Thread: Colleges

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default Colleges

I am going to break down the factors, feelings, and colleges I want to go to, as well as various stats about me. I guess I am looking for advice.

The colleges I am applying for are:
    Boston University
    Boston College
    North Carolina State University
    UNC Chapel Hill
    and yes, Harvard (and maybe Brown or Cornell)

There are several questions/facts that pop into my mind when I think about what my probability of being accepted is:

I am graduating a year early. Is this going to help, hurt, or do nothing for me?

I wrote a great essay. How much higher does this set me above other applicants?

I am curious, creative, intelligent, and driven, and I show that through my writing. I know colleges care about GPA, but they also stress those factors. I am actually very, very curious, and I don't want to go to a good college just for prestige.

I took difficult classes, and have taken two extra summer courses for the last two years. I did much better in my second set, though. The more work I have in a class, the better I do. I will get a B in an easy class, but an A in a hard one.

I have shown improvement.

My GPA is a little over a 3.1 U/W and a 3.7/8 W.

I play the violin, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, and flute, participate in an orchestra on the violin and clarinet, and have done three regional band clinics. I also practice a lot. I think my passion for music is clearly shown. I also have two years of mock trial, started Jazz band this year, and will be doing All-District (and maybe All State).

My SAT scores add up to a 1750 (partly because of my dilemma in math, and not being able to take good courses for it, and partly because I sat there, thinking about my essay, rather than writing it. Hopefully I do much better on the ACT tomorrow).

I volunteer at my orchestra, and I also volunteered at UNCCH for 3 weeks (60 hours) during my summer. Nothing like saving children in Peru, though.

I know I am highly intelligent, and I will do very well in a harder school, but honestly, I have no idea who would accept me, and who wouldn't, or what their values are. I feel like if I felt I had more competition in school, and more challenging courses, my grades would be higher.

I am from The Middle of Nowhere, The Middle of Nowhere, so that helps a little.

I also can't think of any more ways to increase my chances.

Yeah, this kind of turned into a vent thread. I am not the average student in anyway, so I have a hard time comparing myself to other accepted applicants.

Stress! It beats down upon me! I seem to be the only one in my school working so hard to get into a good college. I wish it could be enough that I am smart, curious, passionate, and dedicated. What colleges say they want, right?

Comments are appreciated from current applicants or veterans.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I am graduating a year early. Is this going to help, hurt, or do nothing for me?

I've heard of people who graduated a year early, and for some it actually hurt their chances of getting in to certain schools. Others it didn't do much. I've never heard of it benefiting if you do so though.

I wrote a great essay. How much higher does this set me above other applicants?

Schools look at applicants differently, but they usually go by a certain order, which varies. Taken with a grain of salt, this is usually the order in which they weed out applicants.

GPA and SAT/ACT score (Where you stand in a class also matters to an extent. My friend was valedictorian at a sub-par school, and Harvard sent her a free application)
    Extracurriculars
    Volunteer work or Job Experience
    An Essay that shows what you've learned from the above three requirements.

So if you don't have the stuff above, it's not going to matter, but if you get to step four, then it can be a deciding factor between you and the other student who wrote the essay in only half an hour.

My GPA is a little over a 3.1 U/W and a 3.7/8 W.

If you really want to get into places like Harvard, work on this.

I've seen people get into Ivy League schools. The people that were rejected did above and beyond, but the people I knew that got accepted did above, beyond, and created volunteer organizations or played an influential part in their community. You could get a scholarship for music, or at the least be accepted.

Other than that, I think you have a decent chance of getting into any of the above schools...JUST APPLY EARLY!!!! DON'T BE LIKE ME AND APPLY IN MAY!
    I heard Boston College was the shizz. Good luck!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

my high school valedictorian who had a ridiculous weighted gpa, like 4.3 or something, didn't get into harvard, yale, or princeton. not trying to bring you down, it just seems like a reach.

graduating early seems like it might hurt a little, a lot of the people i know loaded up on AP classes senior year to raise their gpa. so you aren't getting the opportunity to do that.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Tawanda: Yeah, Harvard is my absolute reach school. I don't expect to get in at all. How do music scholarships work, for getting into these schools? Because I am exceptionally skilled at music!

I am applying this week for my colleges. I feel like it is kind of late for me to be applying though, but I have heard applying Early Action/Decision can hurt you anyway.

Chana: Absolutely it is a reach for me to apply to these schools, but I don't fear rejection.

I know that a lot of people load up on AP courses and what not, and I am not getting that, but as far as I was aware, they looked more at the vigor and grades of the courses already taken. And the courses I have taken are more difficult than a lot of AP courses for the age of people taking them compared to the age I was when I took the courses I did.

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

NSHSS a scam? (National High School Scholars Society)

Yeah, I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread.

Anyway, I read somewhere it was, and wasn't really sure about what to do about it. So if anyone knows...well, that is great!

I think so. Isn't that the one you have to pay to join?

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I don't know to be honest. Your GPA isn't that great. Maybe try the UCs--they're great schools and I'm sure you'll be accepted at SOME of them. Even students with 3.8 GPAs, two years of community college get rejected at schools like SDSU! It all depends on a number of factors; like how impacted your major is among other things. A friend of mine had a 3.9GPA and got accepted at UCB after two years of community college.

Although, it's easier to get accepted to an UC if you're a California resident, or even a local. I know that SDSU rejects a lot of applicants if they're not in San Diego county. UCLA, UCB, and UCSD are one of the great schools over here. And UCSB has a gorgeous campus! It sits right on the mothafuckin' beach.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Senza: yep, it is. They do offer it for free, though, if I 'have financial hardship'

Paperoceans: Haha, I am scared of the west coast. I am a total Eastcoastie. I know my GPA isn't great, but I am smart, and did well on the ACT. And I am dedicated! Stupid GPA's. My classes are way harder than everyone else's

I have considered going to school out there, though...unfortunately, it is a bit too late for me to just apply out there. I find it a little odd that they are more likely to reject if you aren't from the area. I figured you would be more likely to get in- colleges are always preaching diversity, and oh, I have people from all 50 states, blah blah blah

Oh, my GPA has gone up. It will probably be a 3.5 when I graduate. If all goes according to my plan. Right now, it is 3.2 something, I think.

MBTI
    FREE

Per college board:

Middle 50% of students' SAT total:

Boston U: 1770 - 2050
    Boston C: 1880 - 2150
    Brown: 2000 - 2300
    Cornell: 1990 - 2280
    Harvard: 2100 - 2390
    NCSU: 1600 - 1890
    UNCCH: 1790 - 2100

Given your lower than ideal GPA, I would say you would probably need to score in the middle 50% to be seriously considered. Although this depends upon your major and your race as well. Are you a music major? Are you a minority? Is your family poor?

Edit:

If you don't get in to one of the better schools, don't sweat it. Just try hard at whatever school you get into, and enjoy your major.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

My family is poor. I may major in music, actually. I want to double major. First, I would like to figure out a career in general though. An even harder task.