• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Advice Needed

IntrovertedThinker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hey guys. I'm currently finishing up for my associates degree. I'm currently undecided and intend on either going for a Psychology or Philosophy bachelor's (and most likely, I'll want to attend grad school for one of these). With psychology, I'll have much more prospects with bachelor's degree and with a graduate degree. With philosophy, undergraduate degrees don't seem very useful unless you're going to law school, while graduate degrees are often best for those wanting to become philosophy professors.

Now, the closest university to my location has a graduate program for psychology, but only has a bachelor's program for philosophy. So, I'd have to relocate in order to attend a grad school for philosophy if I wish to go down that route.

The problem here is that philosophy is my greatest interest in life. I feel naturally born to think and to think well. It's all I want to do with my life, for the most part. Yet, the extra effort which would be required to actually do something with a philosophy degree seems staggering in comparison to a simple psychology degree. Yet, psychology isn't my highest interest -- it's merely something I can enjoy. Additionally, I'm not a people person at all and I'd imagine a psych major would need some level of interpersonal skills (which I lack almost completely). A philosophy major would merely require a great thinker potential capable of teaching. That sounds like something I can do.

Thus, I'm stuck. Do I go with my heart and just try philosophy, regardless of where I may end up? Or, do I just play it safe and go with a psych major, even if I'm not really entirely satisfied or happy with that sort of occupation?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm a bit biased, but I say go with what you like more. I did the whole "play it safe" thing, switched to finance instead of continuing with my math and physics focus, got a really good job that I'm good at and pays well, but I'm ultimately left unfulfilled and my mind wanders constantly due to some degree of understimulation.

Philosophy is actually a pretty versatile field and you can get jobs anywhere by playing up your critical thinking, problem solving, and writing skills. Your mind is your best tool, not whatever content you fill it with, I've found.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is your goal to learn or to begin a career?

Are you going into debt for it?

Will you mind having a completely unrelated career? Or do you want to be a professor?

That might help you decide.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
go for the Philosophy bachelor's and take a few Psych classes on the side, so you can see if you have any taste for it.

ime, you don't really need interpersonal skills for a Psych degree. i knew a girl who actually really rather hated interacting with people but wanted to go into Psych research. that said, i say stay the course with Philosophy. bachelor's degrees aren't particularly limiting anyway. you can easily apply for many graduate programs with a Philosophy BA.