• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Critique of Community College

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Having just completed community college I feel as though I have not really completed college per se. It feels as though I completed an extended high school, and there are certain elements of community college that still bother me. Now that isn't to say I totally hate community college, on the contrary there are several factors that I like about it and whatnot. I just feel as though that certain parts of it need to be addressed for critique and review. Here I will present my own personal dislikes of community college:

-It's major program is ridiculous; I majored in philosophy; I took a grand total of five actual philosophy courses (24 classes total).
-It was required of me to take math, science, writing, and other classes. Why though so many? I'm majoring in philosophy there was no reason I needed to take courses in biology, geology, etc.
-The courses are far too short and all of them are treated like intro level courses.
-Most textbooks are often those expensive 500 pg. intro level texts, that are written in the most simplistic manner possible yet somehow take hourse to read through. (except for the philosophy books, they were dirt cheap and took minutes to read).

I would appreciate any feedback on my critique as well as any other complaints of community college in general. I may possibly add more critiques later.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I teach at a community college, but I teach freshman-level classes, so I can't speak to the rest of it. I personally feel that at my school, we coddle the students too much--teachers are expected by administration to meet the students more than halfway. I feel like they're kind of wanting us to be high school teachers, and we, the teachers, would much rather treat them like adults. Coddling students fosters a sense of entitlement and irresponsibility, from my experience. It's frustrating.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I got a BA from a liberal arts college (supposedly has some of the highest hours of studying in the country) and also studying for a year at a community college after some years of working. I would say there are pros and cons of community college. The pros are that it can be much cheaper than a traditional college and can offer great pre/professional training. The cons are that the standards for traditional education (english, biology, etc.) are generally not as high or stringent.

Community college is really a mixed bag, I think you really get out of it what you put in and its best use is for working adults going into second or third careers (pre/professional training), people taking classes for recreation, and for trad college aged students who lack the funds or are otherwise not ready for traditional college. An AA is the highest degree you can get at a community college, the ultimate academic goal is to do well enough and 'prove yourself' to go to a 4 year institution. It's a training ground. The experience at a commuter school is completely different from a trad college with I went to a huge community college and was surrounded by all sorts of students, different ages, different maturity levels, different levels of focus and studiousness.

Your criticism about having to take a lot of classes - that's the same at most universities. The idea is to make you a well-rounded person. Or at least a person who is not illiterate or academically handicapped. If you hated taking those classes, it might be a blessing that you completed those requirements at community college where it is cheaper and usually faster and less painless than at a traditional college.

Since I haven't taken a whole lot of 'traditional' undergrad courses at community college, I would say that most of my teachers held students to professional standards, even though there were lots of young/immature students and even students who were frankly odd (or more likely had psychiatric/emotional disorders).

I actually really enjoyed my community college experience, it was flip opposite in many ways from my traditional college experience. A lot of it had to do with my own perspective though.

I think with a field like philosophy, I could see how you might find your experience unfulfilling. I think the best bets for community college are classes that are straightforward and it's more about the information itself than how it's taught...if that makes sense. Like taking accounting.

Okay, I'm rambling, I might ramble some more later.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Peguy
It's called Natural Philosophy.

Even so, at 24 classes max one, mabye two classes for sceince should have been it. Besides I've already learned the elementary basics of bio, geo, and whatnot; I don't really need another whole class on it.

Originally posted by Tallulah
I teach at a community college, but I teach freshman-level classes, so I can't speak to the rest of it. I personally feel that at my school, we coddle the students too much--teachers are expected by administration to meet the students more than halfway. I feel like they're kind of wanting us to be high school teachers, and we, the teachers, would much rather treat them like adults. Coddling students fosters a sense of entitlement and irresponsibility, from my experience. It's frustrating.

I know what you mean; I mean as a student I was fairly independent, but observing some of my other peers it seemed as though they still were kids in a certain respect, and at times it seemed as though the teacher treated them that way as well. Hell sometimes it doesn't surprise me that school admins would expect teachers to treat students that way; there were time in my philosophy courses where the instructor would initiate some socratic thinking, waiting eagerly for students to respond back. Most of the time it was dead silence from a full class of thirty students, almost no one would ever respond back and I would think to myself 'why did these people all take philosophy course anyway? If they don't understand the material then why do they take these classes?'.

Originally posted by Nameless Hero
The "real" Universities are almost as bad. They cost more too.

Oh you've gotta be kidding me. Well, looks like I have another reason not to go to four year college.

Originally posted by Cze Cze
I got a BA from a liberal arts college (supposedly has some of the highest hours of studying in the country) and also studying for a year at a community college after some years of working. I would say there are pros and cons of community college. The pros are that it can be much cheaper than a traditional college and can offer great pre/professional training. The cons are that the standards for traditional education (english, biology, etc.) are generally not as high or stringent.

Community college is really a mixed bag, I think you really get out of it what you put in and its best use is for working adults going into second or third careers (pre/professional training), people taking classes for recreation, and for trad college aged students who lack the funds or are otherwise not ready for traditional college. An AA is the highest degree you can get at a community college, the ultimate academic goal is to do well enough and 'prove yourself' to go to a 4 year institution. It's a training ground. The experience at a commuter school is completely different from a trad college with I went to a huge community college and was surrounded by all sorts of students, different ages, different maturity levels, different levels of focus and studiousness.

Oh yeah, the pros are definitely something important that I have considered, I mean community college has been easier in terms of money and the idea of jumpin straight into a four year college was not something that I was intially ever prepared for.

Your criticism about having to take a lot of classes - that's the same at most universities. The idea is to make you a well-rounded person. Or at least a person who is not illiterate or academically handicapped. If you hated taking those classes, it might be a blessing that you completed those requirements at community college where it is cheaper and usually faster and less painless than at a traditional college.

I think with a field like philosophy, I could see how you might find your experience unfulfilling. I think the best bets for community college are classes that are straightforward and it's more about the information itself than how it's taught...if that makes sense. Like taking accounting.

Still though, a couple more philosophy courses in thier philosophy department would have been nicer. Although now that you mention it, getting the other basic courses out of the way first will probably be more helpful for 4 year college (granted that I do go there).

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I felt like community college was a continuation of high school. I did more in this one semester of my current college than I ever did in high school and community college combined.

I believe what you are annoyed about are those general education courses :tongue10:. You have to take general education, even at a regular college, at least around these parts. It's probably to get you to continually think in a different way. It's like that whole expression of language "Use it or lose it" and all those other things they "teach" you like critical thinking.

Most of your lower division courses could be considered intro courses. It is pretty much getting you ready for what is suppose to be the upper division courses.

S

Sniffles

Even so, at 24 classes max one, mabye two classes for sceince should have been it. Besides I've already learned the elementary basics of bio, geo, and whatnot; I don't really need another whole class on it.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. You also have to take into consideration the predominance of thinking supposedly derived from the natural sciences on much of contemporary philosophy as well. This is the basis of the Analytic tradition for example, which predominates within Anglosphere countries. Then also there's the sad trend towards cutting many humanities courses from college as a whole.

S

Sniffles

There's also the lingering influence of Postivist thinking within academic and everyday discouse as well. Especially Logical Positivism(we this for example with the New Atheists), even though it's fallen out of favor in philosophical circles for quite some time.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think Chris Rock called Community College a nightclub with books.
"Here's ten dollars; let me get my learn on!"

Seriously,
I think you really get out of it what you put in
This is absolutely true, and it goes for all learning institutions. Trust me.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that can be said of universities too - only more expensive.

Depends on which college you go to :newwink:. You either go to a college that is notorious for parties, go to one that is more subtle and is known for not partying that much, or go to one with friends who party a lot.

Around here... Chico state is known as the party college. To think I might have actually gone there sounds a bit insane (there was a program there that I kind of liked.) Though I think having fun at college is the best thing you can do, especially if your the type of person that stresses and study like crazy.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

What do you teach?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Peguy
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. You also have to take into consideration the predominance of thinking supposedly derived from the natural sciences on much of contemporary philosophy as well. This is the basis of the Analytic tradition for example, which predominates within Anglosphere countries. Then also there's the sad trend towards cutting many humanities courses from college as a whole.

There's also the lingering influence of Postivist thinking within academic and everyday discouse as well. Especially Logical Positivism(we this for example with the New Atheists), even though it's fallen out of favor in philosophical circles for quite some time.

True, true. In fact, looking back on it my other humanitarian classess like sociology, anthropology, and psychology were in large part extremely useful to me in understanding humanity as a whole. And that plays an important role in the areas of philosophy that I am most interested in; ethics, the nature of humanity, and the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche.

G

Glycerine

I thought some of my CC classes were much harder than my current classes at the university. I guess it depends on the college. You would have had to still take TONS of generals, regardless.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I've got one semester left of a traditional four-year college and I feel much the same way as you do.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ agreed. Hopefully future generations will get a better version of education than we did.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Community colleges are fulfilling a few different purposes, so it depends on why you are going. Some people are there just to get an AA and increase their salary potential with just two years of affordable education. Other people are getting a cheap substitute for the first two years of a university. And if you're getting an AA in philosophy then I'd say you essentially fall into this category.

I'd say that community college is a good way to go for the first two years. You really aren't missing much education wise at a community college compared to a four year university. What you tend to lose out on at a community college is "campus life" type stuff like living in a dorm, more extracarricular activities, sorority/fraternity, etc.... If you don't care about that then the community college is a better deal. The first two years of classes at a university are mostly gen. ed. stuff anyway. Most people find the classes get more interesting when they are taking 300-400 level classes in their major.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here's my two cents... I work at a Helpdesk in a community college, and also obtained my first degree here and take classes that I can transfer to the university I'm getting my second degree from.

For starters, our community college's motto is "Start Here, Go There." Pretty straight forward.... It's not expected to get you a top paying executive position. It's a place to get your feet wet, get an idea of what to expect, maybe even get you a foot in the door to a company now and continue your education at a university. I know the majority of our CIS majors have found jobs within good companies shortly after graduation and were able to continue there education without being broke, and they were also gaining work experience.

Our instructors here are all required to have Master degrees in the field they teach in. In other words, all of our History instructors must have a Masters in History.

No matter where you go you'll have to take Gen Ed classes... The difference at a community college, you won't have as many. I've knocked out all of my gen ed, when I get over to the university, guess what I'll have to take a physical fitness type of class and a few other gen ed classes! Unfortunately, there are some classes that you cannot avoid because of core curriculum requirements. However, if you truly find them unnecessary, see about testing out of them. We offer that option here. If you think you can't possibly learn anything else by sitting in a certain class, see about testing out of it.

Cost... We frequently get people that are attending the local universities....but they come here for certain classes because the price is about half of what they would pay if they took it at their university.

Class size... I know a lot of students that took classes here rather than at a university because of the classroom size. They felt much more comfortable in a class of 20-30 people versus a class of 50-100 people.

Distance Learning options... I don't know how other states are... But my state is a little behind when it comes to offering distance learning. The community college is really one of three higher learning institutes that you can get your entire degree online (with an accredited school) and never have to set foot on campus. I've noticed our local university is getting better at providing online options, but it's still only about 1/4 of their courses that are offered online.