• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

America, exams, multiple choice, European perceptions...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What does "NZ" stand for? I have no idea.

Yeah, I'm a dumb American on this one. :blushing:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well in america we do have way too many people go to college, leaving the university extremely bloated and full of mostly irrelevant piss-poor job training programs for the vast majority of our work force. it's about as inefficient as it gets. on the plus side, liberal arts ideology certainly sounds nice. too bad our actual system produces such an awful, helpless, poorly informed voting populace, pushing them to be left to their own devices (literally, via mass media), to help us really calcify this void of rational discourse that we seem to be proud of. the information quality that most people in the united states seem to have, use, recognize as fact, etc does seem quite horrid.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually its pretty bad with New Zealand too but its not just Americans - I've heard plenty stories about Britons and Canadians that have said stupid things about NZ. For example, phrases said to myself and other family members while travelling:

- "Which part of Australia is NZ?" - Americans, Canadians, Britons
- "Did you see the thing on the news about Australia?" - Canadians (even though they have been told repeatedly that the person is from NZ)
- "Isn't it near Iceland?" - Americans
- "Isn't it above Canada?" - Americans
- "What language do they speak in NZ?" - Americans, Colombians
- "Do you have laptops and ipods in NZ?" - Britons
- "Are there any sealed roads in NZ?" - Americans

And my personal favourite:

-"Do you walk to Australia when the tide is out?" - Americans, Canadians (no, actually there's 2500km/1200mi of water between us)

Even though its a small, insignificant country its annoying when people have all these nonsensical ideas about it. I wish they would just admit that they don't know anything about it than make stuff up and regard it as good as fact. :doh:

My guess is that a fair amount of people confuse New Zealand with New Guinea. But based on comments in this thread I may be giving people too much credit (e.g. not knowing that Ireland is a country).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Regarding general school education: is it in America that schools are basically very disciplined (of course depending on the state). I had the impression of exchange students that they behave like shit over here, because they can for the first time. In Germany it is more that kids are very undisciplined and are more like free to develop in any possible direction and then later with age understand the importance of school and do something for it (not really the right way aswell, we need to work a lot on our school system)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What does "NZ" stand for? I have no idea.

Yeah, I'm a dumb American on this one. :blushing:
The smart side of me wants to scream New Zealand.... The doubtful side of me thinks I'm wrong. :blush:
Yes it stands for New Zealand. Most people here can't be bothered writing that many letters unnecessarily. We are a lazy nation.

Haha you liar! Americans don't say that, they don't eve know what that means! :p
LOL :D
My guess is that a fair amount of people confuse New Zealand with New Guinea. But based on comments in this thread I may be giving people too much credit (e.g. not knowing that Ireland is a country).
I think they are confusing with a whole range of things. Many seem to think its an Australian state in the middle of the Outback or that its Tasmania. People don't actually realise how big it is either - its 2/3 the size of California and the Southern Alps are larger in area than the European Alps.

But honestly I can forgive people not knowing about obscure, old NZ but not knowing about Ireland is pretty hopeless.