Thread: Colleges

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
    I currently go to a small college... commuter as well. It's nice for an I... but as an ENTP I'd assume you might like a bigger college! Such a wider group of acquaintances that you meet. Every day for the rest of your 4 years you could meet someone new. Also, they are generally better funded and have more diverse programs so you're less likely to get bored.
    Bigger has its pros and cons. I like meeting a lot of new people, but I really like having just a small group of friends. My friendships tend to be pretty deep and I like it that way. Are private colleges well funded?
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

My small college is private, but they drive up funding every year because the price of running a school like that is so high. The funding for everything is pricey, so in the end you get less and pay more in my opinion.
    "Others should not judge what you truly are, instead you should find yourself. You may find yourself in a bowl of cereal or dreaming of the unknown, but make sure it is you who finds you." - Myself

ENTP
    Extroverted (E) 56.76% Introverted (I) 43.24%
    Intuitive (N) 64.29% Sensing (S) 35.71%
    Thinking (T) 62.5% Feeling (F) 37.5%
    Perceiving (P) 75% Judging (J) 25%

9w8 SP/SX
    Neutral

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I'm going to college this fall! University of North Texas with a major in Elementary Education (technically Interdisciplinary Studies, I think, but I want to teach kids). I'm pretty sure Harvard is really overrated. I mean I'm sure it's a good school, but the ratings for it are just off the charts and that can't be right. As far as a good school for ENTPs, I think (and hope) they'd be roughly the same as for INTPs: relatively small, liberal arts. I haven't been to a college personally, except to visit, so I can't help you all that much. I can say that the primary reason I chose this school is because it's primarily a music school, and I like a musical atmosphere. Keep in mind that you're also choosing a place to live for the next four(ish) years, and location does matter.

I'll also say that 1750 SAT score is not gonna get you into an ivy league school. I have a similar GPA (3.0/4) to you and a 2120 SAT, and had I applied to any ivy league schools, I'd have been rejected without a second glance. Then again, I also considered a music major, and the process is very different. You need to have auditioned by like February for most schools.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I'm going to college this fall! University of North Texas with a major in Elementary Education (technically Interdisciplinary Studies, I think, but I want to teach kids). I'm pretty sure Harvard is really overrated. I mean I'm sure it's a good school, but the ratings for it are just off the charts and that can't be right. As far as a good school for ENTPs, I think (and hope) they'd be roughly the same as for INTPs: relatively small, liberal arts. I haven't been to a college personally, except to visit, so I can't help you all that much. I can say that the primary reason I chose this school is because it's primarily a music school, and I like a musical atmosphere. Keep in mind that you're also choosing a place to live for the next four(ish) years, and location does matter.

I'll also say that 1750 SAT score is not gonna get you into an ivy league school. I have a similar GPA (3.0/4) to you and a 2120 SAT, and had I applied to any ivy league schools, I'd have been rejected without a second glance. Then again, I also considered a music major, and the process is very different. You need to have auditioned by like February for most schools.
    I think it's also the matter of your school activities. Being class president, running a club etc. Also if you're a musician, performing in MAJOR MAJOR events and what not. I think theres tons of differences for ENTP and INTP as far as college choice goes though :p
    "Others should not judge what you truly are, instead you should find yourself. You may find yourself in a bowl of cereal or dreaming of the unknown, but make sure it is you who finds you." - Myself

ENTP

9w8 SP/SX
    Neutral

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Well, that is why I am going to transfer: my lame but at the same time not lame SAT scores (that test is so bs. I mean, why am I being tested on such arbitrary things, when I know I am great at math, writing, and reading?) are seriously holding me back.

I am starting to think small liberal arts sounds good. Maybe if I just hate the place I will move. I think that sounds good.

I, too, want to do something with music. I need a place with good music programs, or at least a place I can get lessons from great people. I really would like to do something in music, but I can't bring myself to put too much weight into it, and then fail.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Well, that is why I am going to transfer: my lame but at the same time not lame SAT scores (that test is so bs. I mean, why am I being tested on such arbitrary things, when I know I am great at math, writing, and reading?) are seriously holding me back.

I am starting to think small liberal arts sounds good. Maybe if I just hate the place I will move. I think that sounds good.

I, too, want to do something with music. I need a place with good music programs, or at least a place I can get lessons from great people. I really would like to do something in music, but I can't bring myself to put too much weight into it, and then fail.
    Plenty of good music schools, not so plenty of good music careers. Unless you are fine with a mediocre pay as a sit in musician or music teacher. My SAT scores sucked, but I like to think that doesn't make me a stupid crayon.

ENTP

9w8 SP/SX
    Neutral

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

hm you know, my thoughts on small vs large, being an extravert - i would not have wanted to be on a very small campus (<2000 people), but i found many advantages to attending a smaller school. the best was probably the student:teacher ratio, which was very low. i never had a TA, never had a professor who wasn't available to talk after class, got to know almost all my profs well, and wasn't prioritized beneath grad students (all 50 of them, lol). i also never had to walk more than 20 minutes to class! it was a very fulfilling world - even though a big university seems like it would be ideal for an extravert, i never ran out of people to interact with or things to do, and i felt like i got much more personalized attention than many of my friends at much larger schools.

not trying to steer you, antimony, or anyone towards a small university necessarily, but i do think it's worth knowing that as long as you don't go too small, a mild extravert should have no problems being fulfilled at one, and may reap the benefits. i think this would especially hold true for ENxPs, who tend to be more introverted and would probably thrive mainly off academics and ideas more than social life anyway. that said, i had an ESTP 7w8 college friend who was generally miserable - it wasn't a good fit for her. she wanted to attend only classes tailored to her degree, and craved a level of anonymity (and partying, lol) that wasn't possible at our university. she dropped out a couple years in and switched to a very large university, and is much happier there.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    hm you know, my thoughts on small vs large, being an extravert - i would not have wanted to be on a very small campus (<2000 people), but i found many advantages to attending a smaller school. the best was probably the student:teacher ratio, which was very low. i never had a TA; never had a professor who wasn't available to talk after class; i got to know almost all my profs well; wasn't prioritized beneath grad students (all 50 of them, lol); and i easily got very involved in the school's social and administrative life. i also never had to walk more than 20 minutes to class! it was a very fulfilling world - even though a big university seems like it would be ideal for an extravert, i never ran out of people to meet or things to do, and i felt like i got much more personalized attention than many of my friends at much larger schools.

not trying to steer you, antimony, or anyone towards a small university necessarily, but i do think it's worth knowing that as long as you don't go too small, a mild extravert should have no problems being fulfilled at one, and may reap the benefits. i think this would especially hold true for ENxPs, who tend to be more introverted and would probably thrive mainly off academics more than social life anyway. that said, i had an ESTP 7w8 college friend who was generally miserable - it wasn't a good fit for her. she wanted to attend only classes tailored to her degree, and craved a level of anonymity (and partying, lol) that wasn't possible at our university. she dropped out a couple years in and switched to a very large university, and is much happier there.
    The whole part about smaller class sizes is very true, but the whole part about taking the bullshit courses is of the utmost truth. I HATE THE FLUFF STUFF.

ENTP

9w8 SP/SX
    Neutral