First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    It is easy to get ahead if you're willing to take risks, such as moving to another department or firm when your current one dead ends. In order to have the opportunity to do so, you have to get your branding out which means a lot of networking in your industry.
    Yes that helps - sure you can progress to some degree that way. However, I don't think it is easy for the vast majority of people to truly get ahead or get on top because they don't have the ability or desire. It might be easy for you

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Yes that helps - sure you can progress to some degree that way. However, I don't think it is easy for the vast majority of people to truly get ahead or get on top because they don't have the ability or desire. It might be easy for you
    If you look at people in general, when they have a strong desire or conviction, most eventually get what they want, as long as what they want is within reason. And moving to the next step is within reason. So in my opinion, it has more to do with the desire element and how much effort they're willing to output to get what they want. If extended hours aren't within their scope of reasonability, they're not going anywhere too quickly. This is the part where I agree with the article.

That's not to say that the current economic situation doesn't have impact on limiting external choices for movement. Less jobs available, less opportunities to advance. There are also less people retiring earlier since many rely on investment portfolio gain and market stability, to do so.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Right Maybe the question is what it means to get ahead or on top and what bar someone has. I see a lot of people who want to progress but aren't able to demonstrate that they can perform at the next level or there is someone fulling the slot they want and aren't going anywhere.

Good point. So maybe it's more reasonable to break it down into categories (Te tells me this is a must so hush, all you list haters! ).
    • Wrong industry where they're not using their strengths.
    • Already advanced to their maximum capabilities.
    • Unwilling to put in the extra time and effort.
    • Haven't been given the proper training and tools to accomplish at or beyond current job level. But this kind of points to a lack of initiative or passiveness.
    • Unwilling to risk sideways movements or movements to other divisions or companies to advance.

Business within itself isn't that complex a mechanism. Or maybe that's just my own overarching bias.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Nice points. Corporate America isn't for everyone,
    I'm not convinced that it's for anyone.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    YaYa

I'm pretty sure I went to school with this kid. He spouted off grandiose imagery. Then I got there and realized what a crock of shit it was. To succeed in corporate, you have to be a brown nosing conformist that is willing to pedal the dogmatic swill from above. Technology companies like google are on the best side of things. But I don't think even they have the ultimate answer yet. There is a certain tipping point in company size that necessitates drone behavior.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

To succeed in any business you have to get along with people. People will block you just because they don't like you. It's not ethical or professional, but if you keep whistle-blowing, the people who run the business eventually take it personally, and they do not forgive that. They get rid of you. Which is kind of sickening, because if you didn't care, you wouldn't bother to criticize, but when push comes to shove, folks in power don't like to be criticized and they will find a way to shut you up if you do.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I think his take on things is pretty accurate. It does take hard work, mental toughness and maybe a certain kind of creativity to be in those situations. That said, the whole thing seems too stiff to me. He sounded like Gordon Gecko from Wall Street in a lot of the stuff. He sure is right about some things and he understands the corporate system very well, you gotta give him that. And to do what he's doing does take tremendous skill and hard work. But I just keep thinking about what really matters in life. To me, it's not the stuff he's talking about. Wanting to be among the best at what you're doing is great, and there is room at the top. A lot of people go corporate because hey, that's where the money often is. I understand that, and I respect it too. That said, if going corporate wasn't where the money was, how many people would involve themselves with it? It becomes more about "getting ahead of the next guy" than actually doing something good for the world, or even something that's really good for you in the long run.
    A hero is someone who does the right thing without expectation of reward, just because it's the right thing to do.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by LotsOfHeart View Post
    I think his take on things is pretty accurate. It does take hard work, mental toughness and maybe a certain kind of creativity to be in those situations. That said, the whole thing seems too stiff to me. He sounded like Gordon Gecko from Wall Street in a lot of the stuff. He sure is right about some things and he understands the corporate system very well, you gotta give him that. And to do what he's doing does take tremendous skill and hard work. But I just keep thinking about what really matters in life. To me, it's not the stuff he's talking about. Wanting to be among the best at what you're doing is great, and there is room at the top. A lot of people go corporate because hey, that's where the money often is. I understand that, and I respect it too. That said, if going corporate wasn't where the money was, how many people would involve themselves with it? It becomes more about "getting ahead of the next guy" than actually doing something good for the world, or even something that's really good for you in the long run.
    Agreed!
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think it's pretty simple, if you want to get into the corporate mindset and what they care about, from any angle, the bottom line is... it's the bottom line.