User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by LotsOfHeart View Post
    I think his take on things is pretty accurate. It does take hard work, mental toughness and maybe a certain kind of creativity to be in those situations. That said, the whole thing seems too stiff to me. He sounded like Gordon Gecko from Wall Street in a lot of the stuff. He sure is right about some things and he understands the corporate system very well, you gotta give him that. And to do what he's doing does take tremendous skill and hard work. But I just keep thinking about what really matters in life. To me, it's not the stuff he's talking about. Wanting to be among the best at what you're doing is great, and there is room at the top. A lot of people go corporate because hey, that's where the money often is. I understand that, and I respect it too. That said, if going corporate wasn't where the money was, how many people would involve themselves with it? It becomes more about "getting ahead of the next guy" than actually doing something good for the world, or even something that's really good for you in the long run.
    +1

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It's really good for you to be able to support yourself and have a social life...money is not a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    It's really good for you to be able to support yourself and have a social life...money is not a bad thing...
    Money is a construct of humanity and a biproduct of current thinking and lifestyle. If you reset life, money is gone until the next [de]volved species creates it again. Understanding it's role doesn't translate into supporting the system that created it or it's rules.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

What?

Its interesting to me what you are discussing right now. I recently posted yet another random thought that was something I came across in a human resources textbook:

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne F. Cascio
    Toward a Definition of “Career Success”

The tradition-oriented “organization man” of the 1950s had a clear definition of success and a stable model for achieving it. However, massive changes in the business environment have forced employees at all levels to explore alternative models of career success, and they are confronted with a variety of possibilities.6 Is it occupational success? Job satisfaction? Growth and development of skills? Successful movement through various life stages? Traditionally, career development and success have been defined in terms of occupational advancement, which is clear and easy to measure. Today, however, it seems appropriate to consider a new model as more careers tend to be cyclical in nature. That is, they involve periodic cycles of skill apprenticeship, mastery, and reskilling. Lateral, rather than upward, movement often constitutes career development, and cross-functional experience is essential to multiskilling and continued employability. Late careers increasingly are defined in terms of phased retirement.7 In this new world, the ultimate goal is psychological success, the feeling of pride and personal accomplishment that comes from achieving your most important goals in life, be they achievement, family happiness, inner peace, or something else.8 The following section examines career management in more detail; by way of background to this, let's consider the adult life-cycle stages.

8 Protean careers of the 21st century. Academy of Management Executive, 10 (4), 8-16
    I think the more employees, managers, business leaders, and organizations who embrace this, the better things will be for everyone in the corporate world.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

In an utopian world, everyone will only do what they like and societies will guarantee everyone's needs to allow it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I can give you insight into the corporate mindset: it's the same mindset that drove despotic leaders to create huge empires full of underlings in a successive hierchy until one got to the worker slaves at the bottom. Of course, no one is allowed to keep slaves anymore, so there's minimum wage. The actual benefits to belonging to such a despotic empire may vary depending on the ethics of your power-mad ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I can give you insight into the corporate mindset: it's the same mindset that drove despotic leaders to create huge empires full of underlings in a successive hierchy until one got to the worker slaves at the bottom. Of course, no one is allowed to keep slaves anymore, so there's minimum wage. The actual benefits to belonging to such a despotic empire may vary depending on the ethics of your power-mad ruler.
    *plots*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, it's why I can't buy into the conspiracy theory that "government is inherently evil." It's like, NO, you freaking dumbass....people are just like this, and the corporate structure is all-too-similar to primitive structures of government, and would become even more so given more free reign.

Libertarianism in its purest form won't work for the same reason communism in it's extreme form doesn't work: human nature.

It makes me wonder why more self-proclaimed NTs aren't able to see this. I can comprehend why SJs would miss the underlying pattern, but I don't get why an NT wouldn't see it too. Maybe because some NTs lack social intelligence?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I agree. I never said otherwise; my main song to sing here is just that the corporate mindset draws unhealthy activity out of those who are more easily corrupted. Maybe those people are just corrupt to begin with, but the system encourages them, and it just becomes a vicious circle.
    A hero is someone who does the right thing without expectation of reward, just because it's the right thing to do.