User Tag List

123 Last

Lightbulb Insight into the corporate mindset

Interesting article I came across, with additional discussion in the comments http://www.pakg1.net/2010/11/what-av...nderstand.html

He sounds like a young keener who's drank the corporate koolaid. Some of what he says is true. Some a starry-eyed version. Some, frankly things he was fed. Make no mistake that the higher you rise, the bigger the piranhas and the harder and faster you'd better tap dance. And the higher you rise, the more and bigger choices you'll have to make that impinge on your ethics.

I agree. I still find it tought instilling, including the discussion below.

All I'm going to say is that it's one part smarts, one part luck, one part social savvy, one part opportunism and the last part, how far you'll go. The nepotism or socio-economic standing portion can matter but isn't always the case. But it does help to know and impress the right people, not necessarily with your brilliance, although you have to be smart and skilled enough but with your reliability and corporate gung-ho focus aka good attitude.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Sounds horrible, even if he tries to spin it in a "nice" way. I'd rather live in a small shack as a fisherman. He doesn't understand how...self-involved he sounds, while at the same moment how little it matters to be a cog in a big corporation just because it can grant you a nice "career". You're not trying to find a new cure for cancer or prove fermat's theorem. In fact, people that actually DO this and will be remembered for centuries are rarely employed in high-pressure, high-pay, culturally "competitive" environments.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

It can be a daily adrenaline rush, an addiction. It can eat you alive. It can be fulfilling. There's nothing like it. There's nothing you also can love to hate as much or live to love. It's a game of power. Some thrive and others wilt.

It's so easy to get ahead. It's not so easy to stay on top. And when you're on top, it had better be what you really valued and who you are.

What I have noticed for people who want to get there, is that the ones who enjoy remaining on top tend to view it in an almost casual approach of it being a game. It's never personal. Once you start to take it personally, you won't last.

MBTI
    INTJ

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ANG

That was truth right there. I have been on both sides of the coin, so I feel the guy. We are really sold a dream that's filled with a lot of pitfalls that people don't realize until they find themselves in the mire. Good stuff!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    All I'm going to say is that it's one part smarts, one part luck, one part social savvy, one part opportunism and the last part, how far you'll go. The nepotism or socio-economic standing portion can matter but isn't always the case. But it does help to know and impress the right people, not necessarily with your brilliance, although you have to be smart and skilled enough but with your reliability and corporate gung-ho focus aka good attitude.
    Two things a 4.0 GPA does not guarantee.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    It can be a daily adrenaline rush, an addiction. It can eat you alive. It can be fulfilling. There's nothing like it. There's nothing you also can love to hate as much or live to love. It's a game of power. Some thrive and others wilt.

It's so easy to get ahead. It's not so easy to stay on top. And when you're on top, it had better be what you really valued and who you are.

What I have noticed for people who want to get there, is that the ones who enjoy remaining on top tend to view it in an almost casual approach of it being a game. It's never personal. Once you start to take it personally, you won't last.

Nice points. Corporate America isn't for everyone, but that's what is sold as 'success' to most people, so these points aren't realized until most have made some type of investment where it would hurt them if they turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Nice points. Corporate America isn't for everyone, but that's what is sold as 'success' to most people, so these points aren't realized until most have made some type of investment where it would hurt them if they turn around.
    Thanks. And that's true too. But that's when you break out and become an entrepreneur. Just make sure you've got a solid network to source clients from.

But you do see people mired deeply in the corporate world, unable to break out of what I call the "grey zone". If you're someone with a set of ethics that calls for black and white, that grey zone will eat away at you.