, however, inevitably interfere with meaning. That a set of differently-spelled words are homophones does not give one leave to use them interchangeably. For instance, the sentence - "I am allowed to go to school now" - makes no sense if the homophone is used - "I am aloud to go to school now." Is it really too much to expect that people who call themselves literate be capable of properly expressing what they MEAN in writing?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness