User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What does "NZ" stand for? I have no idea.

Yeah, I'm a dumb American on this one. :blushing:

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

well in america we do have way too many people go to college, leaving the university extremely bloated and full of mostly irrelevant piss-poor job training programs for the vast majority of our work force. it's about as inefficient as it gets. on the plus side, liberal arts ideology certainly sounds nice. too bad our actual system produces such an awful, helpless, poorly informed voting populace, pushing them to be left to their own devices (literally, via mass media), to help us really calcify this void of rational discourse that we seem to be proud of. the information quality that most people in the united states seem to have, use, recognize as fact, etc does seem quite horrid.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    - "Are there any sealed roads in NZ?" - Americans
    Haha you liar! Americans don't say that, they don't eve know what that means! :P

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

The smart side of me wants to scream New Zealand.... The doubtful side of me thinks I'm wrong.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Actually its pretty bad with New Zealand too but its not just Americans - I've heard plenty stories about Britons and Canadians that have said stupid things about NZ. For example, phrases said to myself and other family members while travelling:

- "Which part of Australia is NZ?" - Americans, Canadians, Britons
    - "Did you see the thing on the news about Australia?" - Canadians (even though they have been told repeatedly that the person is from NZ)
    - "Isn't it near Iceland?" - Americans
    - "Isn't it above Canada?" - Americans
    - "What language do they speak in NZ?" - Americans, Colombians
    - "Do you have laptops and ipods in NZ?" - Britons
    - "Are there any sealed roads in NZ?" - Americans

And my personal favourite:

-"Do you walk to Australia when the tide is out?" - Americans, Canadians (no, actually there's 2500km/1200mi of water between us)

Even though its a small, insignificant country its annoying when people have all these nonsensical ideas about it. I wish they would just admit that they don't know anything about it than make stuff up and regard it as good as fact.
    My guess is that a fair amount of people confuse New Zealand with New Guinea. But based on comments in this thread I may be giving people too much credit (e.g. not knowing that Ireland is a country).
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Regarding general school education: is it in America that schools are basically very disciplined (of course depending on the state). I had the impression of exchange students that they behave like shit over here, because they can for the first time. In Germany it is more that kids are very undisciplined and are more like free to develop in any possible direction and then later with age understand the importance of school and do something for it (not really the right way aswell, we need to work a lot on our school system)
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    The smart side of me wants to scream New Zealand.... The doubtful side of me thinks I'm wrong.
    Yes it stands for New Zealand. Most people here can't be bothered writing that many letters unnecessarily. We are a lazy nation.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Haha you liar! Americans don't say that, they don't eve know what that means! :P
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    My guess is that a fair amount of people confuse New Zealand with New Guinea. But based on comments in this thread I may be giving people too much credit (e.g. not knowing that Ireland is a country).
    I think they are confusing with a whole range of things. Many seem to think its an Australian state in the middle of the Outback or that its Tasmania. People don't actually realise how big it is either - its 2/3 the size of California and the Southern Alps are larger in area than the European Alps.

But honestly I can forgive people not knowing about obscure, old NZ but not knowing about Ireland is pretty hopeless.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte