User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I think Chris Rock called Community College a nightclub with books.
    I think that can be said of universities too - only more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I think that can be said of universities too - only more expensive.
    Depends on which college you go to . You either go to a college that is notorious for parties, go to one that is more subtle and is known for not partying that much, or go to one with friends who party a lot.

Around here... Chico state is known as the party college. To think I might have actually gone there sounds a bit insane (there was a program there that I kind of liked.) Though I think having fun at college is the best thing you can do, especially if your the type of person that stresses and study like crazy.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I teach at a community college, but I teach freshman-level classes, so I can't speak to the rest of it. I personally feel that at my school, we coddle the students too much--teachers are expected by administration to meet the students more than halfway. I feel like they're kind of wanting us to be high school teachers, and we, the teachers, would much rather treat them like adults. Coddling students fosters a sense of entitlement and irresponsibility, from my experience. It's frustrating.
    What do you teach?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    What do you teach?
    Freshman composition.
    Something Witty

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Peguy
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. You also have to take into consideration the predominance of thinking supposedly derived from the natural sciences on much of contemporary philosophy as well. This is the basis of the Analytic tradition for example, which predominates within Anglosphere countries. Then also there's the sad trend towards cutting many humanities courses from college as a whole.

There's also the lingering influence of Postivist thinking within academic and everyday discouse as well. Especially Logical Positivism(we this for example with the New Atheists), even though it's fallen out of favor in philosophical circles for quite some time.
    True, true. In fact, looking back on it my other humanitarian classess like sociology, anthropology, and psychology were in large part extremely useful to me in understanding humanity as a whole. And that plays an important role in the areas of philosophy that I am most interested in; ethics, the nature of humanity, and the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche.

Glycerine

I thought some of my CC classes were much harder than my current classes at the university. I guess it depends on the college. You would have had to still take TONS of generals, regardless.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I've got one semester left of a traditional four-year college and I feel much the same way as you do.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

^ agreed. Hopefully future generations will get a better version of education than we did.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Community colleges are fulfilling a few different purposes, so it depends on why you are going. Some people are there just to get an AA and increase their salary potential with just two years of affordable education. Other people are getting a cheap substitute for the first two years of a university. And if you're getting an AA in philosophy then I'd say you essentially fall into this category.

I'd say that community college is a good way to go for the first two years. You really aren't missing much education wise at a community college compared to a four year university. What you tend to lose out on at a community college is "campus life" type stuff like living in a dorm, more extracarricular activities, sorority/fraternity, etc.... If you don't care about that then the community college is a better deal. The first two years of classes at a university are mostly gen. ed. stuff anyway. Most people find the classes get more interesting when they are taking 300-400 level classes in their major.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Here's my two cents... I work at a Helpdesk in a community college, and also obtained my first degree here and take classes that I can transfer to the university I'm getting my second degree from.

For starters, our community college's motto is "Start Here, Go There." Pretty straight forward.... It's not expected to get you a top paying executive position. It's a place to get your feet wet, get an idea of what to expect, maybe even get you a foot in the door to a company now and continue your education at a university. I know the majority of our CIS majors have found jobs within good companies shortly after graduation and were able to continue there education without being broke, and they were also gaining work experience.

Our instructors here are all required to have Master degrees in the field they teach in. In other words, all of our History instructors must have a Masters in History.

No matter where you go you'll have to take Gen Ed classes... The difference at a community college, you won't have as many. I've knocked out all of my gen ed, when I get over to the university, guess what I'll have to take a physical fitness type of class and a few other gen ed classes! Unfortunately, there are some classes that you cannot avoid because of core curriculum requirements. However, if you truly find them unnecessary, see about testing out of them. We offer that option here. If you think you can't possibly learn anything else by sitting in a certain class, see about testing out of it.

Cost... We frequently get people that are attending the local universities....but they come here for certain classes because the price is about half of what they would pay if they took it at their university.

Class size... I know a lot of students that took classes here rather than at a university because of the classroom size. They felt much more comfortable in a class of 20-30 people versus a class of 50-100 people.

Distance Learning options... I don't know how other states are... But my state is a little behind when it comes to offering distance learning. The community college is really one of three higher learning institutes that you can get your entire degree online (with an accredited school) and never have to set foot on campus. I've noticed our local university is getting better at providing online options, but it's still only about 1/4 of their courses that are offered online.