• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Colleges

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
There are no colleges that are uniquely well suited to ENTPs. What matters more is your own interest in things. If you are interested in what you are studying, that is good. If you have a hard time dealing with subjects you don't care for, be wary of colleges with lots of requirements.

You should have already heard from all of the colleges, so I don't really know what your options are. A large school will at least give you many options (speaking as someone at a tiny place that does absolutely nothing but science), which prevents you from being sad that you cannot do a lot of majors. I dunno.

Also keep in mind that hard in college means something different than hard in high school. You will have options that match your ability reasonably well (as in, you are likely near average at a lot of your options). I figured that I had breezed through high school, no problem, so I shouldn't worry too much in college. I forgot that that isn't uncommon. Oops. When you're around average for your school, not working hard means failing. Do keep that in mind. If you aren't a lot better than average for your college, be prepared to work.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
college for ENTPs -- MIT. they have a longstanding tradition of intellectual pranking. lol :)

i went to a somewhat small liberal arts school, and i LOVED it. i have NTP friends who enjoy it too - though they probably could have done with less arts and literature fluff in the required curriculum, especially the INTPs.

good luck with your schools, antimony :)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

For those wondering why I am discussing this so late in the year- yes, I should have heard from colleges, and did. But I am doing comm college first and wanted some ideas which may be more well suited to my creative thinking. Pretty much, I need some direction for when I transfer. I don't want to end up at a college I wouldn't be as happy at as another.

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8

For those wondering why I am discussing this so late in the year- yes, I should have heard from colleges, and did. But I am doing comm college first and wanted some ideas which may be more well suited to my creative thinking. Pretty much, I need some direction for when I transfer. I don't want to end up at a college I wouldn't be as happy at as another.

I would visit the colleges... see if you can't pick some of the professors brains. Just a good idea.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Unfortunately, wouldn't that mean visiting in the Fall? I assume that professors try to not hang around school all through summer. I could compile a list of possible choices, and go over to pick their brains.

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Unfortunately, wouldn't that mean visiting in the Fall? I assume that professors try to not hang around school all through summer. I could compile a list of possible choices, and go over to pick their brains.

There are summer courses in many colleges, so it is possible. You could also ask the dean perhaps to have some type of arrangement. I'm sure it's rare that a student would wish to speak with some of the professors.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are summer courses in many colleges, so it is possible. You could also ask the dean perhaps to have some type of arrangement. I'm sure it's rare that a student would wish to speak with some of the professors.

Not a bad idea. I think more people should speak to professors. I make it my personal mission to get in with the professors/teachers I have had. More leniency for me, and I love making new friends! If I do this, I just need to make sure I don't hate the profs and have a bias against the school.

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Not a bad idea. I think more people should speak to professors. I make it my personal mission to get in with the professors/teachers I have had. More leniency for me, and I love making new friends! If I do this, I just need to make sure I don't hate the profs and have a bias against the school.

Well honestly, if you don't like the professors in your major, then don't let it discourage you... but it always helps to know who they hire.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well honestly, if you don't like the professors in your major, then don't let it discourage you... but it always helps to know who they hire.

I suppose it would be good. It is looking like me going to the schools and infiltrating their system might be the best way to do it. I think I should go look into other threads about where people went to college. I am considering a small college, but I want to be able to change my mind frequently.

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
I suppose it would be good. It is looking like me going to the schools and infiltrating their system might be the best way to do it. I think I should go look into other threads about where people went to college. I am considering a small college, but I want to be able to change my mind frequently.

I currently go to a small college... commuter as well. It's nice for an I... but as an ENTP I'd assume you might like a bigger college! Such a wider group of acquaintances that you meet. Every day for the rest of your 4 years you could meet someone new. Also, they are generally better funded and have more diverse programs so you're less likely to get bored.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I currently go to a small college... commuter as well. It's nice for an I... but as an ENTP I'd assume you might like a bigger college! Such a wider group of acquaintances that you meet. Every day for the rest of your 4 years you could meet someone new. Also, they are generally better funded and have more diverse programs so you're less likely to get bored.

Bigger has its pros and cons. I like meeting a lot of new people, but I really like having just a small group of friends. My friendships tend to be pretty deep and I like it that way. Are private colleges well funded?

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
My small college is private, but they drive up funding every year because the price of running a school like that is so high. The funding for everything is pricey, so in the end you get less and pay more in my opinion.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm going to college this fall! University of North Texas with a major in Elementary Education (technically Interdisciplinary Studies, I think, but I want to teach kids). I'm pretty sure Harvard is really overrated. I mean I'm sure it's a good school, but the ratings for it are just off the charts and that can't be right. As far as a good school for ENTPs, I think (and hope) they'd be roughly the same as for INTPs: relatively small, liberal arts. I haven't been to a college personally, except to visit, so I can't help you all that much. I can say that the primary reason I chose this school is because it's primarily a music school, and I like a musical atmosphere. Keep in mind that you're also choosing a place to live for the next four(ish) years, and location does matter.

I'll also say that 1750 SAT score is not gonna get you into an ivy league school. I have a similar GPA (3.0/4) to you and a 2120 SAT, and had I applied to any ivy league schools, I'd have been rejected without a second glance. Then again, I also considered a music major, and the process is very different. You need to have auditioned by like February for most schools.

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm going to college this fall! University of North Texas with a major in Elementary Education (technically Interdisciplinary Studies, I think, but I want to teach kids). I'm pretty sure Harvard is really overrated. I mean I'm sure it's a good school, but the ratings for it are just off the charts and that can't be right. As far as a good school for ENTPs, I think (and hope) they'd be roughly the same as for INTPs: relatively small, liberal arts. I haven't been to a college personally, except to visit, so I can't help you all that much. I can say that the primary reason I chose this school is because it's primarily a music school, and I like a musical atmosphere. Keep in mind that you're also choosing a place to live for the next four(ish) years, and location does matter.

I'll also say that 1750 SAT score is not gonna get you into an ivy league school. I have a similar GPA (3.0/4) to you and a 2120 SAT, and had I applied to any ivy league schools, I'd have been rejected without a second glance. Then again, I also considered a music major, and the process is very different. You need to have auditioned by like February for most schools.

I think it's also the matter of your school activities. Being class president, running a club etc. Also if you're a musician, performing in MAJOR MAJOR events and what not. I think theres tons of differences for ENTP and INTP as far as college choice goes though :p

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, that is why I am going to transfer: my lame but at the same time not lame SAT scores (that test is so bs. I mean, why am I being tested on such arbitrary things, when I know I am great at math, writing, and reading?) are seriously holding me back.

I am starting to think small liberal arts sounds good. Maybe if I just hate the place I will move. I think that sounds good.

I, too, want to do something with music. I need a place with good music programs, or at least a place I can get lessons from great people. I really would like to do something in music, but I can't bring myself to put too much weight into it, and then fail.

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, that is why I am going to transfer: my lame but at the same time not lame SAT scores (that test is so bs. I mean, why am I being tested on such arbitrary things, when I know I am great at math, writing, and reading?) are seriously holding me back.

I am starting to think small liberal arts sounds good. Maybe if I just hate the place I will move. I think that sounds good.

I, too, want to do something with music. I need a place with good music programs, or at least a place I can get lessons from great people. I really would like to do something in music, but I can't bring myself to put too much weight into it, and then fail.

Plenty of good music schools, not so plenty of good music careers. Unless you are fine with a mediocre pay as a sit in musician or music teacher. My SAT scores sucked, but I like to think that doesn't make me a stupid crayon.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hm you know, my thoughts on small vs large, being an extravert - i would not have wanted to be on a very small campus (<2000 people), but i found many advantages to attending a smaller school. the best was probably the student:teacher ratio, which was very low. i never had a TA, never had a professor who wasn't available to talk after class, got to know almost all my profs well, and wasn't prioritized beneath grad students (all 50 of them, lol). i also never had to walk more than 20 minutes to class! it was a very fulfilling world - even though a big university seems like it would be ideal for an extravert, i never ran out of people to interact with or things to do, and i felt like i got much more personalized attention than many of my friends at much larger schools.

not trying to steer you, antimony, or anyone towards a small university necessarily, but i do think it's worth knowing that as long as you don't go too small, a mild extravert should have no problems being fulfilled at one, and may reap the benefits. i think this would especially hold true for ENxPs, who tend to be more introverted and would probably thrive mainly off academics and ideas more than social life anyway. that said, i had an ESTP 7w8 college friend who was generally miserable - it wasn't a good fit for her. she wanted to attend only classes tailored to her degree, and craved a level of anonymity (and partying, lol) that wasn't possible at our university. she dropped out a couple years in and switched to a very large university, and is much happier there.

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
hm you know, my thoughts on small vs large, being an extravert - i would not have wanted to be on a very small campus (<2000 people), but i found many advantages to attending a smaller school. the best was probably the student:teacher ratio, which was very low. i never had a TA; never had a professor who wasn't available to talk after class; i got to know almost all my profs well; wasn't prioritized beneath grad students (all 50 of them, lol); and i easily got very involved in the school's social and administrative life. i also never had to walk more than 20 minutes to class! it was a very fulfilling world - even though a big university seems like it would be ideal for an extravert, i never ran out of people to meet or things to do, and i felt like i got much more personalized attention than many of my friends at much larger schools.

not trying to steer you, antimony, or anyone towards a small university necessarily, but i do think it's worth knowing that as long as you don't go too small, a mild extravert should have no problems being fulfilled at one, and may reap the benefits. i think this would especially hold true for ENxPs, who tend to be more introverted and would probably thrive mainly off academics more than social life anyway. that said, i had an ESTP 7w8 college friend who was generally miserable - it wasn't a good fit for her. she wanted to attend only classes tailored to her degree, and craved a level of anonymity (and partying, lol) that wasn't possible at our university. she dropped out a couple years in and switched to a very large university, and is much happier there.

The whole part about smaller class sizes is very true, but the whole part about taking the bullshit courses is of the utmost truth. I HATE THE FLUFF STUFF.