User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 27

  1. #11
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Sums up my thoughts exactly.

    Who gives a shit that I have a PS3 (which 50 years ago would be considered on par with alien technology), when a Down Syndrome kid across the street has the same thing?

    And I'm pretty sure that most people would choose to be a Roman Emperor in 50 AD than to be a wage slave with a fancy iPod and metrocard in 2010.
    Shit, I'd rather be a Roman Emperor in 50 AD than a US President in 2010.
    Haha, I was laying out the landscape, I'm taking the opposit tact.. I'm going to choose to drive around in a '90 Honda Civic, live in a dumpy place if it means that I can do some travelling and focus on what I think is important. Even if my social stock goes down.. compared to my equal earning bracket, I don't care.

  2. #12
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Sums up my thoughts exactly.

    Who gives a shit that I have a PS3 (which 50 years ago would be considered on par with alien technology), when a Down Syndrome kid across the street has the same thing?

    And I'm pretty sure that most people would choose to be a Roman Emperor in 50 AD than to be a wage slave with a fancy iPod and metrocard in 2010.
    Shit, I'd rather be a Roman Emperor in 50 AD than a US President in 2010.
    Actually I think being a Roman Emperor in 50 AD sounds horrific. So does being royalty up until about the 18th or 19th century - there's a certain level of discomfort I simply would not go back to, I don't care how powerful I was...knowing what you know now and what you've experienced, living in a drafty castle and being bled by leeches as a cure for fevers would surely not be satisfying.

  3. #13
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Actually I think being a Roman Emperor in 50 AD sounds horrific. So does being royalty up until about the 18th or 19th century - there's a certain level of discomfort I simply would not go back to, I don't care how powerful I was...knowing what you know now and what you've experienced, living in a drafty castle and being bled by leeches as a cure for fevers would surely not be satisfying.
    Me luve you ten dolla, sucky sucky

  4. #14
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Rob a fucking bank

  5. #15
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    And in the next episode of INTPs who didn't actually watch the video...

  6. #16
    Symbolic Herald Vasilisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,128

    Default

    I liked his message

    Sometimes a facet of reality finds a way to punch through our consciousness.
    Did anyone happen to see this image that was randomly generated by a news feed in November?

    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project


    Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

  7. #17
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,371

    Default

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQGVrDfzSaU"]"1 mil celebrate NYE"[/YOUTUBE]

    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jcPwufYSs"]200 000 flooded[/YOUTUBE]

    Out of sight out of mind.

  8. #18
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I liked his message

    Sometimes a facet of reality finds a way to punch through our consciousness.
    Did anyone happen to see this image that was randomly generated by a news feed in November?


    That is priceless.

    I remember seeing that cruise ship clip on the news and almost half-wondering if it were a parody, it was so ridiculous, I wanted to laugh!... as if these people were suffering in some real way and it's not like they won't be compensated later by the company for their unpleasant experience, anyhoo. My roommate and I just looked at each other in disbelief, almost in shock that these wealthy, priveleged people were making such a big effing deal about something so relatively minor.

    I'm not saying it didn't suck for them, but I didn't find it especially news-worthy, and think it was blown out of proportion.

  9. #19
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    But I still can't travel around the world. Only upper-middle class or military folks, people in student exchange programs, or poor people willing to take great risks (like Henry Miller, gosh he's my hero) can do that.
    Yeah, mobility or adventure is something I need more of (and cash to do it). I need to get it out of my system at least, because I don't think I've traveled enough (even if I have traveled more than my ancestors). Otherwise I keep thoughts like this in mind. It pays to be grateful. Or if anything, it brings a sense of wonder about the world. Even if I don't have as much mobility as I'd like, I get to see a lot of the world in a way. Like the point he mentions about books. It's amazing how much we can enrich ourselves (hell, for free in many cases). If Joe Blow across the street has access to it too, that's fine with me. Perhaps it's even more valuable in that case. I can knock on Joe Blow's door and discuss literature or philosophy or swap ideas; we can take out our mass-produced-Guitar Center bought Stratocasters and jam Greenback Dollar together. Whatever. I'm not going to spin it in the exact same way as the guy in the video and say I'm literally "rich", but I have it pretty good.

  10. #20
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    [YOUTUBE="4m37JkkGjAY"]Rich vs Wealthy[/YOUTUBE]

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] How to Become Less Sensitive?
    By Bilateral Entry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM
  2. [SJ] How to become a better SJ
    By /DG/ in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 09:02 AM
  3. Could someone please tell me how to become more "healthy"?
    By Queen Kat in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 11:43 AM
  4. [MBTItm] Succumbing to Irrationality or, How to Become More Compassionate
    By Ezra in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 03-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO