User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Colleges

Write well. Practice writing more. Buy SAT books every year and practice.

Take AP courses and do AP exams if you want to go to Ivy League.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Haha, it is a little hard for me to practice writing more than I do- I have been writing for the last six years, consistently, for fun.

I have/will have one AP course, three college credit classes, four maths, four englishes, 7 sciences, three social studies, 5/6 electives or something along those lines. I didn't have room for more AP classes. They did it weird at my school. However, I will be taking the APES exam.

It is tempting to take an AP exam I feel I may be well versed in, instead of taking the class.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    My family is poor. I may major in music, actually. I want to double major. First, I would like to figure out a career in general though. An even harder task.
    If finances are an issue, it may be worth applying to an ivy league school, if you can afford the extra application fees. I never thought I could get into one, but my mother insisted I apply, and in the end it was the most affordable option since they have such large endowments that they can offer substantial financial aid. Both my parents were alums of one of the other schools on your list, and even that didn't get me enough financial aid to be able to afford to attend. (We weren't poor, but my parents never earned enough to be able to save for college after paying the bills. My grades were very good, but I didn't think my outside activities were that outstanding.)

Of course, you have to be accepted to the school to take advantage of financial aid. The ivy leagues take an interest in standardized test scores, but seem more willing to look beyond those to view the applicant as a whole person. Community involvement, and sustained commitment to one or more extracurricular pursuits make a big impression. This can come across in the essays, but also in a personal interview. Harvard tries to interview all applicants, though their network of alumni. If your other candidate schools do not, try to visit the campus and arrange to speak with someone yourself. If someone in the admissions process can put a face to a name, and gain an impression of you in person, that will probably help.

Good luck!
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Thanks for the input!

I have applied to Boston College, Boston University, UNC Chapel Hill, NC State and Harvard. So, all the ones I had hoped to apply to. I am trying to make an impression of myself, especially to Harvard. I have at Chapel Hill, I think. I think I may get accepted. At least, I hope so.

Actually, initially the only reason I applied to Harvard was because I can go for free if I get in. I just thought it was completely unattainable. But then I realized: I am smart enough for this school, and I think I would do well with a challenge.

I will probably get into BU, but I doubt I will be granted enough financial aid. I also heard Boston College offers great financial aid. And obviously UNCCH and NC State are in state for me, so cheaper.

I guess I certainly have music going for me: jazz band a few years, pep band a few years, band clinics for 4 years, an orchestra for 2, and I play a diverse amount of musical instruments. Sadly, I have not been able to get together a compilation of my playing for a supplemental video.

I am curious to see if this will work, but I want to 'talk my way' into Harvard. Not in a manipulative kind of way (I am sure someone, somewhere, guest or not, is reading this and shaking their head), but I just want to let them know about me, and my intentions and whatnot. It'll be interesting, but I am stubborn persistant and won't give up until the door is slammed shut on my face.

As another thought: I think it would be really funny to have colleges for certain MBTI types haha

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default Colleges for ENTPs?

Does anyone know of colleges that would be a good fit for an ENTP, or any sort of creative thinker? I'm trying to look into other colleges, but I don't really know where to begin. It doesn't matter if it is a specific college or not. I still don't even know what I want to go to school for, specifically, but it would be great if there was a good music program in or around the school.

MBTI
    FREE

Isn't it a bit late in the year? The colleges you've already applied to should be getting back to you at this point. If you're thinking about applying for 2012, either spring or fall, then you have plenty of time to decide. I would recommend pm'ing the ENTPs on the forum, asking which colleges they went to, and get their input. Perhaps schedule a campus tour over the summer, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned

umm..
    You are putting way too much effort into something that won't even matter in the end.
    Does anyone know of colleges that would be a good fit for an ENTP, or any sort of creative thinker?
    I have two answers.

1) None. I've known many suspected entps in college. The one thing that they have in common is this...they think college is bs. They're there just to get their degree and get out. College...especially undergrad....has very little to do with creative thinking. It's just a huge game to see who has the ability to work the hardest. Especially if you are an engineering/hard science major....and business. Those are basically istj majors. The intjs get the A's. The istjs get the B's. The entps drop out. The sp's never even start...and the ntps do all of the above....over and over. Grades won't reflect how intelligent you are, they'll reflect how badly you want a good gpa.

Besides, I've never known an np to have stuck with the same major from beginning to end. I've had around 8 majors. I got tired of counting after I change it for the fifth time.

2) One with a high rate of drug use. I imagine there are a bunch of "creative thinking" types at colleges where 80%+ of the student body is a druggie of some sort. (Read..nps who love to get high...and sps who love to get high and party...)

Why not just go to community college...find relevant part time work...get an easy 4.0 GPA...and get a four year degree with little to no debt?

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

If you regard undergraduate degrees as merely pieces of paper that help you secure employment, then wouldn't you choose the university that is perceived as more prestigious in your respective field?

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Did SAT scores change? When I applied the highest was 1800.

the old SAT combined was 1600.
    now it's 2400: math, verbal is now split into 1. reading and 2. writing + essay (12points)
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken