User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default Would you be willing to work for an organisation that..

Would you be willing to work for an organisation that does not allow you to publish a blog (or other publications for that matter), under your own name? For fear that it may hurt the organisation in some way.

edit, additional question:
    What about *merely* forbidding all discussion about ones line of work?

This is purely hypothetical I might add.. I might also add that not all countries have such civil right protections and even then there may be exceptions

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Would you be willing to work for an organisation that does not allow you to publish a blog (or other publications for that matter), under your own name? For fear that it may hurt the organisation in some way.

This is purely hypothetical I might add..
    Most certainly not!! This would seem to be a breach of civil rights - depending on the country in which you live, that is. You may also have recourse via a union???
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    ILE

If I were an employer, I would never allow my employees to post or distribute work related information. If we have a product in development, it is obvious that you may not release information about it. You are not a spokesperson, (unless you were hired to be a spokesperson.) You are expected to maintain confidentiality.
    The MBTI types me as an INFP, however, SOCIONICS calls me an Logical Intuitive Extram (called an ENTj in our terms.)

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I keep a professional blog and I do mention my workplace in it but I never bad mouth it in any form. Most of what I blog about is related to ideas related to the profession, not to the workplace. My workplace encourages people to keep blogs.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Hero View Post
    If I were an employer, I would never allow my employees to post or distribute work related information. If we have a product in development, it is obvious that you may not release information about it. You are not a spokesperson, (unless you were hired to be a spokesperson.) You are expected to maintain confidentiality.
    These issues could be covered by a confidentiality agreement but to forbid someone to publish a blog in their own name, if it were published in their own private time, and from their own equipment and premises, is almost certainly a breach of civil rights.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP

It wouldn't personally affect me, since I have no desire to have a personal blog under my own name, but it does disturb me that they would reach that far into an employee's private life. So I would definitely do some thinking about that before accepting the job.
    Something Witty

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I remember reading about the policy of the press (in my country) about the use of facebook. The boss said to the journalists that they should make friends in FB with certain people to get inside information, but also said that the journalists should write absolutely nothing in the FB about the magazine they are working for. I find this quite hypocritical.

EDIT: And no, I wouldn't want to work in such an organization, and would probably make noise about this, if that didn't help I'd probably had to quit because by then they would hate me.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Depends on the profession and salary.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INTJ

You may not have a choice in the matter.

MBTI
    YaYa

Depends on the profession and salary.

+1