User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTJ

^ That's what they say about CCPhiladelphia.

My school wouldn't take CCP classes because the distance between campus and CCP was too short. Since I lived in the city they wanted me to take all classes there. And I'm still paying.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Oh, God I cannot wait to get in on this.

I don't know how it is for all of you guys, but my college experience was/is a JOKE!
    I pay just over $5,000 a year so ($15000ish in total) for the luxury of having professors that don't show up to class, don't know their subject (my favourite, oh the stories I could tell!), Computers that don't work, Equipment that is broken, IT departments that are so swamped you're stuck with a loner machine for a whole semester, Deans that
    don't keep their contract promises - the list goes on.

I honestly am walking out into the career world feeling like I don't have the skills ready to handle the 'real world'. I had an html/webdesign class. The teacher got FIRED because he didn't teach us html, css, dreamweaver or flash. Then they just consolidated the marks they did have from me to magically come up with a final. How does that help me when applying for a job? Basically, I'm just walking away with an expensive piece of paper and a huge pile of debt. I have nothing good to say about college whatsoever.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Hmm... I'm actually about to go from a University to a community college.

Reason being... I'm just too poor to continue paying University tuition costs and lost my financial aid my last semester there.

I agree, that if you really want to study philosophy, continue your study at a University. I took quite a few, and loved each and every one. And trust me, you won't be coddled. Not even in intro. You'll also meet many very intelligent and like-minded people, I'm sure. I absolutely loved my philosophy teachers as well. I was just so impressed by them.

As for taking a variety of courses in multiple subjects: you have to do this in a University as well... and in fact much more in the world of core classes-2 years worth. At times, this irritated the heck out of me. I just wanted to get to the subject I wanted to get to. However, over time, I realized how much it broadened my scope and came to enjoy many of these core classes that I might otherwise had not considered. Philosophy, for example, as I was an art major and never considered it at all. Anthropology was another, and I actually decided to change my major after my first anthro class.

I say, be glad you paid much less money to knock out many of your core classes. Especially the ones you really dread, like science and math. If you decide to progress your education, look into some interesting core classes that might satisfy you and still count towards a degree. And definitely explore higher level philosophy courses. My 4000 level Existential philosophy course turned out to be out of my league and I wound up having to drop it before the semester was over. It was Kierkgaard. I couldn't comprehend a word of it. Although, don't get me wrong, I still got a lot out of the other stuff we learned in class.

According to you guys, I think the pro's of community college for me will be:
    -cheaper cost.
    -more leeway to learn at my pace and in my way.
    -more flexibility.
    -less classroom anxiety.

I've gotten a good bit of great education under my belt, and I wouldn't trade that for the world. It's not that I don't want to be challenged, but rather that I know how to challenge myself. So, I think I can definitely get a lot out of the community college experience.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    Oh, God I cannot wait to get in on this.

I don't know how it is for all of you guys, but my college experience was/is a JOKE!
    I pay just over $5,000 a year so ($15000ish in total) for the luxury of having professors that don't show up to class, don't know their subject (my favourite, oh the stories I could tell!), Computers that don't work, Equipment that is broken, IT departments that are so swamped you're stuck with a loner machine for a whole semester, Deans that
    don't keep their contract promises - the list goes on.

I honestly am walking out into the career world feeling like I don't have the skills ready to handle the 'real world'. I had an html/webdesign class. The teacher got FIRED because he didn't teach us html, css, dreamweaver or flash. Then they just consolidated the marks they did have from me to magically come up with a final. How does that help me when applying for a job? Basically, I'm just walking away with an expensive piece of paper and a huge pile of debt. I have nothing good to say about college whatsoever.
    Maybe that is why you should of researched the college and the professors that teach the courses you need beforehand.

Have an easy professor that teaches nothing/can't teach? Look for another professor (or if you have a community college/uni college working with each other, go to the other one.)
    Look around the campus to make sure that the area is running to a minimum, a good standard, before deciding it'll be your college.
    Look for the programs that the college offers. (e.g a working gym, working labs, somewhat up to date computers, study areas, etc.)

etc.