[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDej3riTOS4"]$$$$$[/YOUTUBE]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, he's right. I agree with him. I tend to be happier with less than some people. My roommate is amazed on how little money I can live on per week. Greed is a disease. If I had what I have now, and someone I really loved, I would be happy. I'm just missing someone I love.

But I still can't travel around the world. Only upper-middle class or military folks, people in student exchange programs, or poor people willing to take great risks (like Henry Miller, gosh he's my hero) can do that.

MBTI
    ENTP

Is comparing a valid way to attribute value to things? It just seems that you can give any value....

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

This guy's point of view is my point of view... but he doesn't hint at the complete meaning of wealth. From the point of personal necessity, we're fabulously rich. But what wealth is about is status. If you veer from the societal norms you will loose out on much opportunity, social pecking order is not an illusion.

MBTI
    ISFP

Great video, Phobik.

marmalade.sunrise, I too live comfortably with less than many.

Another meaning of wealth besides personal necessity, and status, is the feeling of being rich in flowers, rich in coffee aroma, in smiles, literacy, breathing, life itself.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

this is great and all, but unkindloving already gave me a surefire plan to wealth:

"1. Post pictures on typc
    2. ????
    3. PROFIT! "
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    This guy's point of view is my point of view... but he doesn't hint at the complete meaning of wealth. From the point of personal necessity, we're fabulously rich. But what wealth is about is status. If you veer from the societal norms you will loose out on much opportunity, social pecking order is not an illusion.
    Sums up my thoughts exactly.

Who gives a shit that I have a PS3 (which 50 years ago would be considered on par with alien technology), when a Down Syndrome kid across the street has the same thing?

And I'm pretty sure that most people would choose to be a Roman Emperor in 50 AD than to be a wage slave with a fancy iPod and metrocard in 2010.
    Shit, I'd rather be a Roman Emperor in 50 AD than a US President in 2010.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Banned

Rich people : Income > Expenses, invest remaining income Assets, ever increasing Income, ever becoming richer.
    Poor people : Expenses > Income, Assets consumed to feed Expenses, ever decreasing Income, ever becoming poorer.

ThatGirl

Prosperity is the measure or touchstone of virtue, for it is less difficult to bear misfortune than to remain uncorrupted by pleasure.

.......What?

Fine, I watched the video. This guy is a crack pot. Sure, we have more than we had before, but we also live in a different time that places greater expectations on efficiency.

We have access to more books, and if we go to school to do better, are expected to read more than ten as well. So, access to more raises the common standard, and so we end up back in the same situation of needing or wanting more than we have access to. That isn't greed that is progression.

His only decent point seems to be that if we are focused on what we do not have we aren't paying attention to caring for or nurturing what we do. That perspective makes sense, since it helps you to build a foundation necessary for success, rather concentrating your efforts on an unattainable goal.